Galaxy S4 vs DNA

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You're saying plastic is just as strong and resilient as aluminum? Because I could list a lot of things that are made of aluminum that I would never want made of plastic.

I think you're taking the word 'plastic' out of context. The development of plastics has played an integral role in almost every bit of technology we've had since the turn of the 20th century. If you're worried about durability, just remember that Kevlar fiber is a plastic polymer, and it was created in the 60s (in the world of science and technology, it might as well been when the dinosaurs roamed)! Not to mention that plastics chemistry is still a hotbed of research with nanotechnology becoming increasingly prolific. Aluminum construction in these devices is more about aesthetics than durability. The only reason this discussion comes up is because most manufacturers use fairly inexpensive plastic polymers that don't exude quality and may be a bit too brittle.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Even Samsung seems to be concerned about the perception of the build quality of their phones. Do a Google search for "Samsung to improve build quality" .

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you're taking the word 'plastic' out of context. The development of plastics has played an integral role in almost every bit of technology we've had since the turn of the 20th century. If you're worried about durability, just remember that Kevlar fiber is a plastic polymer, and it was created in the 60s (in the world of science and technology, it might as well been when the dinosaurs roamed)! Not to mention that plastics chemistry is still a hotbed of research with nanotechnology becoming increasingly prolific. Aluminum construction in these devices is more about aesthetics than durability. The only reason this discussion comes up is because most manufacturers use fairly inexpensive plastic polymers that don't exude quality and may be a bit too brittle.

No, I get what you're saying. However, I was just taken back a bit by the other guy saying that these polymers could withstand as much of a beating as metals, but without providing proof of said "facts". In phones alone, I could understand that, but anything on a larger scale, I'm not so sure

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I speak as an engineer. Unless the Samsung phone is failing due to poor quality - and they aren't - then I'm sorry, you have no basis to call it poor quality. You may not LIKE it, but that doesn't mean it's poor quality. It's made from material YOU do not prefer and you have a mistaken impression that plastic is a poor choice for a phone. It's not. It's an excellent choice. It just doesn't feel as solid as heavy as metal does. But it withstands impact just as well, protects the internals just as well, lasts just as long. It's easier and less costly to produce and makes for a lighter phone. So you are welcome to your opinion of the FEEL of the phone - to you it feels better. But you cannot say with any real factual basis that it's not as good because you are, simply, wrong.

And I'm not speaking for the masses. I'm stating fact. The masses are often not terribly well informed when it comes to strength of materials or mechanical engineering, instead substituting subjective impressions for proper evaluation. In other words, if the masses also think the Samsung is inferior then the masses don't know what they are talking about. I will never argue that some materials don't feel better in the hand, but that doesn't mean a thing as to the actual quality of the device.

Personally I'd rather have a device that doesn't ding and dent when I look at it crosseyed. Aluminum is many things, but tough and resilient it isn't. I'm very sure the HTC phone chassis is a good one, but it's not physically and mechanically superior to the Samsung.

I'm reminded of some of the old Intellimouse Explorers. They had the same plastic shell the cheaper ones did, but to give the impression they were better the had a slab of steel glued inside to make them heavy. Note that they WERE better electronically and electromechanically. But tat had to do with the electroncis - not the chunk of metal, which was a marketing thing. A perception thing, And wholly misleading.

I can't even begin to list how many times you put words in my mouth. "Mistaken impression that plastic is a poor choice for a phone"??? Did I say that?
You are trying way to hard to be right....
Really, it bugs you that much that so many feel that the Samsung phones feel and look cheap?
I'm guessing that you own one? You can factually list all of the benefits of plastic but it still doesn't change what a lot of people think of their products.
Like I said originally, kick *** phone (internals, etc.) but it feels cheap.
After all that rambling many will still feel that the phone feels and looks cheap, sorry. The good news, you can buy all you want and I won't try to convince you not to.
My existence and peace of mind do not revolve around what people think of the phone I own.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
You're saying plastic is just as strong and resilient as aluminum? Because I could list a lot of things that are made of aluminum that I would never want made of plastic.

And you could make a list of things made of plastic you'd never want made of aluminum. So what? And yes I am saying just exactly that - correctly used and in the right application, plastic is better than aluminum. A phone is an example of that application. It doesn't need the heat resistance of aluminum. It doesn't need the tensile strength of aluminum. It does need the ability to form fine detail and structures and to absorb impact which plastics excel at. Especially polycarbonates, which is what the things are made of.

The companies chose their materials for different reasons. Samsung chose theirs to be the most pragmatically best case material. They make phones and tabs out of it and they have no problems. HTC chose aluminum because it makes a decent case and the perception (not fact, perception) of quality was important to them. And they did a super job - the One is a work of art. But it's not going to last any longer than the S4.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I get what you're saying. However, I was just taken back a bit by the other guy saying that these polymers could withstand as much of a beating as metals, but without providing proof of said "facts". In phones alone, I could understand that, but anything on a larger scale, I'm not so sure

And you are putting words in my mouth. I am speaking of phones - very specific and even more specifically the HTC One vs Samsung S4 and the logic of Samsungs choice of materials. That's been the topic all along. That's what forum is about - phones. If you talk about stuff like, say, aircraft, then you are moving into to areas aluminum serves. But you will find that in high performance aircraft, aluminum has long been displaced. Aluminum is used in airliners and other large craft because it's easy to work, easy to maintain, reasonably light, cheap, and just strong enough. But you could make them lighter and stronger by ditching aluminum for something better. Ask the military. But they don't care much about cost.

In other places, aluminum never made much of an inroad. Cars for instance. They are made of steel, glass and plastic (gasp), with carbon fiber body panels if you have the money.. Aluminum sucks to finish. So it's harder to put that pretty paint job on. There were a few that used it - and I think Chrysler still does in a few of it's cars - but never very many.

My Saturns were all plastic bodied - I had 5 of those cars. No dents or dings - not even the shopping cart bangs or the idiots opening their doors into mine ever made a mark on my Saturns. So yeah, it was better there too.

I use aluminum where it makes sense to use it. For instance our motors' extruded frame is aluminum. It extrudes well, conducts heat well, and even though it malforms like a b****** when being machined and handled, it does what I want which is transfer heat. But it sure as h*** doesn't hold shape well. I have to support it with steel parts. And anywhere I want precision parts that don't need to take heat but can take deformation and return to shape, I use plastics.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
And you are putting words in my mouth. I am speaking of phones - very specific and even more specifically the HTC One vs Samsung S4 and the logic of Samsungs choice of materials. That's been the topic all along. That's what forum is about - phones. If you talk about stuff like, say, aircraft, then you are moving into to areas aluminum serves. But you will find that in high performance aircraft, aluminum has long been displaced. Aluminum is used in airliners and other large craft because it's easy to work, easy to maintain, reasonably light, cheap, and just strong enough. But you could make them lighter and stronger by ditching aluminum for something better. Ask the military. But they don't care much about cost.

In other places, aluminum never made much of an inroad. Cars for instance. They are made of steel, glass and plastic (gasp), with carbon fiber body panels if you have the money.. Aluminum sucks to finish. So it's harder to put that pretty paint job on. There were a few that used it - and I think Chrysler still does in a few of it's cars - but never very many.

My Saturns were all plastic bodied - I had 5 of those cars. No dents or dings - not even the shopping cart bangs or the idiots opening their doors into mine ever made a mark on my Saturns. So yeah, it was better there too.

I use aluminum where it makes sense to use it. For instance our motors' extruded frame is aluminum. It extrudes well, conducts heat well, and even though it malforms like a b****** when being machined and handled, it does what I want which is transfer heat. But it sure as h*** doesn't hold shape well. I have to support it with steel parts. And anywhere I want precision parts that don't need to take heat but can take deformation and return to shape, I use plastics.

No question plastics are cheaper to use, but in cars,but it's drawbacks at least in cars is it cannot be fixed as it tears in accidents making body work expensive.but back to the topic,the DNA is now available through HTC for 50.00 dollars,making it well worth the purchase,i have very slight issues with mine,i would highly recommend it,if storage space is not a concern.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
No question plastics are cheaper to use, but in cars,but it's drawbacks at least in cars is it cannot be fixed as it tears in accidents making body work expensive.but back to the topic,the DNA is now available through HTC for 50.00 dollars,making it well worth the purchase,i have very slight issues with mine,i would highly recommend it,if storage space is not a concern.

The DNA is at the moment my favorite phone. I paid list for it, and while I tend to use the Note 2 for travel, any other time I carry the DNA. It's awesome. For $50 it's way beyond awesome. The S3 is getting cheap too - also a fantastic deal.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The DNA is at the moment my favorite phone. I paid list for it, and while I tend to use the Note 2 for travel, any other time I carry the DNA. It's awesome. For $50 it's way beyond awesome. The S3 is getting cheap too - also a fantastic deal.

I am still very much in doubt what to do. 50 bucks is pretty awesome but stories about wifi issues, sim card issues and the inability to unlock the bootloader with the latest ota's concern me greatly. :/

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Saying a phone has a "plastic build quality" doesn't make one bit of sense.

Build quality and build materials are not the same thing. Plastic isn't an adjective and can't be used to describe build quality; it just can't.

Doesn't matter if the phone is made from glass, metal, plastic, wood, or adamantium... The material has no bearing on the quality of the construction of the device.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I am still very much in doubt what to do. 50 bucks is pretty awesome but stories about wifi issues, sim card issues and the inability to unlock the bootloader with the latest ota's concern me greatly. :/

Yeah, well, you can go to any phone forum and read about problems with every phone out there. I can't speak to inability to unlock the bootloader, since I've never seen the need to do that. But I've never had a single problem with my DNA. Same is true of the vast majority I'm sure.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, well, you can go to any phone forum and read about problems with every phone out there. I can't speak to inability to unlock the bootloader, since I've never seen the need to do that. But I've never had a single problem with my DNA. Same is true of the vast majority I'm sure.

True that. Probably just seems to stand out more here BC the DNA forum is relatively low in population. Will prolly order the end of the week. That way I can still return the device in case Google or VZW announce anything groundbreaking at the end of the month.

Sent from my Rezound using Android Central Forums

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I just wish that the DNA had 32GB of storage on board. Without an expansion card to put music and video the device is limited in storage. Maybe that gets solved at the VZW announcement on 5/22. Hoping the next Verizon HTC device gets announced then - hopefully the HTC One or a DNA+ device with more storage, keeping wireless charging. I actually like the form factor of the DNA very much. Have an upgrade at the end of the the month available and trying to decide: Galaxy S4, HTC One/DNA or something else.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just wish that the DNA had 32GB of storage on board. Without an expansion card to put music and video the device is limited in storage. Maybe that gets solved at the VZW announcement on 5/22. Hoping the next Verizon HTC device gets announced then - hopefully the HTC One or a DNA+ device with more storage, keeping wireless charging. I actually like the form factor of the DNA very much. Have an upgrade at the end of the the month available and trying to decide: Galaxy S4, HTC One/DNA or something else.

I hope by your upgrade that Verizon has a version of the HTC One available for you.
I finally got the chance to play with a working version (everything prior was one of those dummy phones).
One word...WOW. Felt solid, very fast and the front facing speakers were awesome.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I hope by your upgrade that Verizon has a version of the HTC One available for you.
I finally got the chance to play with a working version (everything prior was one of those dummy phones).
One word...WOW. Felt solid, very fast and the front facing speakers were awesome.

Me too. Not sure that will happen. Backup would be 32GB Galaxy S4.
Have been at the AT&T store and played with both and prefer the HTC ONE.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Nah, it solves several problems. First it makes the phone cheaper to produce. It still sells for the same price as everyone elses phone. So, that helps solve HTCs cash problem. Then since oyu can't store on the device, you;re forced to use more 4G data - this helps solves Verizons problem of how to pay off the new Ferarris.

I didn't say it solved YOUR problem, did I? :)

Not putting removable storage in this thing was dumb. Awesome phone, bad design choice. I can live with it but maybe others need to think about it before buying.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
A bit touchy aren't we? Just saying that if the build quality (plastic) is a significant concern (valid or not) and it is a factor that effects buying decisions......it matters, whether you like it or not.
There are plenty of posts here and other sites that refer to the cheap plastic feel of the Samsung phones, sorry but it's an observation of fact (again whether you like it or not, doesn't change a thing).
Sorry my opinion of the Samsung product has dampened your day, wasn't meant to.

LOL nope, actually not one bit displeased by your opinion. But when you concern to compare the plastic used for the Galaxy as a less than average quality to a metal that in turn may look or feel better in your hand to the acutal asthetics then you have a point that can be disproved. Go drop the phones metal and plastic and tell me which has more resiliency, because more likely than not the metal is going to come out looking way worse than maybe some minor scratches and most likely virtually no denting thanks to the properties of plastic. people will always drop their phones, always. I'd rather my phone look better whether it be plastic or not for years to come rather than scratches or dents or any other type of lasting defect that comes with the properties of metals.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
We are definitely talking in circles around each other. I am not suggesting for a moment that plastic is not a valid and viable material for phones.
Nor am I saying that metal is better; just pointing out at that the perception (right or wrong) of the Samsung products is that they are cheaply built.
For example, Cnet's review of the S4:
They gave it a high rating, called it the "Do everything Phone" (even rated higher that the HTC One
The good: The Samsung Galaxy S4 has Android 4.2.2, a fantastic camera, a powerful quad-core processor, and software solutions for just about every scenario -- including working as a TV/DVR remote. It's also comfortable in hand and has NFC, a user-replaceable battery, and a microSD storage slot.

The bad: Its screen is dimmer than competitors', its plastic design gives it a cheaper look than its rivals, and we found the Galaxy S4's power button turned on at undesirable times. Not all camera modes work as promised, and a long list of software features can quickly overwhelm and confuse.

So again my point is that many feel that Samsungs phones are cheaply built....whether they are or not has nothing to do with the buying publics perceptions.

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm getting frustrated with my HTC DNA cuz of the multiple simcard errors. I love the display and beats audio but it really sucks that I can't get data connection. Sometimes I get it but no internet. Right now, I'm getting a 3rd sim card. I wish Verizon would just trade me a new phone, maybe a s4. I saw in the AT&T store that the s4 is compact and has a really nicer & sharper display than s3. I don't care about the plastic since I would put a case on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance