Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By osubeavs728
  • 1 Post By Jennifer Stough
  • 1 Post By stkorn97
  • 1 Post By fierro951
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HOW many DNA owners would take hTc up on letting them revert to vanilla android by way of hTc?

Just count yourself like this....

I'm number 1.

Default Re: HOW many DNA owners would take hTc up on letting them revert to vanilla android by way of hTc?

Not me...I actually like Sense 4+ and this baby is powerful enough, and Sense is now light enough, that performance is completely unaffected by the skin in my opinion. I'm hoping we get 5...bring it on!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: HOW many DNA owners would take hTc up on letting them revert to vanilla android by way of hTc?

I could go either way with it. Vanilla Android is just fine too. If we got more frequent updates then I'd say we bag Sense.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

Would stay with Sense for sure. I have vanilla on my nexus 7, while nice, I still prefer sense to all other styles of android.

I would stick with sense, this phone is not designed for stock android and I like sense

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I guess I'm number 2.

I don't dislike sense, but I prefer the notification shade and settings of AOSP.

I could get over not having the HTC camera, but I would hope that bluetooth would be good. On my Nexus, bluetooth was hit or miss.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have a tough time deciding on this one. I really like some aspects of sense 4+, but I also really like some of the aspects of vanilla android at this point. My girlfriend is using my old Gnex so i get to see all the cool new features that she gets but I don't.
    Thanked by 2:
    hannsoft likes this.

ROM
    CM10.2

I'm number three lol

CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)

Global Posts
    5,733 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

When you get Sense 5.1 and Android 4.2.2 this summer will that change whether you want Stock 4.2.2?

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Nope, give me sense 5. Nao.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    Darth Spock likes this.

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    When you get Sense 5.1 and Android 4.2.2 this summer will that change whether you want Stock 4.2.2?
    I don't know. I'd have to have sense five first.

CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I think that "when" should be "if". Not my first HTC phone. I've learned not to expect an update at all, and if it does come, expect a previously working-fine phone feature to be broken. Sounds like cyniscm, but is actually firsthand experience.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, the only thing I prefer with Vanilla is the notification pull downs and the ability to adjust stuff from the pull down on one side of the screen.
    fierro951 likes this.

I just installed a Sense 5 rom ported from the One and it is much better than I expected. I really don't have an answer, I would like to play with Vanilla on the DNA before I said yes.

I welcome HTC offering it to us though. Options are always nice to have..

AZDROIDX likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post
    Would stay with Sense for sure. I have vanilla on my nexus 7, while nice, I still prefer sense to all other styles of android.
    This.

Hey folks did I miss something? Did HTC offer a version of the DNA without sense?

Just get nova launcher

Sent from my DROID DNA

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by tvue83 View Post
    Just get nova launcher

Sent from my DROID DNA
    While Nova or Apex will provide a stock launcher experience, it does not provide a stock experience. No lock screen widgets, no quick settings, no photosphere, and probably something else im forgetting.

While there are solutions for these, they are often buggy and come with compromises that are less than ideal. If HTC releasing the HTC One Google Experience allows ROM Devs to improve the experience I'm all for it.

Steve

Thanked by:
    tvue83 
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Hey folks did I miss something? Did HTC offer a version of the DNA without sense?

No, this is a hypothetical.."if they did..would you take them up on it".

Sent from my Droid DNA

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

I would absolutely dump Sense 4+ for vanilla android.

Sense 4 is extremely slow and it drives me nuts because I have to work very quickly in my profession. The SMS application has to be one of the slowest apps on the phone. I hate having to wait for names to materialize in place of phone numbers every time I open the SMS app. The native calendar widget had to be dumped because it is slow to update and lagged. I had to replace it with the Google stock calendar widget to get smooth, quick performance with the app.

The pull-down menu is also too bare bones in Sense 4+.

Vanilla android is a heck of a lot faster and receiving all of Google's new features when they are released is a huge bonus.

I played with Sense 5 on a colleagues' HTC One and I was impressed at how much faster it is. HTC stripped out a lot of the "fluffy" things that make Sense 4+ so insanely slow. I would not mind trying Sense 5, but if vanilla android were an option, that is exactly what I would opt for.

Before anyone flames me on this, there is nothing wrong with my HTC phone. This is my second DNA, both of which were brand new when I got them. I dropped my first one and destroyed it. Best Buy provided me with a brand new one, not a refurbished model. Both of my DNA's act exactly the same, so I know the slow performance is Sense 4+. However, I am 99% certain what I consider slow or sluggish is not the same as what many of you consider slow, so please understand this is my personal opinion based on my needs in my profession.

This is my long winded way of explaining why I think a vanilla android option would be nice to have. Especially since HTC left an nearly vanilla android version on the HTC First after you disabled that facebook stuff. I know it can be done and I would love for HTC to provide the option. There is nothing wrong with having options.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Agree 100%. I love HTC and sense, but the SMS app is way too slow, especially when I need to fire off a text really quickly. And I love the notifications bar on my nexus 7 so much more. I can't wait until sense 5, where more of these stock android changes are implemented, especially the quick toggles in the notifications bar.

Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Amen.

Sent from my Droid DNA

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    Agree 100%. I love HTC and sense, but the SMS app is way too slow, especially when I need to fire off a text really quickly. And I love the notifications bar on my nexus 7 so much more. I can't wait until sense 5, where more of these stock android changes are implemented, especially the quick toggles in the notifications bar.

I guess I haven't noticed the slowness of the messaging app, but I don't rely on it for much. Is the problem with the app or the service? Do Handcent or GoSMS hehe the same problem?

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespinct View Post
    I guess I haven't noticed the slowness of the messaging app, but I don't rely on it for much. Is the problem with the app or the service? Do Handcent or GoSMS hehe the same problem?

The problem is with the application, not with the service. There have been quite a few threads on this issue and there is a general consensus that this is a prevalent problem.

I am reluctant to use any other non-native SMS applications after a number of sites, including CNET, noted that a fair number of them are a form of malware that log your text input. I really don't trust too many apps unless they are created by well-known developers.

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    The problem is with the application, not with the service. There have been quite a few threads on this issue and there is a general consensus that this is a prevalent problem.

I am reluctant to use any other non-native SMS applications after a number of sites, including CNET, noted that a fair number of them are a form of malware that log your text input. I really don't trust too many apps unless they are created by well-known developers.
    Using Handcent or GoSMS will be fine, both are from known developers and used by 99% of android users it seems. I personally have used handcent since I first got my OG Incredible. I did try out GoSMS last night, but didnt like that i couldnt change a few things to colors I preferred so I went back to Handcent.