Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KSDroid01
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "10 attempts remain before device data is deleted"?

Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

Kind of annoying if you ask me.

Default Re: "10 attempts remain before device data is deleted"?

I don't think that's a native Android security feature. Is it part of some Verizon or HTC security feature? Or do you have a 3rd party security app installed?

ROM
    Stock

If you're using a screen lock, then you can't get rid of it. If you turn off the screen lock under the security tab, that'll get rid of it, but then your phone is unsecured and someone could delete whatever they wanted to.
    "He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

Quote Originally Posted by Preformer19 View Post
    Can this be turned off? Looked in security settings and found nothing. I know it's a kinda-useful feature and all, but I don't want someone purposely entering the wrong password just for the sake of deleting all the phone data.

Kind of annoying if you ask me.
    I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords? Set it down somewhere, someone picks it up to play with it, find out who it belongs to, make a call, whatever; and seeing that on the lock screen would like an irresistible invitation to a certain type of person, who'd otherwise never think it. I talked to Verizon today, they had no clue. My HTC One is also running 4.2.2, and it's never had this message. It would seem that it was introduced on the DNA only as part of the 4.2.2 update and I'm frustrated about it.

Sent from my Highly Technically Capable DNA
    jrwatson likes this.

ROM
    Stock

This is not new, though. I used a pin lock when on 4.1 and this was there. It was also on my thunderbolt running gingerbread. It's meant for security. If you don't have a problem with people using your device, then turn off the pin lock. I'd rather know that someone can't brute force their way into my device before it's wiped.
    Last edited by Mikey D_PhD; 12-09-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    "He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D_PhD View Post
    This is not new, though. I used a pin lock when on 4.1 and this was there. It was also on my thunderbolt running gingerbread. It's meant for security. If you don't have a problem with people using your device, then turn off the pin lock. I'd rather know that someone can't brute force their way into my device before it's wiped.
    I have always noticed this message as well. The only reason I have a pin lock on my phone is my job's email acct requires my phone have a screen lock code. Just annoying that I have to always enter the code to use my phone. Sometimes I want a quick picture or access to something and I have to waste time entering the stupid code!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg23 View Post
    I have always noticed this message as well. The only reason I have a pin lock on my phone is my job's email acct requires my phone have a screen lock code. Just annoying that I have to always enter the code to use my phone. Sometimes I want a quick picture or access to something and I have to waste time entering the stupid code!
    I've always had corporate email on my phone also and though not required, have always used a pin code on my smartphones. My OG Droid didn't have the message. My HTC Rezound didn't have it, neither does my HTC One, which ran the same 4.2.2 out of the box. My HTC DNA didn't have it either...until the 4.2.2 update, so it's sure new to me. Why would they add it to the DNA when their newer phone running the same version of the OS doesn't have it? I chatted with HTC support last night and the only answer they could give me was "it's a security improvement and can't change it". I'd much prefer that a warning pop up after, say, 6-7 attempts.

Last edited by KSDroid01; 12-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.

I updated to 4.3 today and saw this message for first time on my pattern lock screen. This was meant to improve security, but it has actually made easier for malicious people to cause damage. The obvious question is "What if somebody purposely enters the wrong pattern 10 times to wipe my data?"

Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post
    I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords?
    I wonder what happens when the data gets wiped? The lock screen remains with the same password, but literally everything else--namely, security/phone tracking apps--gets deleted? Anyone with mischievious siblings, d ick friends, or capacitive b utt pockets is in danger of having everything erased. Not all critical data is automatically backed up to the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post
    I think it is more than annoying, it's dangerous. The phone can be remotely wiped via Device Manager or apps, so why should it advertise to someone that picks up my phone and wants to be malicious that all they have to do to wipe it is put in 10 random passwords? Set it down somewhere, someone picks it up to play with it, find out who it belongs to, make a call, whatever; and seeing that on the lock screen would like an irresistible invitation to a certain type of person, who'd otherwise never think it. I talked to Verizon today, they had no clue. My HTC One is also running 4.2.2, and it's never had this message. It would seem that it was introduced on the DNA only as part of the 4.2.2 update and I'm frustrated about it.

Aaaand another data point: just updated my HTC One to 4.3, and now this nasty message is also showing up on my One! So the answer seems to be it's an HTC thing, and they have recently decided it's a good idea and are adding it to their updates.

Posted via my Honestly TerrifiC One

Are you guys sure it's HTC related?
    You mention pattern. On my Nexus 5 I'm using a PIN and there I can't see the text (would it show up for those of you using PIN also, you think?).

Anyway, I think it's bad I can't have it, I'd love to have that feature. Or the opportunity to enter a certain pattern/PIN ONCE, decided by me, that would be pre-set to wipe the data. If I really urgently would need to wipe it.