Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Default Re: End of Sept and this Update is amazing...

The paid version of Battery Widget Reborn! also has good power toggles. I use them all the time. You just have to expand the notification.

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    If anyone wants a good app that puts power toggles in your notification menu, I use Notification Deluxe, and it works great.

Edit: Stkorn, I just saw that you posted that you also use an app. Great minds and all that!
    Thanked by:

If anyone wants a good app that puts power toggles in your notification menu, I use Notification Deluxe, and it works great.

Edit: Stkorn, I just saw that you posted that you also use an app. Great minds and all that!
    Thanks for bringing this app to my attention. I don't know how I ever lived without it. I could care less about 4.2.2 or 4.3 update now. Well...maybe a little less.

Mike

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by antilles76 View Post
    The paid version of Battery Widget Reborn! also has good power toggles. I use them all the time. You just have to expand the notification.
    I used to use them, but they were kind of unreliable, which is why I went to Notifications Deluxe. I'm guessing they've improved them? I'll give them another try. Thanks.

I used to use them, but they were kind of unreliable, which is why I went to Notifications Deluxe. I'm guessing they've improved them? I'll give them another try. Thanks.
    I've been using them for months and have not had a problem. They seem to update the app on a fairly regular basis. And I like how they are part of the notification. You can hide them by shrinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    Even then, I remember having the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and updates were hard to come by with that thing. It seems to me like the only phone on VZW capable of receiving timely updates is the iPhone. My ultimate dream is for Google to make a Nexus device that works across all carriers (VZW as well) with one device, rather than having to sell different versions of the same phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    They are moving towards that concept with the Moto X.
    Although some of the carrier versions (Verizon) still have too much bloatware, it's getting better.
    The X was the first Android device that I got from the carrier that had virtually no bloatware (1 AT&T app), basically ran stock android, and has several amazing and useful features.
    I am excited for what moto and Google bring in the future as their first device together is brilliant.

Sent from my White Moto X
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    masc69 likes this.

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Just an observation, but it seems like the most common feature that folks want from an update is the quick notifications that all the OEMs screw up anyways. Even the new Motorola DROIDs and Moto X don't keep it AOSP.

I won't argue that putting a ROM on a phone for updates is for everyone, but it does provide opportunity for user experiences you won't get from a carrier update.

Posted via Android Central App

I checked the Verizon site to see if the software upgrade was announced. Nothing yet. I am looking forward to trying out Sense 5. I did notice that the DNA is now back to $199 on the Verizon website with a 2 year contract. I am surprised. I thought it was $49 in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jsting76 View Post
    I checked the Verizon site to see if the software upgrade was announced. Nothing yet. I am looking forward to trying out Sense 5. I did notice that the DNA is now back to $199 on the Verizon website with a 2 year contract. I am surprised. I thought it was $49 in the past.
    Yeah it was but the htc one was just coming out and they put the dna and other htc products on sale.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeer View Post
    Can you show me where you were guaranteed updates to the phone?
    The President of HTC Global Sales, Jason Mackenzie, said the DNA would received Sense 5 and Android 4.3 by the end of September. To me, when a high ranking official at a company says something is going to happen with one of their products without any qualifications, I take that as a "guarantee". Now it is 4.2.2 and the end of year.

Don't get me wrong, the delay and 4.3 becoming 4.2.2 isn't a big deal. However, it was handled extremely poorly. Mackenzie called the change a "clarification". LOL? What was he clarifying exactly? He gave specific information, there was nothing to clarify. He was wrong plain and simple. He should have said that and apologized.

The bigger problem is that HTC simply doesn't have the resources to get these updates to the carriers in a timely fashion. However, they won't admit that because if they did, people would stop buying their products. Of course, that seems to be happening anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Thanked by:
    masc69 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kpluck View Post
    The President of HTC Global Sales, Jason Mackenzie, said the DNA would received Sense 5 and Android 4.3 by the end of September. To me, when a high ranking official at a company says something is going to happen with one of their products without any qualifications, I take that as a "guarantee". Now it is 4.2.2 and the end of year.

Don't get me wrong, the delay and 4.3 becoming 4.2.2 isn't a big deal. However, it was handled extremely poorly. Mackenzie called the change a "clarification". LOL? What was he clarifying exactly? He gave specific information, there was nothing to clarify. He was wrong plain and simple. He should have said that and apologized.

The bigger problem is that HTC simply doesn't have the resources to get these updates to the carriers in a timely fashion. However, they won't admit that because if they did, people would stop buying their products. Of course, that seems to be happening anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Finally, someone who knows what he is talking about. This is the only reason I am upset at HTC. They officially announced the update (I never asked for an update, but I was excited to hear about it) and then they went back on their word. I don't expect an update on an entry level phone, but a high end phone should get at least one update. That has been the general standard.

Thanked by:
    D_Norm_A likes this.

All,

Verizon has announced an update... and it's even less than 4.2.2 and sense 5... pathetic.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/c.../droid-dna.pdf

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/04...2-mega-update/
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

This update does nothing for me. Someone come find me when they release Android 9.8 snickerdoodle with lockscreen widgets, holographic projection, and beer tap.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Thanked by:
    metz65 

I don't even care anymore. I had interest when I first read Sense 5 reviews but I'm more interested in the Nexus 5 now. But the screen better be at least as good as the G2, which the rumours support.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I really think anyone who hasn't rooted their DNA at this point is really just delaying the inevitable. Yes, it's unfortunate that one might have to do it to get timely updates considering the carriers and manufacturer should continue supporting a device that's less than one year old; but if you're the type of person who buys a carrier branded non-nexus phone and expects nexus-like updates, rooting is mandatory. I've been running 4.2.2 on my DNA for months now with no issues, and I'm pretty certain it will soon be 4.3, before the other carrier ONEs get it, even. When the choice comes down to either purchase a new phone, which in a year could possibly be in the same predicament as your current (nexus non withstanding), or modding your current device to allow for timely updates, I would rather do the later. Certainly, since the DNA is such a beautiful piece of hardware that still runs spectacularly. Software not considered, it is in no way outdated, and the software can be easily changed. This is of course, personal opinion.

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't give a squat about how many more updates my DNA gets. I have a phone that works a phone that still does all the things I bought it for to begin with and I like it. Update don't update it's something I just don't waste my time fretting over.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    mightyfacundo and ffejjj like this.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I really think anyone who hasn't rooted their DNA at this point is really just delaying the inevitable. Yes, it's unfortunate that one might have to do it to get timely updates considering the carriers and manufacturer should continue supporting a device that's less than one year old; but if you're the type of person who buys a carrier branded non-nexus phone and expects nexus-like updates, rooting is mandatory. I've been running 4.2.2 on my DNA for months now with no issues, and I'm pretty certain it will soon be 4.3, before the other carrier ONEs get it, even. When the choice comes down to either purchase a new phone, which in a year could possibly be in the same predicament as your current (nexus non withstanding), or modding your current device to allow for timely updates, I would rather do the later. Certainly, since the DNA is such a beautiful piece of hardware that still runs spectacularly. Software not considered, it is in no way outdated, and the software can be easily changed. This is of course, personal opinion.

Jennifer,

Slightly OT, but if you root can you use Google wallet for P.O.S purchases? Or is it still locked up?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

I just checked for Updates. There is a 15.5 MB update that I am currently downloading...

Quote Originally Posted by bigberries View Post
    I just checked for Updates. There is a 15.5 MB update that I am currently downloading...
    Nevermind. I see now this is that pre-update update

Did the current update. A few apps like Phase10 and ispades run much better. I used to have a lot of FC issues with Phase10 and general choppiness with ispades. Both run much more smoothly now with no FC from Phase10. On the down side My Olive Tree app still runs very slow.
    I did have one random reboot a few hours after the update, but that's been it as far as possible problems.
    I'm not noticing anything else. My phone has always been snappy.
    BTW I'm running stock, not rooted yet.

To me it's just a matter of being able to make an informed choice. My DNA screen is cracked and it's not under warranty so I have to get a new phone. I would just like to know if the DNA is going to be updated or not. And if it is, to what version. If not, then I can make the decision of getting another DNA knowing it will only be at 4.1. However, if I like the new features etc in 4.2 or 4.3 or 4.4 then I know I need to search for a new phone. It's not a matter of being entitled or expecting an update, just to know my options.
    masc69 likes this.

Dark- Just got this phone, cant find an easy root guide anywhere....how do you root this thing?!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryanfoley613 View Post
    Dark- Just got this phone, cant find an easy root guide anywhere....how do you root this thing?!!
    I used the revone method on XDA, not sure if it still works since the last update. Moonshine would be considered the easy one I guess.

And I'm not sure about wallet. I've never had to use it.

Sorry to skip through the first few pages of whining.
    New here. Have had my DNA for about 2 weeks now and love it. Still on 4.1.1 and Sense 4+, are there any currently available updates I am missing?
    Girlfriend just picked up the DROID Ultra with 4.2.2 and I think it looks amazing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3158958

The OP spoke directly to an HTC rep.

Sent from my DNA...

Quote Originally Posted by D_Norm_A View Post
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3158958

The OP spoke directly to an HTC rep.

Sent from my DNA...
    Thanks man.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12