Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kindle Reader app consuming HUGE AMOUNTS of data

So, I've used the Amazon Kindle Reader app for several years; first on my HTC Thunderbolt, and then on my HTC Droid DNA. Never had any problems on the Thunderbolt. Got the DNA at the end of December 2012 & started using the Kindle Reader app right away. Love to be able to do most things on a single device (even though I also use an original Kindle Fire, an original Nexus 7 & a Nexus 10 along the way!)
    I had no problems whatsoever with this app ..... UNTIL ...
    towards the end of September/beginning of October (I can't pinpoint exactly when), the Kindle app on my DroidDNA went haywire and started using MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF DATA. During my 9/26-10/25 billing cycle, by October 18, the app had consumed ALMOST 2GB of my data usage allowance!
    After lots of angst, & paying Verizon for more data during the billing cycle in order to avoid double-overage fees, I disabled the Kindle Reader app.
    Once the data cycle reset on October 26, I re-enabled the app to see what would happen. In less than 48 hours, the app used more than 700MB. Well of course, I disabled it then.
    This app worked flawlessly on my DNA until the end of September/beginning of October
    I've been on the phone with Kindle support and Verizon support. No one has been able to get a clue as to why, all of a sudden, this app has begun to consume such huge amounts of data. A couple of other people on the Amazon sites have described similar problems & they each have different mobile devices. Neither of them had found any solution either.

Has anyone experienced similar problems and found any solutions?
    (I'm using my old Thunderbolt, on WIFI only, as my Kindle reader app for the time being, but I want the ability to use my main phone/device for my all-in-one-on-the-go device back.)

Default Re: Kindle Reader app consuming HUGE AMOUNTS of data

I haven't this problem with the Kindle app and I haven't heard of a solution ... but I'd think of a work-around.

ICS and laters have the option to restrict mobile data for an app, but not via WiFi.
    On Settings, Wireless&Networks, More, Usage ... you'd find the option.

I'm having a similar issue. Found your post while researching 'huge amounts of data being consumed'. My Android phone, a Razr M, began consuming enormous amounts of data while tethering over the last month or two, it got so bad 2 or 3 weeks ago that I was getting an alert from Verizon EVERY HOUR about having consumed ANOTHER GIG! A gig an hour?!! Really? I was doing some heavy tethering, but so what. It still shouldn't consume that kind of data.
    I've spent the last week out of town down in the Missouri Ozarks where I only get 3G. I tethered at least as much but likely more than I do ordinarily (ordinarily I'm in the Chicagoland area on 4G) yet over 6 days of heavy tethering down there I only consumed 2.25 tethering gigs. That's where it ought to be all the time. Just spent an hour on the phone with Verizon trying to get them to tell me what could possibly be the difference, and what adjustment I can make on my phone's data connection to ensure that we don't exceed a gig on average/day. Of course, telling us how we can avoid overages that pay them $500/mo vs $300/mo is not a secret they're going to share. I figure I need a hack to force 3G perhaps. But I do find it quite interesting that your data has gone off the charts at the same time that mine has.

Version and sprint rip peoples mouths out

Posted via Android Central App
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot