Anyone else still having problem with WiFi?

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
What I found that seems to work is, I go to advanced settings for the wifi frequency band and set it to 2.4 ghz instead of auto, and I use best wifi performance and those settings seem to work best on public networks.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not too worried about public networks. I just wish I could watch an episode of once upon a time without it buffering because I keep losing signal :-(

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too worried about public networks. I just wish I could watch an episode of once upon a time without it buffering because I keep losing signal :-(

A lot of public locations also throttle their Wifi down to 10 mbps max even through the spec would allow 100 mbps. They do this to ensure that streaming or gaming does not dominate the network backbone.

Regarding "Once Upon a Time", the queen did it.....

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My home WiFi is only 15mbps lol and I'm lucky to get 4...

You need to look into that. Something is wrong with your wifi access point or router, or with your ISP connection. Who is your ISP and what speed are you contracted to receive.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Time warner cable, we are contracted with up to 15mbps, pay almost $60 a month.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368221218950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368221218950.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32

fingercuffs

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you get similar results on your laptop or tablet (provided you have either)? If so, it's probably your router or modem.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you get similar results on your laptop or tablet (provided you have either)? If so, it's probably your router or modem.

I haven't tried running speed test on them, but my laptop is constantly disconnecting from WiFi/showing low signal too. I think its worse on my phone because its a combination of the two. I had the same problem in Tucson a few weeks ago on my moms internet getting 30mbps and it'd still show low signal and disconnect or say no connection.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Jeniffer,

That is unacceptably slow. Do you have a faster speed on a computer attached via ethernet? I not, I would contacting Time Warner and asking them about the speed. Maybe they can troubleshoot the connection.

Another thing to try is getting your own cable modem if you use one from Time Warner. We have Comcast and our speed doubled when got a Motorola cable modem. (It was essentially since free since we no longer have to pay the $5/mo rent.) Supposedly the Motorola SB6141 works well with on Time Warner.

FWIW, I get 25+mbit/sec on my Nexus 7, 10, DNA, and Macbook via Wifi, and the same with my ethernet connected PCs.

Jerry

aicole

May 13, 2013
Visit site
If you are in an area with multiple public networks interference can be an issue. For example if there are two shops nearby both using the same channel as you move through the store you will have an interference issue.
Cheap Women Dresses

Last edited:

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
One other thing folks with wifi issues can try is to open up wifi, go into settings, advanced wifi and set wifi frequency band to auto. I was having connection issues and noticed it was set to 2.4 ghz only. Changing it to auto cleared up my issues.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
My Wi-Fi has been dropping whenever I lock my phone ever since the update. It's really annoying actually. Is there any word from HTC on when this will be be fixed? Things are starting to get a little annoying.

Also I don't know what the Wi-Fi capabilities of the DNA are but at home we have 80mbps down and I've never seen more than 17mbps down on the DNA. Whereas I'll get 80+ down on laptops and desktops over WiFi in the same physical location. Is this normal?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to try the laptop speedtest option as I so rarely use it, but i have called TWC and they pretty much told us it was because we were connecting more than one object on the internet (ie, our PlayStation, two phones, and a laptop, even though only the ps3 and one of the phones were currently USING the WiFi.) When we first got the internet we were averaging about 11mbps, and then two days later our internet stopped working entirely. Called TWC, they came out three days later, fixed it, (an unauthorized tech came out and installed a blocker for no reason), three days later I couldn't get a wired connection to work because it said that there was no network access point. Tech came out and fixed it again after having to delete our ssid and reset everything, a few weeks later and its back to doing the same thing. I can only use our internet via WiFi. They promised a refund for the two weeks out of a month that we didn't have service and we havent seen a dime. If it weren't for the fact that they are pretty much the only internet provider we can get here, id switch. The only other provider is ATT uverse, and they only offer 1mbps up in our area. Which is bogus. I live in the NE area of San Antonio, not the boondocks.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
That's crazy! Isn't that like the seventh most populous state in the US? My only two options were TWC or AT&T, but we recently got Verizon. I had 30 mbps from TWC for like $55 and I'm in Fontana, some crappy socal city. If I were you I would just have them set it up so you can hook up your own decent N router up and not worry about the TWC routers. Those things are pieces of junk, we had so many problems with it.

Today my Wi-Fi disconnected a few times while I was using it and had a DNS server lookup failure and I had to reconnect. If we don't get any news soon I'm gonna go complain to Verizon...

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the double post but I just saw something interesting!
After unlocking my phone just now it unlocked to the last home screen I was on, the one with my power control widget. My Wi-Fi was disconnected and my Wi-Fi button showed that Wi-Fi was turned off! Not just disconnected. It then turned Wi-Fi back on automatically and connected to my default network.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried running speed test on them, but my laptop is constantly disconnecting from WiFi/showing low signal too. I think its worse on my phone because its a combination of the two. I had the same problem in Tucson a few weeks ago on my moms internet getting 30mbps and it'd still show low signal and disconnect or say no connection.

Try switching servers on Speed Test Jennifer, you would be amazed at the differences in the different servers.

Sent from my HTC DNA

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I still see Wifi sleeping with the screen off but no issues when connected

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368520765248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368520765248.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 23

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
This is what I get on my phone where I get 80mbps steady on my laptop.

Do we have any word from HTC or Verizon on when there will be a fix for the disconnection problem.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368633350074.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368633350074.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz