Upgrade to a DNA? or stick with GNex?

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus right now and its starting to show its age (can't multitask very well, laggy in almost every app, gets warm for no reason, and can run through a single charge in 3 hours with light use). So I was wondering from a person who own a Droid DNA, and preferably has sense 5 on their phone, if you could answer a few questions.
1. How complex is the root process?
2. Does Google Wallet work?
3. Does Google Now work well with the device? (ie it doesn't lag while searching and displays notifications for travel, sports etc)
4. How long does the battery last while running Sense 5?
5. Is the speaker loud?
6. Is it worth getting a wireless charging dock?
7. Does the DNA get warm/hot with use?

If you have anything else you would like to add please do, I really like my Nexus and don't want to loose some of the features its has, but its driving me insane with how its performing right now.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus right now and its starting to show its age (can't multitask very well, laggy in almost every app, gets warm for no reason, and can run through a single charge in 3 hours with light use). So I was wondering from a person who own a Droid DNA, and preferably has sense 5 on their phone, if you could answer a few questions.
3. Does Google Now work well with the device? (ie it doesn't lag while searching and displays notifications for travel, sports etc)
5. Is the speaker loud?

If you have anything else you would like to add please do, I really like my Nexus and don't want to loose some of the features its has, but its driving me insane with how its performing right now.

I can't comment on rooting or the sense 5 Rom, but I can say if you buy a DNA and are hoping to root, look for a factory DNA without the Feb 14th OTA because it relocked the bootloader. This is truly a spectacular device. Without rooting, I average 12-15 hours on charge depending on my useage which varies between moderate and heavy. I have my device in an otterbox defender and even when using while attached to the charger, it remains at an average temperature (with no noticeable increase in temperature minus heat transfer from your palms.)

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I will second the 12 to 15 on the battery. I have sense 4+. Its great, but can't get sense 5 because I'm using ota 2.04. That's the way it came. But once the bootloader is unlocked I probably will not root/ROM. That's how much I like my DNA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
5. Is the speaker loud?

1. As listed by Jennifer. It isn't doable right now. I'm rooted and unlocked. It was easy
2. Wallet. I'm not sure. I don't use it
3. Google meow. It's great.
4. I'm running sense5. Battery life has been awesome. I'm really a happy camper.
5. Ohhhh yes. Loud it is.:thumbup:
6. If I had the extra bones to toss at a charging pillow. I would grab one. That's just an awesome feature.
7. It does get a little warm. When gaming. Other than that I'm gonna have to say no.

Last but not least.
tapatalk_1343865634520.jpg

Adding my 5sense

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear, I'll start keeping an eye out on Craigslist for one or wait till Verizon starts that new phone payment plan program. Maybe if I am lucky there will be an announcement before then that Verizon is getting the HTC One, but with my luck it will come the day after I get the phone or my return date has passed.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear, I'll start keeping an eye out on Craigslist for one or wait till Verizon starts that new phone payment plan program. Maybe if I am lucky there will be an announcement before then that Verizon is getting the HTC One, but with my luck it will come the day after I get the phone or my return date has passed.

Wait...what? Payment plan? I like the sound of that definitely. Where. When. How? Now?

Adding my 5sense

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait...what? Payment plan? I like the sound of that definitely. Where. When. How? Now?

Adding my 5sense

Verizon announced a new payment plan for phones today for people who want to buy a new phone at full retail value before their 2 year contract ends. They add a $2.50 charge per month to the bill and it lasts 12 months, seems like a worth while opportunity to get a new phone sooner to me. Hopefully there will be a way to pay more frequently in larger amounts than what their system is set up with, but more information will be released before they start the plan on the 21st.

Source: Verizon to offer smartphone payment plan, but no break on subsidies | Android Central

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, when did your GNex update to 4.2, and did you do a factory reset? That really helped mine.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, when did your GNex update to 4.2, and did you do a factory reset? That really helped mine.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

Put 4.2.2 on maybe a two months ago with a fresh install. Helped for maybe a week or so then it went back its normal ways of poor performance and poor battery life. I was doing some research about what might have caused this and it seems that it could have stemmed from using the Nexus 7 charger. Since it puts out a higher voltage while charging it has been known to degrade the battery and circuit boards on the phone. Either way my charging port is still busted and not working correctly and needs to be in a certain position to work (and is not the cord, checked that already on multiple devices).

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
5. Is the speaker loud?

I can also comment that the speaker is plenty loud, in fact, I often listen to media below max volume. Google now runs as is expected, no lag, up to date traffic, etc, but I have it disabled on my phone because I am old school and havent gotten accustomed to the live tiles and such. I have read that Verizon blocked Google wallet, but it may work when or if rooted. I am also on the sidelines waiting for a possible way to unlock the bootloader so I can flash sense5.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

NinerJet9

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have both right now. I just got the DNA a few days ago and while I like the looks, screen, and superior radio reception there are a few things I don't like. The DNA is a bigger phone (duh) and I didn't think the extra size would make much difference but it does in a bad way. The gnex just fits me better and is mote comfortable to hold. 4.1 w sense 4+ is meh. I love the clean and sterile environment of 4.2.2 and Iyworks plenty fast on the gnex. The DNA on 4.1 does give a smoother all around experience w less built in features. Add expandable memory, removable battery and more future is updates and it makes the old gnex hard to give up. I think when sense5 and 4.2 come it will make the DNA much more desirable.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a hard time not recommending this phone to people. It has been hands down the best phone I have ever owned. Seeing as how most people already answered your questions I just wanted to give a DNA recommendation when I have the chance. If you are a power user or someone who stores a lot on their phone it may not be for you. Otherwise it's a fantastic all around device.

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard time not recommending this phone to people. It has been hands down the best phone I have ever owned. Seeing as how most people already answered your questions I just wanted to give a DNA recommendation when I have the chance. If you are a power user or someone who stores a lot on their phone it may not be for you. Otherwise it's a fantastic all around device.

Not a power user, just use my phone for web surfing, twitter, facebook, music, etc. No games or anything like that. But I store everything on the cloud so I don't care if the phone came with 512mb of storage. I am glad to see that people who own the phone are saying the battery life is much better than predictions, I just hope Verizon is still selling units with the pre-Feb OTA update.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Google Wallet does not work on any AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon branded phones. Its blocked and can't be used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Amazon wireless is shipping ones already on the update. I know... mine's one of them!

Noob question: If you get the phone from Amazon does it still have the Verizon bloatware on it?

I've read that Verizon is getting rid of the DNA in their stores as they are pushing the HTC One instead. If that's true then Amazon will likely be where I get my DNA when my upgrade (finally) rolls around in July. I don't think I'll even consider the One since I want inductive charging and that's just not going to happen with that phone.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes it has the bloat. Hence only11.5gigs of usable storage. But I love the inductive charging. I've got the Nokia dt900. Works perfectly.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes it has the bloat. Hence only11.5gigs of usable storage. But I love the inductive charging. I've got the Nokia dt900. Works perfectly.

That's what I figured but one can always hope. :)

I don't think the space limitation or the non-removable battery will be an issue for me. As long as the latest firmware update has really fixed the SIM card issue the DNA should be the right phone for me. I was a little worried about the size of the phone (I'm using a DINC 2 now) but I made a cardboard "phone" the size of the DNA and it fits my pocket nicely. I have 4 phones on the plan and two of them are eligible for upgrades now but I can't use a transferred upgrade unless I buy directly from Verizon and they want twice as much as other places so I guess I'm stuck waiting until July when my phone's upgrade rolls around. I find it really annoying that I can't buy somewhere else with a transferred upgrade from another phone.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I was just looking around and found letstalk.com

They list the DNA at $69.99 with free shipping. I'm almost certain I read about the site somewhere else and people were saying they could get the HTC One without the Verizon bloatware by buying from letstalk. I don't remember where I read it. Anybody here familiar with this vendor?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca