Drop test?

skycross

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The first day I got my original X2 it fell from my lap onto concrete and it nicked the side. It didn't shatter the glass but the new device had this huge imperfection for life. I was livid but at the same time I new it was my fault for not having a case. The day I got my DNA i didn't leave the store until I had it in a OEM case. Looking at the verizon case I saw several areas where the glass edge was not protected so I immediately started researching cases and ordered a Sideo (which I love) so the phone would have a chance of surviving the fall. I still worry about the phone because its not housed in a otterbox or another seriously rugged case but I cant stand how big those make the device so I got insurance and will be extra careful.

Do I have any expectation that this phone could survive any type of fall? No. Its common sense. If that was my concern I would not have purchased a DNA. I think it is not unreasonable for a manufacture to expect the consumer to make an educated decision about the device they purchase. I don't need a rating to know how fragile a device would be. I do expect the device to be mostly bug free and expect the device to survive normal ware and tear. Dropping the device is an accident which is simply not normal usage. To expect the manufacture to support that type of normal use I expect the phone to look like it has a otterbox built into the housing.

My fiance pre-ordered the S4 and we will have the case here next week in anticipation for its arrival. Sorry.. but this IMO is common sense. If these types of ratings increase the price of the device at all I think it is a waste of money. Consumers learn these lessons the hard way but I have yet to buy a cellphone where the salesperson hasn't expressed the importance of getting a case to protect the investment. Not what the OP wants to hear but its your fault that screen got shattered.. not HTC's.

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry.. but this IMO is common sense. If these types of ratings increase the price of the device at all I think it is a waste of money. Consumers learn these lessons the hard way but I have yet to buy a cellphone where the salesperson hasn't expressed the importance of getting a case to protect the investment. Not what the OP wants to hear but its your fault that screen got shattered.. not HTC's.

I'm sorry, but IMO, I think that people should read the entire thread before posting a reply. I certainly expected my phone to break when I dropped it and I never complained that it was HTC's fault or that they should be responcible. I KNOW IT IS MY FAULT!

I really don't know why it is so hard for people to read what a conversation is about then post an intelligent comment that is on point. I honestly don't have a problem with opposing views, I welcome them. I do have a problem with: " Not what the OP wants to hear but its your fault that screen got shattered.. not HTC's. " when I've already posted: " I never claimed that HTC made a bad phone or that I want them or Verizon to replace my DNA. Its my fault period."

If there is a moderator reading this post, I am not trying to offend anyone by using all caps, bold, and underline, I just don't know what else to do to get users to read what is posted.

skycross

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but IMO, I think that people should read the entire thread before posting a reply. I certainly expected my phone to break when I dropped it and I never complained that it was HTC's fault or that they should be responcible. I KNOW IT IS MY FAULT!

I really don't know why it is so hard for people to read what a conversation is about then post an intelligent comment that is on point. I honestly don't have a problem with opposing views, I welcome them. I do have a problem with: " Not what the OP wants to hear but its your fault that screen got shattered.. not HTC's. " when I've already posted: " I never claimed that HTC made a bad phone or that I want them or Verizon to replace my DNA. Its my fault period."

If there is a moderator reading this post, I am not trying to offend anyone by using all caps, bold, and underline, I just don't know what else to do to get users to read what is posted.

I did read your entire post and the entire thread. I thought I addressed your question with my opinion. I will try again with less verbiage. I, as a consumer of top of the line electronics, do not feel that manufacturers should try to sacrifice sleek eye popping designs so that phones can handle short falls. I don't like the idea of phones costing more so they can have "drop ratings". I want the freedom to choose the case I like for protection. I understand that some manufacturers do sell products that are designed to handle falls. I purchase protection plans in case I break my DNA tomorrow. Am I missing something else?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The only phone I ever broke was my Storm 2. I dropped it and, while turning to look for it, stepped on it. I am pretty sure the screen was OK until that point :) But yeah, people want big screens. But not big phones. So that means eliminating bezels and bezels keep impacts away from the glass. I've dropped Blackberrys numerous times with no problems beyond buggering the corners of the phone.

You have to make the tradeoff somewhere, and in this case the tradeoff was in resistance to damage. Exposed glass is gonna break if you hit it right. And glass is more and more exposed. The phones are prettier, but they aren't as robust as they used to be. People pay for them anyway, so that just proves the demons and uruk-hais in marketing are right.

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I did read your entire post and the entire thread. I thought I addressed your question with my opinion. I will try again with less verbiage. I, as a consumer of top of the line electronics, do not feel that manufacturers should try to sacrifice sleek eye popping designs so that phones can handle short falls. I don't like the idea of phones costing more so they can have "drop ratings". I want the freedom to choose the case I like for protection. I understand that some manufacturers do sell products that are designed to handle falls. I purchase protection plans in case I break my DNA tomorrow. Am I missing something else?

Thank you for the constructive point. I can certainly see the argument of having the freedom to be able to choose your own protection. That is a very good point as it relates to total life of phone cost. HTC could probably make a better screen and charge more, but keeping cost down for users is a more important focus. I have insurance on my phone but at this point I would rather deal with a shattered screen (its still usable) than pay-up the $99 deductible. I'll eventually do it, but I'm not in any hurry to burn the money....

My counter point (opinion) would be as a whole, if these manufacturers worked to make strong and sleeks phones, the end user would be better off in the long run. Prices may jump initially, but they would drive down like any other new feature....

skycross

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the constructive point. I can certainly see the argument of having the freedom to be able to choose your own protection. That is a very good point as it relates to total life of phone cost. HTC could probably make a better screen and charge more, but keeping cost down for users is a more important focus. I have insurance on my phone but at this point I would rather deal with a shattered screen (its still usable) than pay-up the $99 deductible. I'll eventually do it, but I'm not in any hurry to burn the money....

My counter point (opinion) would be as a whole, if these manufacturers worked to make strong and sleeks phones, the end user would be better off in the long run. Prices may jump initially, but they would drive down like any other new feature....

Agreed and soon we will be there. Might be version 6 of gorilla glass or something new but I believe it is our near-ish future. I give you props for dealing with the broken glass. It drove me nuts to see that ding on my X2.. the cracks in the glass must be very disappointing. You have stronger control than me. ;)

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

The bolded part was kinda what I was trying to drive at last time I replied. You said it the way I was thinking. The competition would eventually bring the prices back into their normal range.

skycross

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

An interesting article that discusses Sapphire Glass used on high end watches. They stated that there are 2 phones that use that now but that each are >$2k.

Challenge to Gorilla Glass