Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    CM10.2

Default Charger Question, and possible problems.

So, I've had androids since the Moto Droid 1, and have always used my old chargers. I bought a mini USB car charger back when I had the Droid 1. I used all of the same chargers on my HTC Thunderbolt as well and never had any issues with slow charging or battery deterioration.

The first time I noticed a problem was when I was charging my DNA with a charger I've used for quite a while. Its an LG charger from one of my friends LG phones, I think it was the Revolution? It says it outputs 4.8V. On the DNA occasionally I'll get a notification that says something along the lines of "Slow charging, please charge the phone with the charger that came with the phone." This happens on my car charger as well, except it says something different, I forget because I was driving but it said something like The phone is barely charging at all, please use a different charger lol.

Anybody know why this is? I'm not at home so I haven't had a chance to check the output on the stock DNA charger. Should I not use these chargers? It would be a pain to have to buy 2 new chargers :/

Default Re: Charger Question, and possible problems.

Its not going to hurt the phone having less charging capacity. It will just take longer.

As for replacing/updating to newer chargers. IMO just hit Amazon or something online and grab the OEM knockoffs for a few bucks.. I've got handfuls of them and they work just like the OEM right out of the box... Buck or two for the cable and another buck for the wall adapter.. Car charger I think I just paid $3.00 for a Sprint branded charger and it works the same as my wife's " official " Sprint purchased car charger for $25.00...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    So, I've had androids since the Moto Droid 1, and have always used my old chargers. I bought a mini USB car charger back when I had the Droid 1. I used all of the same chargers on my HTC Thunderbolt as well and never had any issues with slow charging or battery deterioration.

The first time I noticed a problem was when I was charging my DNA with a charger I've used for quite a while. Its an LG charger from one of my friends LG phones, I think it was the Revolution? It says it outputs 4.8V. On the DNA occasionally I'll get a notification that says something along the lines of "Slow charging, please charge the phone with the charger that came with the phone." This happens on my car charger as well, except it says something different, I forget because I was driving but it said something like The phone is barely charging at all, please use a different charger lol.

Anybody know why this is? I'm not at home so I haven't had a chance to check the output on the stock DNA charger. Should I not use these chargers? It would be a pain to have to buy 2 new chargers :/
    Simple answer.... "ALWAYS" use the charger that came with and made for the phone you are trying to charge. There is a reason that the manufacture provides a charger for their phone and it could be something as simple as amperage or any other reason. Use the right charger and you won't have anymore issues. Thanks for the question and I am sure this will work.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Carrier
    CM10.2

Damn, two way different answers haha. I'll probably err on the side of caution considering I should be able to find OEM knockoffs pretty cheap. I'll check them out right now on Amazon. If you guys have any recommendations for the DNA let me know!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Damn, two way different answers haha. I'll probably err on the side of caution considering I should be able to find OEM knockoffs pretty cheap. I'll check them out right now on Amazon. If you guys have any recommendations for the DNA let me know!
    I agree that oem chargers are the safe way to go, but if you search the forum for a thread I made about the same issue, I was using the oem charger and still getting that message. I posted pictures. Sometimes it can be a weak outlet, sometimes the charger is going out, and sometimes there is no sense to be made of it. I can use a 3rd party charger and get the message, but if I unplug it a few times, change outlets a few times, it will go away.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Carrier
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I agree that oem chargers are the safe way to go, but if you search the forum for a thread I made about the same issue, I was using the oem charger and still getting that message. I posted pictures. Sometimes it can be a weak outlet, sometimes the charger is going out, and sometimes there is no sense to be made of it. I can use a 3rd party charger and get the message, but if I unplug it a few times, change outlets a few times, it will go away.

That's interesting. The charger I'm using right now is on a full power strip, but there aren't any extremely power hungry devices plugged in. I'll plug it into the wall and test it out as well.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Carrier
    CM10.2

What do you guys think about this? Amazon.com: EMPIRE CE Certified AC Home Wall Charger for HTC DROID DNA: Cell Phones & Accessories

I was thinking about picking up a couple. I only need one USB adapter, the wall chargers are nice.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

What do you guys think about this? Amazon.com: EMPIRE CE Certified AC Home Wall Charger for HTC DROID DNA: Cell Phones & Accessories

I was thinking about picking up a couple. I only need one USB adapter, the wall chargers are nice.
    Im anal about chargers, ill only use usb adapters and outlets. I always have the sour luck of a shortage from the cord to the base on corded chargers.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Carrier
    CM10.2

I like the USB one for data transfer etc. but I rarely use it on my DNA since my music is all on google play and there's barely any storage on it anyway. I use the wall chargers when I'm at work and my phone is just chilling, and I'm not using it, or when I charge it over night.

P.S. I have no remorse for the "over-charging" problems. I've been doing it for years and have not had a SINGLE problem.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

I like the USB one for data transfer etc. but I rarely use it on my DNA since my music is all on google play and there's barely any storage on it anyway. I use the wall chargers when I'm at work and my phone is just chilling, and I'm not using it, or when I charge it over night.

P.S. I have no remorse for the "over-charging" problems. I've been doing it for years and have not had a SINGLE problem.
    I leave my phone plugged in over night as well ;-) I think its more of a precautionary tale than anything. I also like being able to grab my usb cord and bring it to the car, plug it in through the usb slot I have in my radio.

On other notes, my oem charger died a month into use.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Carrier
    CM10.2

Ah, I don't have a USB slot in my stereo. Hopefully when I upgrade I'll be able to do that, but for now I'm stuck with the car chargers :/

I've never had an OEM charger die on my before. Sucks :/

This issue seems to be just random sometimes chargers work one day and slow charge the next and it is slow if I'm on the phone or using GPS I'll actually lose charge. It is quite annoying and I've never had another phone do this before and I've had quite a few phones.