Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Can my DNA be wiped remotely through Exchange?

I recently set up my work email on my (personal) DNA. When I set it up, I did not see the warning message that I have seen on other Android devices when setting up Exchange accounts, saying basically "Your Exchange admin now has the ability to remotely wipe your phone."

So does that ability exist, in spite of no warning? I really want to be sure of what situation I'm in. And I'm not going to talk to my Exchange admins about this - they are very unhelpful and I don't want to give them any ideas. Thanks for any input.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Can my DNA be wiped remotely through Exchange?

It depends on your exchange account settings and how the admins have it set up. My exchange account is set up so that if 10 incorrect pin numbers are entered, the phone will be wiped. You can also set the timeout between asking for the pin or password if the admin has it set up. You should really talk to the admins and see what the policy is.
    "He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    tbd

There is a strong chance I will be getting the DNA in the next month or so. If I do, I will try and remember to let you know. Our Exchange is setup to do wipes, so if I don't get that message when I set mine up I will be interested in finding out why not. I didn't think that warning was determined by the server settings, I just thought it was automatic on all Android devices. Interestingly there is no such warning when setting up Apple devices with an Exchange connection. I work in our IT dept and frequently setup staff members' phones and tablets so I see many different platforms. I generally just click through it without paying attention, but I will have to start paying attention to when I do or do not see it and see if there is a pattern.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

So I talked to my manager, who is in the IT group but is not the Supreme Exalted IT Overlord. He says the wiping/control is enabled on a per-account basis (at least at my company), and mine does not have that, but others do. He says that if that control ever gets enabled for my account, I will get the warning message and will have to have device password enabled, etc. So it looks like I am not in any danger until the status quo changes! Thanks for the pointers.