Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Re: Drop test?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdyount View Post
    Thank you for the constructive point. I can certainly see the argument of having the freedom to be able to choose your own protection. That is a very good point as it relates to total life of phone cost. HTC could probably make a better screen and charge more, but keeping cost down for users is a more important focus. I have insurance on my phone but at this point I would rather deal with a shattered screen (its still usable) than pay-up the $99 deductible. I'll eventually do it, but I'm not in any hurry to burn the money....

My counter point (opinion) would be as a whole, if these manufacturers worked to make strong and sleeks phones, the end user would be better off in the long run. Prices may jump initially, but they would drive down like any other new feature....
    Agreed and soon we will be there. Might be version 6 of gorilla glass or something new but I believe it is our near-ish future. I give you props for dealing with the broken glass. It drove me nuts to see that ding on my X2.. the cracks in the glass must be very disappointing. You have stronger control than me.
    Feeling sorry for all those ipad/iphone users out there.

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

Thank you for the constructive point. I can certainly see the argument of having the freedom to be able to choose your own protection. That is a very good point as it relates to total life of phone cost. HTC could probably make a better screen and charge more, but keeping cost down for users is a more important focus. I have insurance on my phone but at this point I would rather deal with a shattered screen (its still usable) than pay-up the $99 deductible. I'll eventually do it, but I'm not in any hurry to burn the money....

My counter point (opinion) would be as a whole, if these manufacturers worked to make strong and sleeks phones, the end user would be better off in the long run. Prices may jump initially, but they would drive down like any other new feature....
    The bolded part was kinda what I was trying to drive at last time I replied. You said it the way I was thinking. The competition would eventually bring the prices back into their normal range.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

An interesting article that discusses Sapphire Glass used on high end watches. They stated that there are 2 phones that use that now but that each are >$2k.

Challenge to Gorilla Glass
    Feeling sorry for all those ipad/iphone users out there.

Quote Originally Posted by skycross View Post
    An interesting article that discusses Sapphire Glass used on high end watches. They stated that there are 2 phones that use that now but that each are >$2k.

Challenge to Gorilla Glass
    Sapphire is great. I have it on several watches and none of them ever scratched. One did shatter though, so it's not a cure-all. It's hard, but brittle. And it's bloody expensive.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Sometimes it just lands in exactly the right way to put pressure on all the right places on the screen to break it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12