"10 attempts remain before device data is deleted"?

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

Kind of annoying if you ask me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that's a native Android security feature. Is it part of some Verizon or HTC security feature? Or do you have a 3rd party security app installed?

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're using a screen lock, then you can't get rid of it. If you turn off the screen lock under the security tab, that'll get rid of it, but then your phone is unsecured and someone could delete whatever they wanted to.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords? Set it down somewhere, someone picks it up to play with it, find out who it belongs to, make a call, whatever; and seeing that on the lock screen would like an irresistible invitation to a certain type of person, who'd otherwise never think it. I talked to Verizon today, they had no clue. My HTC One is also running 4.2.2, and it's never had this message. It would seem that it was introduced on the DNA only as part of the 4.2.2 update and I'm frustrated about it.

Sent from my Highly Technically Capable DNA

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
This is not new, though. I used a pin lock when on 4.1 and this was there. It was also on my thunderbolt running gingerbread. It's meant for security. If you don't have a problem with people using your device, then turn off the pin lock. I'd rather know that someone can't brute force their way into my device before it's wiped.

Last edited:

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This is not new, though. I used a pin lock when on 4.1 and this was there. It was also on my thunderbolt running gingerbread. It's meant for security. If you don't have a problem with people using your device, then turn off the pin lock. I'd rather know that someone can't brute force their way into my device before it's wiped.

I have always noticed this message as well. The only reason I have a pin lock on my phone is my job's email acct requires my phone have a screen lock code. Just annoying that I have to always enter the code to use my phone. Sometimes I want a quick picture or access to something and I have to waste time entering the stupid code!

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have always noticed this message as well. The only reason I have a pin lock on my phone is my job's email acct requires my phone have a screen lock code. Just annoying that I have to always enter the code to use my phone. Sometimes I want a quick picture or access to something and I have to waste time entering the stupid code!

I've always had corporate email on my phone also and though not required, have always used a pin code on my smartphones. My OG Droid didn't have the message. My HTC Rezound didn't have it, neither does my HTC One, which ran the same 4.2.2 out of the box. My HTC DNA didn't have it either...until the 4.2.2 update, so it's sure new to me. Why would they add it to the DNA when their newer phone running the same version of the OS doesn't have it? I chatted with HTC support last night and the only answer they could give me was "it's a security improvement and can't change it". I'd much prefer that a warning pop up after, say, 6-7 attempts.

Last edited:

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 4.3 today and saw this message for first time on my pattern lock screen. This was meant to improve security, but it has actually made easier for malicious people to cause damage. The obvious question is "What if somebody purposely enters the wrong pattern 10 times to wipe my data?"

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords?

I wonder what happens when the data gets wiped? The lock screen remains with the same password, but literally everything else--namely, security/phone tracking apps--gets deleted? Anyone with mischievious siblings, d ick friends, or capacitive b utt pockets is in danger of having everything erased. Not all critical data is automatically backed up to the cloud.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords? Set it down somewhere, someone picks it up to play with it, find out who it belongs to, make a call, whatever; and seeing that on the lock screen would like an irresistible invitation to a certain type of person, who'd otherwise never think it. I talked to Verizon today, they had no clue. My HTC One is also running 4.2.2, and it's never had this message. It would seem that it was introduced on the DNA only as part of the 4.2.2 update and I'm frustrated about it.

Aaaand another data point: just updated my HTC One to 4.3, and now this nasty message is also showing up on my One! So the answer seems to be it's an HTC thing, and they have recently decided it's a good idea and are adding it to their updates.

Posted via my Honestly TerrifiC One

Niklas W

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you guys sure it's HTC related?
You mention pattern. On my Nexus 5 I'm using a PIN and there I can't see the text (would it show up for those of you using PIN also, you think?).

Anyway, I think it's bad I can't have it, I'd love to have that feature. Or the opportunity to enter a certain pattern/PIN ONCE, decided by me, that would be pre-set to wipe the data. If I really urgently would need to wipe it.

Myforumun

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I've been feeling the same way about the lock screen security wipe. I just tested it out on the new HTC one m8 and it a still there... Anyway I've started a petition on change. Org. Check it out and if you guys are with me maybe we can get some attention from them and maybe we can do something about it. Here's the link https://www.change.org/petitions/1511784?just_created=true

Natey24

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree with other posters. This is a dangerous feature. I think that allowing a device owner to remotely delete data is a good thing, but just failing on a password a few times could be a bad idea. I don't want to turn off security on my phone, but this feature makes me want to. I have nieces and nephews that play with my phone. If one of them got a hold of it they could inadvertently delete all my data. Or some other malicious person who finds my phone could easily remove my data. Does anyone know if this is an Android feature or an HTC feature? Is there any other posts that we can comment on that would allow me to request that this feature have an on/off switch?

More info. I was on Android 4.1 prior to this. On Android 4.1 it had a different message saying 'only 10 attempts remain before the phone will be locked for 30 seconds' I updated to 4.2.2 today and now it has this message. I am using an HTC DNA

Last edited by a moderator:

Tariovic

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not at all happy with this. My phone was in my pocket, got switched on, movements were read as password attempts - one wiped phone.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This feature is more for people who use the phone for their company email, VPN, etc. For me, the feature is automatically turned on when I added my exchange account to my phone. I receive company email and keep a lot of company sensitive data on my phone as it is really an extension of my laptop. If someone stole my phone, it could negatively affect my company.

People who only use their phone for personal use only have the option to turn off the security feature or modify it.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
A bad idea??? If someone takes my phone and is trying to guess my password then that means they have not had my permission to use my phone. If they keep trying to access it you better believe I want my information erased. I have credit cards, bank accounts, emails, texts etc. I have my phone with me most all the time. It's like a wallet. Kids don't touch my phone neither should a "friend" unless I give it to them. If someone would lock it out by guessing my pw wrong then we have a bigger issue than my phone just being wiped. I have everything backed up in case I need to restore my info.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I'm not at all happy with this. My phone was in my pocket, got switched on, movements were read as password attempts - one wiped phone.

Really? I have to use my finger to attempt my pw. If it touches fabric then the material keeps it from even recognizing a touch on the screen not to mention that before I even put my code in I have to swipe the lock screen prior to attempting a code entry. There is allot of movements, precise things that have to happen before failing a pw attempt

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Shaw

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I only use a pin because i have my american express, visa, banking etc all on my phone, you need passwords of course but it is something i would freak out about if someone stole my phone...

I suppose there isnt much a thief could do with your phone that could harm you or could they? i could care less if they know what my emails or texts say...

rallehunknown

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

I got 9 times and it is wiped just after I updated my Samsung galaxy s5 but I knew you could turn it off on this not sure if this will help all smart phones but I went into my lock screen setting and it was at the very bottom just click it and turn it off or on. Hope this helped anyone!

Oh42Na

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
yeah, my sister in law just got her phone wiped by her 2.5 year old toddler while she was taking care of her 1 month old. now she's lost all her photos of the new baby. Seems like a terrible feature. I can understand what they are getting at, but they should do something like if you forgot your pin after certain number of attempts it emails you. then they don't have to wipe for security in case the phone was stolen. This was not thought through very well.

avoidthenoid

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
This feature makes no sense. If someone wants what's on your phone, it's protected by your password. You should have a password that cannot be guessed. If they want to steal the device, it would be useless locked, but all they have to do is wipe it with 10 failed attempts, and they have the device as it is out of the box. I see zero advantage to the feature, but I see disadvantages (my 6 YO daughter resent my phone for me).