That's what get for going commando!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess it was bound to happen. I have dropped my phone a number of times without anything too horrible. That came "crashing to a halt" today. I am now a proud owner of a Droid DNA with a spider cracked screen. Kinda sucks as I just cancelled my extra line with the open upgrade available. Figured I didn't need to spend the extra $30 a month.

Now I have to decide whether to pick something up from Swappa or replace the screen myself. The screens run about $150, and although confident that I would be successful, if I wasn't it would be cheaper in the long run to get something off of Swappa.

Steve

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess it was bound to happen. I have dropped my phone a number of times without anything too horrible. That came "crashing to a halt" today. I am now a proud owner of a Droid DNA with a spider cracked screen. Kinda sucks as I just cancelled my extra line with the open upgrade available. Figured I didn't need to spend the extra $30 a month.

Now I have to decide whether to pick something up from Swappa or replace the screen myself. The screens run about $150, and although confident that I would be successful, if I wasn't it would be cheaper in the long run to get something off of Swappa.

Steve

Roger that, putting my case back on.

<3 My condolences comrade.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that Steve. I'm using my phone without a case right now, and everytime I drop it my heart stops. The other day I had it laying face first on the bar and it vibrated, slid off the bar, hit the counter, and then landed face first in the tile floor. Luckily the screen didn't shatter and there's no gouges in the screen, but I have spider web like scratches when the screen is off and you shimmy it in the light. Buying a seidio ASAP. Do you not have insurance? I'm sure the repair wouldnt be too hard if you have the proper equipment.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Nah, no insurance. The open line on the account had been the insurance. I could also go ahead and get a new phone and have Verizon spread the bill over the next 12 months. I don't know whether they offer that on all devices, or just the latest release. If just the latest release, I'm not sure I want the S4 or how long until the One is actually released.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Nah, no insurance. The open line on the account had been the insurance. I could also go ahead and get a new phone and have Verizon spread the bill over the next 12 months. I don't know whether they offer that on all devices, or just the latest release. If just the latest release, I'm not sure I want the S4 or how long until the One is actually released.

Samsung?! This one has gone to the Dark side.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Nah, I'm like Samuel L Jackson... I can skirt the line! I definitely prefer the screen tech in HTC phones.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Steve

That sucks. I hate to hear these stories, but hopefully you can swap the screen yourself. If not, hopefully the One comes out on Big Red soon and you can pick up a used DNA for cheap if you decide to get another one. Sorry again.

I'm not taking a shot at you, I'm just curious, but will you use a case in the future?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Probably not. As the bevels become smaller, the less I want to shrink them by adding a case. The beveled edge on the DNA is especially attractive to me.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Probably not. As the bevels become smaller, the less I want to shrink them by adding a case. The beveled edge on the DNA is especially attractive to me.

Cool. I also love the beveled edge, but I know that if I forego a case, I will break it. Good luck with the screen replacement!

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that Steve. I'm using my phone without a case right now, and everytime I drop it my heart stops. The other day I had it laying face first on the bar and it vibrated, slid off the bar, hit the counter, and then landed face first in the tile floor. Luckily the screen didn't shatter and there's no gouges in the screen, but I have spider web like scratches when the screen is off and you shimmy it in the light. Buying a seidio ASAP. Do you not have insurance? I'm sure the repair wouldnt be too hard if you have the proper equipment.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Yeah I almost had a heart attack when I dropped my phone last. I'm waiting on my Seidio to come in. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
New plan. Find a Delorian with a flux capacitor and go back to just before it happened!

Watched the video to take it apart, I am certain that I could replace the screen. But I am more certain that I would get frustrated putting it back together. The tolerances are just too tight for me to be certain that I'd get it back together perfectly.

In the near term, I have a screen protector, I mean finger protector on it. I'll keep an eye out on used prices and see what new comes up this summer. Maybe Motorola will wow us or I will be a proud owner of the HTC One.

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance