Anyone else less than enthusiatic bout HTC One coming to VZW?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading in a lot of places that there is a possibility that the HTC One will be coming to VZW soon (Walmart leak, but I'm genuinely unsure of its trustworthiness). For those of you who are opposed to it, why? And for those of you eager for it to hit Big Red, do you intend on upgrading?

I personally am afraid that if it comes to VZW, support for the DNA will be nonexistant. I bought my DNA on contract a month ago for $199.99. There is speculation that if the ONE where to arrive, the DNA could be discontinued or discounted. Two years is a long time to stick with a phone that won't have much support if any, and buying off contract isn't much of a possibility for me. I love my DNA and am not envious of the ONE, but with its hype and flagship status, the DNA could be reduced to the lesser little brother status. Opinions?

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

garl6

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad the One is (rumored to be) coming to Verizon, for HTC's sake. However, I agree with you. I can just envision the Droid DNA losing support. If it becomes truly bothersome, I will probably root. I just don't want to go through the hassle and I'm not very tech savvy.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
...I personally am afraid that if it comes to VZW, support for the DNA will be nonexistant... There is speculation that if the ONE where to arrive, the DNA could be discontinued or discounted. Two years is a long time to stick with a phone that won't have much support if any...I love my DNA and am not envious of the ONE, but with its hype and flagship status, the DNA could be reduced to the lesser little brother status.

I'm glad the One is (rumored to be) coming to Verizon, for HTC's sake. However, I agree with you. I can just envision the Droid DNA losing support. If it becomes truly bothersome, I will probably root. I just don't want to go through the hassle...

Ditto with both of you. If the DNA gets the kind of support that the Thunderbolt did (my previous phone), then I'm pretty sure the DNA will be my first rooted phone.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm indifferent about the ONE coming. I wish I could buy the damn thing, but I do love my dna. Also, If my phone never gets updated, I'll be Ok. My phone works amazing now, why does it need to be updated? I've never understood why people get so upset if they don't get an update they're never promised or owed in the first place. And it only happens with phones (for the most part). I mean does anyone get upset when ford doesn't update their interior after a year? Or when Sony doesn't update parts in their tv when new ones come out? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm indifferent about the ONE coming. I wish I could buy the damn thing, but I do love my dna. Also, If my phone never gets updated, I'll be Ok. My phone works amazing now, why does it need to be updated? I've never understood why people get so upset if they don't get an update they're never promised or owed in the first place. And it only happens with phones (for the most part). I mean does anyone get upset when ford doesn't update their interior after a year? Or when Sony doesn't update parts in their tv when new ones come out? It just doesn't make sense to me.

You make a good point, but there are still issues with my phone that id like to see address in an update. SIM issue, Google now issue/pandora issues (my phone randomly opens Google now while playing Pandora and places a 1 sec call to my husband. It will do this sporadically until I quit Pandora and restart the app.) Option to set recent apps as menu key, etc. If support for the DNA ceases, we will be less likely to see another update. I don't want to root my phone because it will void my insurance/warranty and with my clumsiness, I can't afford that. I could care less about getting new versions of android or sense or what not.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
You make a good point, but there are still issues with my phone that id like to see address in an update. SIM issue, Google now issue/pandora issues (my phone randomly opens Google now while playing Pandora and places a 1 sec call to my husband. It will do this sporadically until I quit Pandora and restart the app.) Option to set recent apps as menu key, etc. If support for the DNA ceases, we will be less likely to see another update. I don't want to root my phone because it will void my insurance/warranty and with my clumsiness, I can't afford that. I could care less about getting new versions of android or sense or what not.

If they fix the SIM issue, I'll be the happiest person alive.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
And if they don't fix the SIM issue soon scream bloody murder and they just might exchange the DNA with a ONE! Make sure when you call Verizon every time you have the SIM issue get it documented on your account.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
And if they don't fix the SIM issue soon scream bloody murder and they just might exchange the DNA with a ONE! Make sure when you call Verizon every time you have the SIM issue get it documented on your account.

Yep might have to start doing that unfortunately. A fix would have come by now if they had one.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have gone directly to the Verizon store with my phone in hand everytime I've had the SIM issue and all they have done is reseat the SIM, and I have had the SIM replaced once. It didn't fix the problem. I don't see them replacing dnas with ones anytime in the future unless the DNA is discontinued. Even then I feel they would offer a lesser device.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately our opinion on these matters means nothing. Great conversation and maybe some solace convincing ourselves of what we want to happen.
In the end Verizon as well as others will do whatever they need to increase their revenue stream, period.
The potential release of the HTC has no bearing on when the DNA was released nor does Verizon really care. There are always hoards of customers coming off of their 2 year contract with other models and the latest greatest will be their target.
The Verizon S3 has known GPS issues (I know, Verizon swapped my third S3 for a DNA for this reason). Yet, Samsung has done nothing to correct the problem but they had no issues introducing the S4.
The DNA is doomed with the potential release of the HTC One and S4, no different that any other outdated model (unfortunately becoming outdated in the smart phone market takes about 2 months).
It is our desire and our doom that we have to have the latest and greatest (guilty here). We created this phenomenon and now we get to live with it.
Seriously, do any of us really use any of the new smart phones to their fullest capability? All the screens look great to me, I can no longer tell if one is better.
Speed? I hear the DNA is faster than the S3, I can't tell the difference.
I digress; in response the OP's question "Anyone else less than enthusiatic bout HTC One coming to VZW?" I can't wait for the HTC One to come to Verizon....Lord help me.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Bug fixes in my eyes are different than updates. Because you're right, there are some quirky things that need to be addressed. Let's hope that bug fixes will continue, and that maybe we will be graced with an Android update in the future

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had/have mixed feelings. I was seriously considering the dna but hadn't purchased it yet, so I should be happy that I can get the one instead. But I'm conflicted that I like the looks of the dna better but I don't want to get stuck with a discontinued phone (plus what I hear about this sim issue and battery life makes me nervous).

On the third hand though, maybe dna's will be free/cheap when the one comes out ;) !

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I had/have mixed feelings. I was seriously considering the dna but hadn't purchased it yet, so I should be happy that I can get the one instead. But I'm conflicted that I like the looks of the dna better but I hear about this sim issue and get nervous (and still not sure about battery life).

At this point you might as well wait for the one. Gonna be a good phone

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
At this point you might as well wait for the one. Gonna be a good phone

Sorry osu I edited my post after you quoted it. I always like hearing your advice, you think the one will be better? I'm not sure I like metal phones, seems like they'd be cold and . . well . . cold =)

musashisan

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If the HTC One comes to Verizon, I will switch to the HTC One (if possible) just because I'm ready to throw my DNA in the garbage due to this SIM card issue. To echo what someone already mentioned in this thread, call Verizon tech support directly every time you have the SIM card issue. They escalate to HTC but the last response was on Feb 13th (according to Verizon tech support this past Friday.) The response was they are "working with their SIM card vendor. Still investigating." They will only escalate faster if more people call in.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC One looks like it ain't coming, check the other thread on this forum.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to root my phone because it will void my insurance/warranty and with my clumsiness, I can't afford that.

Personally, I've never had a situation where they wouldn't replace my phone if it was rooted and the alternative, while unethical, would be just to say that you lost it.

As to the other thread on this topic, the link the luke31 is referencing and posted is this from HTC's Twitter: https://twitter.com/HTCUSA/status/312646476293627904

" The HTC One will not be available on the Verizon network, but have you seen the awesome, #DROIDDNA? Droid DNA by HTC - HTC Smartphones "

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I've never had a situation where they wouldn't replace my phone if it was rooted and the alternative, while unethical, would be just to say that you lost it.

As to the other thread on this topic, the link the luke31 is referencing and posted is this from HTC's Twitter: https://twitter.com/HTCUSA/status/312646476293627904

" The HTC One will not be available on the Verizon network, but have you seen the awesome, #DROIDDNA? Droid DNA by HTC - HTC Smartphones "

Ive been told that Verizon has a way of seeing that the DNA has been rooted even if you unroot. I'm not tech savvy, so rooting isn't a big deal to me anyways, but I wouldnt do it if I felt it would hinder any future replacements. As it is, I don't like being dishonest, especially with insurance companies. And the tweet seems pretty solid. No sleep lost for me.

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Saw a post on another forum stating DNA is backordered on Verizon website until 3/29...maybe low on stock on purpose?

Pure speculation at this point. I'm less than enthusiastic because the One is dead to me due to the fact I can't upgrade for another 20 months...I don't have the desire (or the ability) to pay out of pocket full price either...I have a small child to raise LOL (priorities people!).

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I posted on HTC Facebook page about the One. Their response it is not coming, now knowing Verizon it will be probably be rebranded. :thumbdown:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781