Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
07-18-2013 05:47 PM
22 replies
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bespinct
  • 1 Post By bignaz
  • 1 Post By mamawM
  • 1 Post By justwar88
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Jelly Bean for now.

Default We're all Verizon here... how do you all feel about this Edge plan?

I love my gadgets, I'm in love with my DNA but am going to the HTC One once it comes around (come one already). But I am doing so because I have a third line that has an upgrade available.... what are your thoughts on this new Edge plan and do you think it will be worth it? Every six months sounds about right for me.....

Carrier
    CM10.2

Default Re: We're all Verizon here... how do you all feel about this Edge plan?

The price of the phone is spread out over the 24 month service plan. You can upgrade after 6 months, but only if 50% of the retail price of the phone has been paid, which would mean if you wish to upgrade after 6 months, you have to pay double your monthly payments on the phone each month. This is still a lot easier for most people than paying full price up front and waiting a year or two years. I think that no matter what its only good for us because it gives us more options. I won't be using it too much, I tend to stick with a phone for two or more years.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock!

I would probably take advantage of it to get a new phone yearly of there were device that I though worthy. It does bug me though that the cost of the service is the same whether getting a subsidized phone or not.

Posted via Android Central App
    bp3dots likes this.

I'm going to use it, just so I can get the most updated and fast phone. I plan on keeping my DNA as a backup.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Carrier

Yeah, the retail price thing bugs me. Especially if they expect you to be on contract (which I'm assuming). I love my DNA, btw.... but my co-worker is still sportin' the Galaxy Nexus and is drooling over it so I told him $200 bucks and it's his when I get my HTC One. Paying retail for a phone and no break (other than the fact they "loan" you the money for retail costs) doesn't feel like much of perk. $200 a month you'd think they'd at least let me continue to upgrade yearly......

From the articles I've read, you would be better off buying a phone from Best Buy. At least that way you don't get shafted as hard... haha

I'm on an unlimited plan, and it sounds like you have to be with the share everything plan in order to even use this? Personally, I don't need the cutting edge right away. I'd rather buy used, save a few dollars, and reap the experience of a community that has had time to really dig into the hardware.

Just Verizon trying to entice people to give up their unlimited data.
    I will never give up my unlimited data for 2 reasons:
    - I am a data hog.
    - It passes Verizon off and they twitch every time we go over 2GB without paying more.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

It's cool and I'm glad carriers are trying new things but Tmobile's everything seems more appealing to me. Hopefully they can get better coverage within a year or two because I'd definitely switch over.

Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Why can't the carriers just offer an earlier upgrade with a regular contract. They know OEMS release new flagships every year not two.

If its more money their after, they could just charge extra for it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just them giving the finger to anyone like me with unlimited data. On top of that there jacking the price of insurance up $2 a month.
    BBSeattle likes this.

Carrier
    xtrrom 4.6.5

i think it's a ripoff. the service plan pricing includes the cost of the subsidized phone, that won't change. now you can buy the phone at full retail, finance it for 2 years and pay that on top the cost of a subsidized phone. in effect paying twice for the phone. at&t is doing the same thing. what makes t-mobile different is that they took the subsidized price out of their plans, reducing plan pricing. so with them you truly are only paying for the phone once. if only t-mobile had better coverage.
    justwar88 likes this.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

I usually make it about 6 months with a phone before I am ready to swap.. Unfortunate for me but great for Verizon.. I have spent too much money on smartphones but man do I love them! lol... I definitely think I will take advantage of this.. Granted their is something better out by the time im tired of the DNA

Agreed; anyone that thinks Verizon is doing anything for "us" is living in a Pollyana world.

Quote Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
    Just them giving the finger to anyone like me with unlimited data. On top of that there jacking the price of insurance up $2 a month.

I went to check out the HTC One at an AT&T store and I don't think I can downgrade to that smaller screen at this point. Typing on it was difficult compared to my DNA, with SwiftKey on my phone though. What do you think about downgrading to a smaller screen from your DNA?

from my DNA

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pblakk View Post
    I went to check out the HTC One at an AT&T store and I don't think I can downgrade to that smaller screen at this point. Typing on it was difficult compared to my DNA, with SwiftKey on my phone though. What do you think about downgrading to a smaller screen from your DNA?

from my DNA
    You know I was going to wait for the One to get a new phone but now I have sense 5 running on the DNA and I would definitely not downgrade to the One for any reason. Bigger Screen and wireless charging are whats keeping me.
    AZDROIDX likes this.

I think it's always good to have more options; but personally, I'm not touching it. I'll be keeping my unlimited data that I've had since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by justwar88 View Post
    You know I was going to wait for the One to get a new phone but now I have sense 5 running on the DNA and I would definitely not downgrade to the One for any reason. Bigger Screen and wireless charging are whats keeping me.
    awesome. What ROM are you running with Sense 5? Do all of the features like native MMS and the native browser work?

from my DNA

I dont mind it honestly. Just an option in the end if i really wanted a new phone bad enough. Beyond that, I cant really complain about it.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by pblakk View Post

from my DNA
    I did the same thing... I went to a Cincinnati Bell and AT&T to check out the One and the screen is smaller. That is the ONLY thing I don't like about it. I do like how it fits in my hand and the feel of it is amazing. I'm going to end up throwing Nova on it and using Swype because I can't stand the Sense UI. I love the DNA but I've wanted the M7 since I seen it. I have someone that is buying my DNA but don't want to let it go. Can't use two phones though....

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Im running the nitrous rom.. It is the HTC One rom.. As far as I know the browser is stock.. MMS Works just fine for me.

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

A few things to be aware of with this new plan...

1. Yes, you can upgrade after only 6 months, but only if you've paid 50% of it off *AND* you have to trade in the current device when you buy the new one. That last part is important to anyone who's planning on re-selling their phone to off-set prices. I don't know if you're able to keep the device if you've paid if off in full (I'd hope so...but it is Verizon we're talking about), but if so a better plan for me would be to try to get the phone paid off after a year and upgrade then.

2. Verizon gets to double dip with these sort of plans because phone subsidies are already baked into their plan fees, regardless of whether you have a subsidized phone or now...so essentially if you go to the Edge plan, you're not only going to have an extra charge for paying off your cell phone, but you pay the same plan rates as someone on the standard "subsidized phone/upgrade every 2 years" scheme. Same thing goes for those who pay full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Why can't the carriers just offer an earlier upgrade with a regular contract. They know OEMS release new flagships every year not two.

If its more money their after, they could just charge extra for it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    In the past, they never would have been able to compete with the other national carriers, even if the numbers worked out in the customers' favor. Remember, a vast majority of those buying new phones want it cheap and don't seem to understand just how-dated a phone will be after 24 months.

With all of these new plans being introduced, it seems like the consumer market for smartphones is shifting towards those who want to upgrade sooner and are willing to spend a little extra to do so, so carriers will hopefully forced to be more competitive because of this.

Outside of double-dipping into the phone subsidizes fees (as I mention above), their new plans actually come close to what you're describing, since you have the ability to pay off the price of the phone on your schedule, and not one determined by your contract. (yes, I do realize it's not the exact same thing...just sayin').

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    Just Verizon trying to entice people to give up their unlimited data.
    I will never give up my unlimited data for 2 reasons:
    - I am a data hog.
    - It passes Verizon off and they twitch every time we go over 2GB without paying more.
    why should I want to **** Verizon off?
    If I had a problem with them I wouldn't be using their service.

Lighten up philly, just being funny......