"10 attempts remain before device data is deleted"?

nanepiwo

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If you're using a screen lock, then you can't get rid of it. If you turn off the screen lock under the security tab, that'll get rid of it, but then your phone is unsecured and someone could delete whatever they wanted to.
Go to Settings > Security > Device Administrators and Unchecked Local Wipe Policy.

jwrusher

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Had my Galaxy S5 in my pocket as I always do. When I pulled it out a message read deleting SD Card. I turned it off and back on then had a message that 10 attempts had been made to unlock the phone. Phone will be reset to factory defaults. No other option. Called Verizon Tech Support and they were like yeah that's a new android feature, sorry. Everything gone, all data on memory card gone.

Very bad decission soneone make to allow this to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanepiwo

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
They should make it so that after 10 attempts you can't do ANYTHING with the phone until you click a link in your e-mail (not even BIOS). This would make stealing the phone useless and nothing too bad can happen by accident. What is the likelihood of someone stealing your phone and e-mail password at the same time?

TriciaHefner

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings > Security > Device Administrators and Unchecked Local Wipe Policy.

THANK YOU!!
I came here to search for a solution after my 3 year old factory reset my phone TWICE IN ONE MONTH. This was a horrible idea by Motorola or Android or whoever came up with it!

Abdullah syed

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

Kind of annoying if you ask me.

Pretty easy to turn it off.Just go to your setting, hit lock screen tab, then scroll down to where it says auto factory reset.

K2stevenK2

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

There a workaround that I found to get rid of that annoying feature on the S5.
Step 1: Register your fingerprint and alternative password.
Step 2: Go to screen lock method and select whatever method you prefer. (You'll need to enter your fingerprint or password)
Step 3: Go into settings and then Lock Screen and scroll to the bottom. There should now be an option that tells you the ten time erase. Uncheck the box next to it.
And there you have it. Hope it works for you! Worked for my wife and I. We have a three year old so you can imagine how that feature could backfire on us.

AshleyB85

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but i don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

if you go under lock screen on the s5 or on any other droid... Scroll down to the bottom and you can cliq a check box and turn the feature off... It's calle auto factory reset. U nc heck it and it will turn it off

xited

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I desperately need help. Someone played around with my phone while I went to my physics teacher so help. I do not know anyone at my table but someone attempted to breach my phones swipe lock. It's apparent they failed,and either out of frustration or retaliation they reset my phone. What's stupid about this is that, once reset the phone is unlocked and it's as if it was brand new. How is this any bit logical? This does not provide protection to my phone if It were stolen, nor is it safe for the user. Your phone can be erased completely and left for you, or erased completely and be new and fresh for the person who stole it. I am completely and utterly disappointed with what has happened. I have lost thousands of documents,photos and memories that are now long gone. Is there anyway to get all of it back? I'm upset with the loss of my photos as they had precious memories of my gf and I that I'll never get back. I'm using the Samsung note 3 and my carrier is Verizon.

nanepiwo

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, there is no way or an extremely difficult way to recover from a factory reset. I agree this is simply an irritating and useless feature.

EDIT: Try searching for "recover factory reset android." I got (sorry, cant post links) jihosoft.comXX/recover-data/recover-data-after-factory-reset.html I really hope this works for you. (Remove XX from link before using)

EDIT 2: Welcome to the forums!! :)

Last edited:

Mprov113

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Why did they do away witht he 10 attempts prompt you to access the phone with google password????? THIS FEATURE SUCKS!!!! My daughter was just messing with my phone and brought it to me as it is deleting all of my data including over a year of videos and pics of my family I'll never get back... I'm so Irrate right now I want to smash this phone... How a security feature could be so short sighted to cause massive data loss is irresponsible and absollute bull****. I feel like somoene kicked my dog.. Idiots... great work HTC...

Juandurfelworld

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
So someone messed with my phone... And now i'm sad...

They were messing with my phone, and when I got it back I get a message saying the memory is being wiped, and I literally mean everything. It got restored to how I first got it. If someone else had it and wiped the memory they would have themselves a free phone because it was as good as new, since you can enter your new info and everything. Had all my stuff in this phone, not exactly sure what to do...

Why would they even put this in here? This is depressing...

Frankenbilly

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
You can do it. You have to go to settings>security>device administration. Then select device administrators. One of the options will be local wipe policy. Uncheck that icon. You did it, Congratulations

IIKAGEII

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
A bad idea??? If someone takes my phone and is trying to guess my password then that means they have not had my permission to use my phone. If they keep trying to access it you better believe I want my information erased. I have credit cards, bank accounts, emails, texts etc. I have my phone with me most all the time. It's like a wallet. Kids don't touch my phone neither should a "friend" unless I give it to them. If someone would lock it out by guessing my pw wrong then we have a bigger issue than my phone just being wiped. I have everything backed up in case I need to restore my info.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

And for those of us who have phone sitting on a table while working or while at school sitting on desk? Then they purposely wipe your phone yea this is very unintiligent should atleast be optional i would prefer not having just anyone access my device and also not have someone take my phone and wipe everything with a password thats for *security* security of what if they wipe everything off my phone?

You can do it. You have to go to settings>security>device administration. Then select device administrators. One of the options will be local wipe policy. Uncheck that icon. You did it, Congratulations
Device administrator* and it doesnt work