Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel.Lynch
  • 1 Post By Daniel.Lynch
  • 1 Post By SouthernDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Hey guys! I'm looking into buying a Head Unit for my car and I was wondering if anybody had any past experiences they could share or recommendations for me. The reason why I posted here is because I'm looking for something thats going to sync up with my phone well. Not necessarily for playing music, but definitely calls and texting. I want to be able to make and receive phone calls, and receive and send text messages using only my voice! I'm probably going to go Double DIN for this unit. Thanks guys!
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
    1dtb likes this.
  2. #2  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    Hey guys! I'm looking into buying a Head Unit for my car and I was wondering if anybody had any past experiences they could share or recommendations for me. The reason why I posted here is because I'm looking for something thats going to sync up with my phone well. Not necessarily for playing music, but definitely calls and texting. I want to be able to make and receive phone calls, and receive and send text messages using only my voice! I'm probably going to go Double DIN for this unit. Thanks guys!
    I'm looking for one as well. I almost got a Pioneer the other day, but found out that it's only compatible with the iPhone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    I'm looking for one as well. I almost got a Pioneer the other day, but found out that it's only compatible with the iPhone.
    Yikes. That's one of the reasons I posted here. Mainly to get a What-not-to-do for this stuff. Learn from other peoples mistakes so that I don't have to make them myself
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    I got a Kenwood that works real well I use svoice to make calls and text with my voice

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by prophelic View Post
    I got a Kenwood that works real well I use svoice to make calls and text with my voice

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Awesome! Which Kenwood was it?
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    If you go to crutchfield.com they have a filter that shows what head units have android control. As far as brands go, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine are all reputable and I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them. You just have to decide how much money you want to spend!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Thanks! I figured as long as it was name brand and not overly cheap it would be decent. Thanks!

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Just because it says "android compatible" does not mean it will work with any Android phone!! Some of the "android compatible" had units are only compatible with older versions of Android. There are very few out there that are jelly bean compatible. I bought a Kenwood Unit that was "android compatible" but doesn't work with my dna (USB cord at least) . Something blue tooth compatible is your best bet (blue tooth is now tooth after all for the most part) , but it you want to connect the USB I would suggest going to best buy or car toys or whatever equivalent your state my have, and try them out first hand.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Just because it says "android compatible" does not mean it will work with any Android phone!! Some of the "android compatible" had units are only compatible with older versions of Android. There are very few out there that are jelly bean compatible. I bought a Kenwood Unit that was "android compatible" but doesn't work with my dna (USB cord at least) . Something blue tooth compatible is your best bet (blue tooth is now tooth after all for the most part) , but it you want to connect the USB I would suggest going to best buy or car toys or whatever equivalent your state my have, and try them out first hand.

    Best Buy and Fry's? You mean "Price Matching Showrooms?"
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
    akira751 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    Best Buy and Fry's? You mean "Price Matching Showrooms?"
    Haha exactly. That way you know your phone is going to work and you're getting the best deal!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Daniel.Lynch's Avatar

    Posts
    463 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.2

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Awesome. I'll probably head over to fry's to get one. They price match so its all good.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

    CM7 OG Droid

    Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
  12. #12  
    SouthernDroid's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper DNA

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    Awesome. I'll probably head over to fry's to get one. They price match so its all good.
    If you get one, and it works please let me know. I am looking to upgrade my factory installed system in my car.
    Daniel.Lynch likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    I am in the same boat, looking for something that will work well with my phone (Gnex). Speaking of crutchfield, I noticed in the filter options "through app" and "through usb" for android control. Does anyone know what exactly that means or which is better/preferred?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Hi Guys and Gals, I just got a Pioneer AppRadio 3 head unit, and it work GREAT. I contacted Pioneer about the app and they said if it works with the APP 2 radio it will work with their new unit as I have a HTC DNA. It worked great on both Bluetooth and on the cord, every once in a while it will slow my DNA down. The apps work good and it mirrors my phone also, but you use the phone as the keyboard if you are using the mirror of your phone not the touch screen of the radio. I listen to my Amazon mp3 account through the Bluetooth streaming and it works great. I got the unit at BestBuy and it will do both Apple and Android with the purchase of the correct cables, that was the only down fall. All works great but have not tried any texting apps yet, not sure which one to try.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    "If you go to crutchfield.com they have a filter that shows what head units have android control. As far as brands go, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine are all reputable and I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them. You just have to decide how much money you want to spend!"

    I don't know what you're talking about. I can't find an "android" filter anywhere. "Bluetooth" and few "Ipod" filters, but nowhere is there an option help find a head unit that is friendly with Android. I would be pretty cool if they could do a "Chromecast" - like application for a head unit.

    UPDATE: I found the filters eventually. there are 4 options: App, Bluetooth, Mirrorlink, and USB
    Last edited by Kurtis Saiyo; 08-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    I just had a Kenwood Excelon series radio installed (my model # ends with 897 which offers bluetooth and a multi-line display.)

    For Android with my Moto X, bluetooth connection, reconnecting and streaming work great. Unfortunately, it does not display tag info on the head unit but does allow forward and back button controls on the head unit.

    Pandora works great over bluetooth and the head unit does take over control and displays song info. You can browse your stations and like songs right on the Kenwood.

    If your Android connects as a Mass Storage Device on your computer, then the Kenwood can control your music via USB connection if you download a Kenwood app to your phone. The Moto X only supports MTP, so I haven't tried that.

    Sent from my Moto X
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Best Aftermarket Car Stereo Head Unit For Phone Usage?

    Anyone tried the LG G2? It has android 4.2.2. The S4 is compatible, with the same software version. ???? I'm about to make a big mistake!
    Last edited by Regular0ldguy; 02-11-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
  3. HTC Incredible AS car stereo head unit
    By stoney98 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 04:09 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
  5. Best fav people widget for phoning?
    By pcguys in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

B