Using wifey's upgrade..help making decision coming from the Rezzie

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
All right folks..I have been on the Rezound for little over a year and I can honestly say it is the first phone I have truly loved. Thanks to the awesome dev community battery life has never been as big a deal as folks said it was with this device, and of course reception, screen quality etc have been superb for a device that was once the first HD device on Big Red.
My wifey has been sitting on an upgrade since last year so rather than wait til 2014 she is fine with my using her upgrade and passing the Rezzie to her (it would be too hard for me to say goodbye to that device so this way it will find a good home)

Sssssooooo...rather than wait for the VZW GS4 or its version of the HTC One I am planning to take advantage of the price drops on some of the previous top devices; namely the Droid Razr Maxx HD, the GS3 and of course the DNA.

When doing a quick search using Google I found several threads about this particular dilemma but none seem to be recent enough to take the Maxx's JB update into account (said to have improved its major weak spot..the camera). I thought I had it all figured out and I would either get the Maxx for battery life or the S3 simply because of the dev community (and never having owned a Sammy in the Android realm). Now that the DNA has dropped/is dropping in price I find myself in a pickle. The DNA appears to be a much improved and larger version of the Rezzie but like everyone..the lack of a removable battery and limited internal storage worries me.

I realize the folks in here may be biased but..any words of wisdom for this first world problem?

Thx!

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
As far as non expandable storage goes only you know if that's going to be a problem for you. I don't store 50 million songs and 700 movies on my phone. I also don't keep large amounts of photos on my phone, I backup to the cloud and the computer so if something happens to my phone I don't lose my pics.

Non removable battery doesn't bother me. If that does bother you then rule out the Maxx as well.

The DNA is the first phone I have had that I'm happy with. Screen, camera, size and feel, quad core under the hood and for my usage even battery life has been excellent.

What's right for me may not be right for you, go to a store play with them and decide which one is right for you. You're the one who is going to be stuck with it for awhile.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Go with the Note 2 you wont be sorry. No its not to big. If you go with the DNA make sure they sell you a second generation unit you can tell by the model number having a 2 as the last digit.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Metz65 makes a solid point: go play with the phones and then decide which one is right for you. The Note 2 is a great device, and if, after playing with it, you think you can get used to the size, then maybe it's the right one for you. If it's too big, check out the DNA, S3, Razr Maxx HD, etc and see if one is the right one for you. However, if you're partial to HTC, and want to save some money, the DNA really is a very nice phone imo.

I had originally bought the DNA, used, to tide me over until the S4, XPhone, or something else came out, but I've had such a positive user experience with it that I'm going to keep it and pass on the other phones. Good luck with your choice, and I think you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If I could add some thoughts, I put the DNA in my hands and knew instantly that it was for me. Loved it's feel, size and HD screen. Battery? My wife got 14 hours on hers today before she let it die. She was to lazy to put it on the charger.... Yes wireless charger. We love them. I have never owned a Sammy. Weighed my options on HTC vs Sammy. I looked at the skins and sense was a good feel... I had a HTC prior to my DNA. The 16 gig internal storage... I was only using a 2 gig card for my one v...lol. Go with the DNA, u won't regret it!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The plastic rear covers of the galaxy series are god-awful. That and the AMOLED screen prompted to get rid of my GS3 and from the looks of it the GS4 won't be much different.

parallax2

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Like you I came from the Rezound. It was a good phone but I hated the battery life! When I first saw the DNA I knew I had to have and like you I also used my wife's upgrade. I love everything about this phone except for the storage space. While I haven't "run out" yet I find myself with only 2-3 gigs of free space at any one time and usually try to move things I don't need all the time to DropBox. Not a deal breaker by any means but I always worry I'll run out. I can't store all the music I had on the Rez on the DNA which kind of sucks if I think of something I used to be able to listen to when I had more room. And time doesn't stand still so any new music potentially means some old music will have to go or be stored on the cloud which means using my data (not unlimited) to access my own songs. Still, when all is said and done the good outweighs the bad for me.

PRO:
Great screen size and picture
Excellent battery life
Wireless charging
Presumably will receive more updates than Rez

CONS
No removable storage
No removable battery
Can't unlock after update (for now)

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the words of wisdom folks. Just went to compare all three in the store and I have to say it was love at first sight with the dna. Beautiful device.. Not just sort of a larger Rezound like it seemed similar to in pics. I think it kinda made the gs3 and especially the RAZR hd look like crap IMHO. Only thing that concerns me a bit still is battery life but from what I heard it's on par with the gs3 which is probably good enough for me. Sense 5 roms out there look nice.

Note 2 is Def nice but currently out of my price range. I plan to spend big again next spring.. Not seeing enough of a generational gap between the rez and other devices for me to drop 200 or more right now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you could put up with rezounds battery, the DNA's is better. Don't be afraid of the 2020mah battery. 12 to 14 hours of everyday use. I surf alot, utube, and games still get 10 to 12. Hth .....Josh

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc