Moonshine now... What rom is the best to try

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You can't do that! Leaving us hanging. Where did you find the Carbon ROM from and what kernel did you flash? I've been searching for a great ROM for my phone and I haven't decided on one that I like. Right now I'm trying PACman. I might ultimately end up using the Viper one, but I'm holding off since I don't want to settle considering there might be something awesome.

Thanks bud.

Btw...whatcha digest?

Haha! Sorry for lateness, but I see someone has pointed you to Carbon already. I use crpalmer's kernel. For a couple days I went back to newts NOS, but had terrible issues with Facebook restarting itself whenever I tried to search. It was weird enough for me to switch back to aosp and carbon. Anyone else noticed that? I did solve my group messages issue on NOS by downloading Verizon's messaging app however.

What did I digest? Lunch. :). But I digress.... ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what sweep to wake is? Lol

Sweep to wake (as I understood it) is a way to unlock by swiping across the hardware keys. It did not work for me when I tried it.

Also, DanielLynch, I've had no bugs or issues crop up except one; yesterday my screen kept flickering blueish (I'm color blind so don't hold me to the color) like the dev setting to flash whenever there is a change. I rebooted the phone and it went away. No idea what caused it, hasn't done it since. Also using the new 4.3 camera, no problems there.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Sweep to wake (as I understood it) is a way to unlock by swiping across the hardware keys. It did not work for me when I tried it.

Also, DanielLynch, I've had no bugs or issues crop up except one; yesterday my screen kept flickering blueish (I'm color blind so don't hold me to the color) like the dev setting to flash whenever there is a change. I rebooted the phone and it went away. No idea what caused it, hasn't done it since. Also using the new 4.3 camera, no problems there.

Ah, I see. Nah, that doesn't work for me.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Interesting! Maybe ill check it out!

Sent from my CM7 OG Droid using Tapatalk

jgraves12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If you want sweep to wake, you'll have to run a kernel that supports it. The only one I think we have is beastmode. You'll have to flash it and then enable it in an app like trickster or system tuner.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If you want sweep to wake, you'll have to run a kernel that supports it. The only one I think we have is beastmode. You'll have to flash it and then enable it in an app like trickster or system tuner.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for that information! Sweep to wake isn't needed for me and I'm enjoying cpalmers sense kernel, but I'm sure that will be helpful to everyone else who was trying to figure out how to get it to work.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been on newts nos 7 for a while now, and I have been really happy. Just a few things that have hiccups, but it's been my daily driver.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

antone31

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Im liking the illusion rom so far... I'm not a fan of the Halo since its buggy. Anyone have any "lag free" roms they like?

If u want lag free I suggest u use super stock rom..I havent even.changes my rom yet I get over 5+ hours of on screen time and its smooth as better with nova and its debloated with volume wake. .

sway03

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I had to get rid of the illusion rom, Web browsing was a headache. Everything was so laggy, but man was the key lime pie pretty. I went all the way back to Viper to take out the lag, I'll check out the super stock rom. It looks really good. Anything that you found not working?

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I had to get rid of the illusion rom, Web browsing was a headache. Everything was so laggy, but man was the key lime pie pretty. I went all the way back to Viper to take out the lag, I'll check out the super stock rom. It looks really good. Anything that you found not working?

I had problems with random restarts on Viper :(

antone31

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Not one damn thing wrong with it...everything works perfectly...I hate lag more than anything especially with browsing...I havent used BT but I've used everything else...let me know if u need help

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify for me the procedure for flashing (for example) newt's NOS7 ROM for those that are Moonshine/S-OFF and twrp (though I can figure it out if you walk through cwm), including backup of stock?

One thing I'm not clear about is if we're S-OFF, do we need to go through any gyrations to install fastboot.img (or is it boot.img?) and stuff like that via adb? Or is it virtually as simple as downloading the ROM zip file to the phone and then telling twrp (or cwm) to install that ROM from the zip?

FWIW: I'm very interested as to whether people have tested Restore from these backups and whether it truly gets you back to the time you ran the backup -- like is the backup from that point (the recovery mgr or whatever we call that) a full backup with all system & downloaded apps and their settings/data?

Thanks for entertaining someone who's been messing with android for a long time, but has been just too cautious to take the plunge into a full-custom rom!

-AJ

Last edited:

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Or is it virtually as simple as downloading the ROM zip file to the phone and then telling twrp (or cwm) to install that ROM from the zip?

-AJ

Yes. It's that simple. You wanna do a full data and cache wipe, but yeah, it's pretty easy. Also, backups restore perfectly in my experience.

Spencer Rhodes

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll throw in my two cents about the DNA.

Moonshined it last week and put CM 10.1 unofficial nightly on it. Runs great. Smooth, with very few problems. There was a point where people I called couldn't hear me, but just rebooting the phone fixed it. Other than that the only other problems I've had have been with the accuracy of the GPS in Google Maps. Regardless, CM 10.1 for the DNA is a good rom, and I plan to continue using it through the end of this month; then I'll probably try something else to spice things up :p

EDIT: Currently using nova launcher with an icon pack and an MIUI theme, which yields some big eye candy on the DNA with its 1080p display. If anyone wants screens, let me know.

sway03

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I just tried the jelly bear one (the cm10 hybrid) it was alright.. It wasn't very smooth but I liked the floating windows. So far I think that the m7 or the viper(updated one) is the best compared to the roms. Other than that the super stock is supposed to be great.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I took the plunge and installed BadSeeds Customs "Tranquil ROM" (4.2). I like Sense 5, and the ROM has been stable thus far...but I'm still just getting it up and running, so that's really not saying much just yet. Will report back in a day or two with details.

Thanks for the help, all.
-AJ