HOW many DNA owners would take hTc up on letting them revert to vanilla android by way of hTc?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not me...I actually like Sense 4+ and this baby is powerful enough, and Sense is now light enough, that performance is completely unaffected by the skin in my opinion. I'm hoping we get 5...bring it on!

Posted via Android Central App

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I could go either way with it. Vanilla Android is just fine too. If we got more frequent updates then I'd say we bag Sense.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Would stay with Sense for sure. I have vanilla on my nexus 7, while nice, I still prefer sense to all other styles of android.

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I would stick with sense, this phone is not designed for stock android and I like sense

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm number 2.

I don't dislike sense, but I prefer the notification shade and settings of AOSP.

I could get over not having the HTC camera, but I would hope that bluetooth would be good. On my Nexus, bluetooth was hit or miss.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a tough time deciding on this one. I really like some aspects of sense 4+, but I also really like some of the aspects of vanilla android at this point. My girlfriend is using my old Gnex so i get to see all the cool new features that she gets but I don't.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Nope, give me sense 5. Nao.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
When you get Sense 5.1 and Android 4.2.2 this summer will that change whether you want Stock 4.2.2?

I think that "when" should be "if". Not my first HTC phone. I've learned not to expect an update at all, and if it does come, expect a previously working-fine phone feature to be broken. Sounds like cyniscm, but is actually firsthand experience.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the only thing I prefer with Vanilla is the notification pull downs and the ability to adjust stuff from the pull down on one side of the screen.

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just installed a Sense 5 rom ported from the One and it is much better than I expected. I really don't have an answer, I would like to play with Vanilla on the DNA before I said yes.

I welcome HTC offering it to us though. Options are always nice to have..

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks did I miss something? Did HTC offer a version of the DNA without sense?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just get nova launcher

Sent from my DROID DNA

While Nova or Apex will provide a stock launcher experience, it does not provide a stock experience. No lock screen widgets, no quick settings, no photosphere, and probably something else im forgetting.

While there are solutions for these, they are often buggy and come with compromises that are less than ideal. If HTC releasing the HTC One Google Experience allows ROM Devs to improve the experience I'm all for it.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I would absolutely dump Sense 4+ for vanilla android.

Sense 4 is extremely slow and it drives me nuts because I have to work very quickly in my profession. The SMS application has to be one of the slowest apps on the phone. I hate having to wait for names to materialize in place of phone numbers every time I open the SMS app. The native calendar widget had to be dumped because it is slow to update and lagged. I had to replace it with the Google stock calendar widget to get smooth, quick performance with the app.

The pull-down menu is also too bare bones in Sense 4+.

Vanilla android is a heck of a lot faster and receiving all of Google's new features when they are released is a huge bonus.

I played with Sense 5 on a colleagues' HTC One and I was impressed at how much faster it is. HTC stripped out a lot of the "fluffy" things that make Sense 4+ so insanely slow. I would not mind trying Sense 5, but if vanilla android were an option, that is exactly what I would opt for.

Before anyone flames me on this, there is nothing wrong with my HTC phone. This is my second DNA, both of which were brand new when I got them. I dropped my first one and destroyed it. Best Buy provided me with a brand new one, not a refurbished model. Both of my DNA's act exactly the same, so I know the slow performance is Sense 4+. However, I am 99% certain what I consider slow or sluggish is not the same as what many of you consider slow, so please understand this is my personal opinion based on my needs in my profession.

This is my long winded way of explaining why I think a vanilla android option would be nice to have. Especially since HTC left an nearly vanilla android version on the HTC First after you disabled that facebook stuff. I know it can be done and I would love for HTC to provide the option. There is nothing wrong with having options.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc