Are we ever going to get Kit Kat?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
And what ever happened to Android 4.3? Seems like we went from Android 4.2x to 4.4. Did I miss something?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And what ever happened to Android 4.3? Seems like we went from Android 4.2x to 4.4. Did I miss something?

4.3 was released in July, and I am guessing served as a springboard (OS platform preparation) for 4.4. As for whether your device will get the update or not, I have no idea.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
it's supposed to get an update to 4.2.2 within a few weeks, but this will probably be the final major software update we get

So we're not going to get either 4.3 or 4.4?

WOW.....that really sucks. That will cause me to rething ever buying an HTC phone again. Seems like their attitude is that once a phone is 4-5 months old it's forgotten about.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

WOW.....that really sucks. That will cause me to rething ever buying an HTC phone again. Seems like their attitude is that once a phone is 4-5 months old it's forgotten about.

That may be partially your carrier too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
it's supposed to get an update to 4.2.2 within a few weeks, but this will probably be the final major software update we get

I'm not so sure about that. HTC has actually been making an effort to keep their phones upgraded lately. They beat Samsung to the punch with 4.3 so I don't see why that trend wouldn't continue

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
A post from a thread a week ago quotes an HTC exec saying that plans for the DNA are for 4.2 in Nov, and then 4.4 in Q1 (skipping 4.3).
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/325858-htc-exec-dna-upgrade-timeline-4-2-2-nov-4-4-q1.html#post3158958

Of course, VZW has a history of delaying updates ... I remember the Thunderbolt :)

I really hope that 4.4 is a reality for the DNA. I am not going to hold my breath, though. Nonetheless, the new hangouts app is the major thing from 4.4 I wanted, which I already obtained the apk last night, so I am good with my DNA until it dies at this point.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
A post from a thread a week ago quotes an HTC exec saying that plans for the DNA are for 4.2 in Nov, and then 4.4 in Q1 (skipping 4.3).
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/325858-htc-exec-dna-upgrade-timeline-4-2-2-nov-4-4-q1.html#post3158958

Of course, VZW has a history of delaying updates ... I remember the Thunderbolt :)

That kind of fits in with what HTC announced earlier, saying that HTC One's will be getting the update within 3 months. Though I won't be holding my breath for Q1 4.4, but I guess late Q1 or early Q2...

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Then maybe next time you should buy the Google Play Edition of an HTC phone. The HTC One Google Play Edition is going to get 4.4 in 13 more days. Or you could realize that you're complaining about a mobile OS, grow up, and find something more important to be angry about. Oh wait! You're probably right now that I think about it, next time buy the Samsung! That'll work out GREAT!! It's a mobile OS man..........

jsting76

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Great news! We will definitely get Kit Kat. HTC Executive posted this tweet today to DNA owner: Jason Mackenzie (@JasonMacHTC) tweeted at 2:26 AM on Sat, Nov 02, 2013:
@crmeyerhofer Chad, we will update it with 4.4. Schedule is under review currently.

RLGL1

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
What HTC states and what we get are two different things. Trust me , by the time Verizon gets a hold of it , nothing will happen. Just like ICS came out for the T'bolt, more than 2 years AFTER the thing was released.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that 4.4 is a reality for the DNA. I am not going to hold my breath, though. Nonetheless, the new hangouts app is the major thing from 4.4 I wanted, which I already obtained the apk last night, so I am good with my DNA until it dies at this point.

Me too. I would still like updates though!

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
How hard was it to update the apk? Can you screw up your phone? what is the process?

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
What HTC states and what we get are two different things. Trust me , by the time Verizon gets a hold of it , nothing will happen. Just like ICS came out for the T'bolt, more than 2 years AFTER the thing was released.

I'm getting to the point that while I think Verizon and their testing slow down the updates I also lay plenty of blame on HTC. If delayed updates were entirely Verizon 's fault then Samsung phones would also be experiencing long delays instead of the rather timely updates they receive.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

donsmith1964

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
They are updating top of the line models only. Even though they still charge the same for the DNA, Verizon will find a reason to deny its official updates beyond 4.2.2 in my opinion. I don't root my phone. I am pretty happy with it.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
HTC is getting better with updating though. DROID is Verizon and Verizon still sucks worse then anyone with updates im sure HTC doesn't even wanna deal with them

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC is getting better with updating though. DROID is Verizon and Verizon still sucks worse then anyone with updates im sure HTC doesn't even wanna deal with them

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Do you.. not realize that the DNA is an HTC phone? "DROID" is simply a Verizon brand. Nothing more. It means nothing. And honestly, whatever improvements HTC is making with support of the One line is, I'm sure, short lived - DNA owners were saying the same thing a year ago. I fully expect One owners will sound slide Thunderbolt and DNA owners in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4