Android 4.2

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What are some good android 4.2 ROMs that people are using. Using newts sense rom now based on sense 5 and 4.1.2 but looking to change.

Posted via Android Central App

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I did just so many to look at, didn't know what people have tried and liked. And was not buggy.

It is a shame the PACMAN Rom is so buggy for the DNA. It has to be one of the coolest ROMs around. I wish I had waited for the Galaxy S4 so i could get Cyanogenmod. It is my understanding that Cyanogenmod is only put out in an unofficial build for the DNA and it is pretty buggy.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is a shame the PACMAN Rom is so buggy for the DNA. It has to be one of the coolest ROMs around. I wish I had waited for the Galaxy S4 so i could get Cyanogenmod. It is my understanding that Cyanogenmod is only put out in an unofficial build for the DNA and it is pretty buggy.

I guess that is one of the problem with getting a carrier specific device.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
A LOT of them are "unofficial ports" of the existing ROMS. I don't think it matters per se, just an observation I noticed while perusing XDA. Yeah, PACman was cool, but had so many features (hybrid settings) that I couldn't care less about, so I went with Carbon. It works well, and I have had no issues with it. It is also slated to be 4.3 soon as well. Well, the Official one is, we shall see how long the ports take.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
A LOT of them are "unofficial ports" of the existing ROMS. I don't think it matters per se, just an observation I noticed while perusing XDA. Yeah, PACman was cool, but had so many features (hybrid settings) that I couldn't care less about, so I went with Carbon. It works well, and I have had no issues with it. It is also slated to be 4.3 soon as well. Well, the Official one is, we shall see how long the ports take.

I ran into a lot of crashes etc. with PACman. I had similar issues on Viper(but thats not 4.2). I'm running CM10.1 right now, and they're going to be moving to 4.3 soon (CM10.2). I like it so far!

jctennis

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Cm10.1 is just about perfect IMHO. A couple of things possibly don't work but I have yet to run into any of them in my use case. Ymmv

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Cm10.1 is just about perfect IMHO. A couple of things possibly don't work but I have yet to run into any of them in my use case. Ymmv

Ran into my first issue. On massive group texts, the AOSP messaging app force closes when I attempt to open them, but works fine on third party apps like textra. By massive I mean like 10 recipients total. I have a group text with 3 recipients that works perfectly. I haven't gotten around to looking for a solution yet.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ran into my first issue. On massive group texts, the AOSP messaging app force closes when I attempt to open them, but works fine on third party apps like textra. By massive I mean like 10 recipients total. I have a group text with 3 recipients that works perfectly. I haven't gotten around to looking for a solution yet.

I've heard Bluetooth audio don't work. Dont use it much but don't really want to loose it.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Do u have a link to the rom u are running.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
[ROM][GPL][UNOFFICIAL]CyanogenMod 10.1 JB | Droid DNA > XDA

I'm currently running the nightly build from 7/25. I love it. Waiting for help on my text messaging issue. Bluetooth audio supposedly doesn't work, but I don't have any bluetooth headsets or stereos (yet) so its not a problem for me, but definitely a deal breaker for many.

So i am fairly knew to flashing ROMs, do most people do a cash wipe and a factory reset when switching ROMs? Seems like a pain to set everything back up again, when doing a factory reset.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So i am fairly knew to flashing ROMs, do most people do a cash wipe and a factory reset when switching ROMs? Seems like a pain to set everything back up again, when doing a factory reset.

If you're rooted what you would want to do is first make a nandroid backup of your current install. This can be done through ROM manager, or through your own custom recovery.

Then, you perform a factory reset and a cache wipe, then proceed to install the new ROM. Unfortunately it is a pain to set everything back up. Check out the app called Helium (previously carbon) it saves your apps and all of the app data to your SDcard for easy reinstallation.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you're rooted what you would want to do is first make a nandroid backup of your current install. This can be done through ROM manager, or through your own custom recovery.

Then, you perform a factory reset and a cache wipe, then proceed to install the new ROM. Unfortunately it is a pain to set everything back up. Check out the app called Helium (previously carbon) it saves your apps and all of the app data to your SDcard for easy reinstallation.

Thanks i am rooted and have already created backup, been running newts for awhile now wanted to change. I will have to check out helium thanks again.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
so something went wrong in the install, I did a factory reset, wiped both caches. installed cm nightly 7-28 and what i thought was the appropriate zip. But it booted up just fine but was just a black screen and it just kept saying gapps failed, and setup wizard failed. I would hit okay and it would keep coming back eventually crashing. I got it to let me sign into google and that was about it. I just reinstalled my previous newts rom that i wish i would have created a backup of now. any ideas.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
so something went wrong in the install, I did a factory reset, wiped both caches. installed cm nightly 7-28 and what i thought was the appropriate zip. But it booted up just fine but was just a black screen and it just kept saying gapps failed, and setup wizard failed. I would hit okay and it would keep coming back eventually crashing. I got it to let me sign into google and that was about it. I just reinstalled my previous newts rom that i wish i would have created a backup of now. any ideas.

Woah, that's crazy. They just released another nightly. I would try that one. Give me a little I'm gonna make a backup and attempt to flash 07/28 and see what happens.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Woah, that's crazy. They just released another nightly. I would try that one. Give me a little I'm gonna make a backup and attempt to flash 07/28 and see what happens.

Does the gapps file change from 4.1 to 4.2?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc