Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are we ever going to get Kit Kat?

And what ever happened to Android 4.3? Seems like we went from Android 4.2x to 4.4. Did I miss something?

Global Posts
    17,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Are we ever going to get Kit Kat?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    And what ever happened to Android 4.3? Seems like we went from Android 4.2x to 4.4. Did I miss something?
    4.3 was released in July, and I am guessing served as a springboard (OS platform preparation) for 4.4. As for whether your device will get the update or not, I have no idea.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

it's supposed to get an update to 4.2.2 within a few weeks, but this will probably be the final major software update we get
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    it's supposed to get an update to 4.2.2 within a few weeks, but this will probably be the final major software update we get
    So we're not going to get either 4.3 or 4.4?

WOW.....that really sucks. That will cause me to rething ever buying an HTC phone again. Seems like their attitude is that once a phone is 4-5 months old it's forgotten about.

Global Posts
    17,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

WOW.....that really sucks. That will cause me to rething ever buying an HTC phone again. Seems like their attitude is that once a phone is 4-5 months old it's forgotten about.
    That may be partially your carrier too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. HTC has actually been making an effort to keep their phones upgraded lately. They beat Samsung to the punch with 4.3 so I don't see why that trend wouldn't continue

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

A post from a thread a week ago quotes an HTC exec saying that plans for the DNA are for 4.2 in Nov, and then 4.4 in Q1 (skipping 4.3).
    HTC Exec - DNA upgrade timeline: 4.2.2 in Nov.; 4.4 Q1

Of course, VZW has a history of delaying updates ... I remember the Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:
    masc69 likes this.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    A post from a thread a week ago quotes an HTC exec saying that plans for the DNA are for 4.2 in Nov, and then 4.4 in Q1 (skipping 4.3).

I really hope that 4.4 is a reality for the DNA. I am not going to hold my breath, though. Nonetheless, the new hangouts app is the major thing from 4.4 I wanted, which I already obtained the apk last night, so I am good with my DNA until it dies at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post

That kind of fits in with what HTC announced earlier, saying that HTC One's will be getting the update within 3 months. Though I won't be holding my breath for Q1 4.4, but I guess late Q1 or early Q2...

Then maybe next time you should buy the Google Play Edition of an HTC phone. The HTC One Google Play Edition is going to get 4.4 in 13 more days. Or you could realize that you're complaining about a mobile OS, grow up, and find something more important to be angry about. Oh wait! You're probably right now that I think about it, next time buy the Samsung! That'll work out GREAT!! It's a mobile OS man..........

Great news! We will definitely get Kit Kat. HTC Executive posted this tweet today to DNA owner: Jason Mackenzie (@JasonMacHTC) tweeted at 2:26 AM on Sat, Nov 02, 2013:
    @crmeyerhofer Chad, we will update it with 4.4. Schedule is under review currently.

What HTC states and what we get are two different things. Trust me , by the time Verizon gets a hold of it , nothing will happen. Just like ICS came out for the T'bolt, more than 2 years AFTER the thing was released.

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    I really hope that 4.4 is a reality for the DNA. I am not going to hold my breath, though. Nonetheless, the new hangouts app is the major thing from 4.4 I wanted, which I already obtained the apk last night, so I am good with my DNA until it dies at this point.
    Me too. I would still like updates though!

How hard was it to update the apk? Can you screw up your phone? what is the process?

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller440 View Post
    How hard was it to update the apk? Can you screw up your phone? what is the process?
    No need to get the .apk now because updates in the Google Play Store are already rolling out. I got mine a day ago & it's not bad at all. Just a little more patience...

Quote Originally Posted by RLGL1 View Post
    What HTC states and what we get are two different things. Trust me , by the time Verizon gets a hold of it , nothing will happen. Just like ICS came out for the T'bolt, more than 2 years AFTER the thing was released.
    I'm getting to the point that while I think Verizon and their testing slow down the updates I also lay plenty of blame on HTC. If delayed updates were entirely Verizon 's fault then Samsung phones would also be experiencing long delays instead of the rather timely updates they receive.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

They are updating top of the line models only. Even though they still charge the same for the DNA, Verizon will find a reason to deny its official updates beyond 4.2.2 in my opinion. I don't root my phone. I am pretty happy with it.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    That may be partially your carrier too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    But it's a notorious HTC trait. Saw it with the Eris, the Thunderbolt, and now the DNA. Definitely my last HTC phone.
    paulmike3 likes this.

HTC is getting better with updating though. DROID is Verizon and Verizon still sucks worse then anyone with updates im sure HTC doesn't even wanna deal with them

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    BotMaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    HTC is getting better with updating though. DROID is Verizon and Verizon still sucks worse then anyone with updates im sure HTC doesn't even wanna deal with them

Do you.. not realize that the DNA is an HTC phone? "DROID" is simply a Verizon brand. Nothing more. It means nothing. And honestly, whatever improvements HTC is making with support of the One line is, I'm sure, short lived - DNA owners were saying the same thing a year ago. I fully expect One owners will sound slide Thunderbolt and DNA owners in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    BotMaster likes this.

Ok and it's still a Verizon phone as well all the updates go thru the carrier who knows how Verizon handles HTC with their updates

Ok and it's still a Verizon phone as well all the updates go thru the carrier who knows how Verizon handles HTC with their updates

Heh you can blame Verizon if you'd like, fine by me. But I'd counter by asking why do other Verizon phones update more reliably, with fewer newly introduced bugs, and in a more timely fashion, than HTC?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Lol like the S3 and S4 right now? Good one

luke31 likes this.

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Lol like the S3 and S4 right now? Good one

Well, you know what they say. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)
    DS1331 likes this.

Verizon moto x is getting 4.4 . HTC needs to get on the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast