1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone else having this problem? Android System battery usage 78%

After the update I've been having battery issues.. barely used my phone today since I'm a waiter.. checked to see what drained my phone in ten hours and it's Android System at 78%. Has anyone else had this issue? As I use my phone the battery % is dropping in front of me..

Sent from my Droid DNA using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else having this problem? Android System battery usage 78%-1387089553639.jpg  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Anyone else having this problem? Android System battery usage 78%

Wakelock and phone history

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else having this problem? Android System battery usage 78%-1387089646584.jpg   Anyone else having this problem? Android System battery usage 78%-1387089704695.jpg  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I was having the same horrendous battery life and I decided to do a full reset of the system. I moved all of my pictures to my laptop so they wouldn't be deleted, due to the lack of an SD card like the Thunderbolt..., and after the full wipe and reset, it has been insane battery life. I disabled all of the apps that I never use and I'm sure that has helped, but I am currently at 24% left with 18.5 hours, however this was light use today. I was averaging 15 hours before the update with moderate use.

tl;dr Do a full system reset, move your pictures and all that to your laptop so you don't lose them. Good luck.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The only thing is when I got the 4.2 update I did do a factory reset as soon as I got the update.. and after the first few days I did get great battery life.. My battery does well when I'm not using the phone but as soon as I start using it now I can just sit there and watch the battery drain away.. much faster in the last 2 days

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dasaucemasta View Post
    After the update I've been having battery issues.. barely used my phone today since I'm a waiter.. checked to see what drained my phone in ten hours and it's Android System at 78%. Has anyone else had this issue? As I use my phone the battery % is dropping in front of me..

You may wish to do a factory reset. My DNA has had slightly worse battery life since the update, but it has not decreased that badly. My phone has been running for twelve hours with low usage today and I still have 50% of the battery left. Usually I can make it about 14 hours with moderate-high usage during my workday. The main drain on my battery is Google Play Services.

Try just powering down about 3 times. Not a restart but a full power down. Sometimes I get a glitch like this and it will take more than one power down to fix it. I suggest making sure fast boot is turned off and you power the phone down for about a minute and then fire it back up. Do that about 3 times and that fixes the problem for me most of the time. I've had this problem multiple times (5+) and have never done a reset. Once I started doing multiple power downs I've always been able to fix the problem. Hope this helps

Also, try uninstalling Facebook.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I had something similar happen on my Nexus 7. A reset seemed to do the trick.

I've definitely notice a decrease in battery life with the new update. My commute to/from work lasts about an hour each way; during that time, I read the news on Flipboard (~40min of my commute), and listen to music on Pandora (the whole commute). On auto-brightness pre-update, my battery would be around ~80% when I got into the office. Today, it was at 67%. Pretty significant IMO. I'll see if the same happens tomorrow. In the past 2.5 hours, I've only checked the screen a few time for texts, and the battery is already down to 48%. Without a charger at work, it would definitely be dead by the time I got out. I know I had better battery life pre-update :/.

I had my DNA replaced, because it took me half a year to find out my old one was a dud. It had pretty bad problems with battery life (and GPS) too--if a reset doesn't fix your battery consumption, I'd try to contact customer service before your warranty expires (if it hasn't already).

I had this happen when I was using chrome browser... Removed checke chrome and no more problems.

Here's more on battery drain with additional solutions

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3266590

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dasaucemasta View Post

I had the same culprit showing up after the update but the suggestion of unchecking fastboot and performing three consecutive complete shutdowns seems to have fixed it.

And dude...164 times on FB...am I reading that right? Get a life, man! :-)

Sent from my Highly Technically Capable DNA or my Happily Trusted Conquering One
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions I'm going to try everything out and see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post

And dude...164 times on FB...am I reading that right? Get a life, man! :-)
    Haha I dont go on it that much I think somehow facebook opens on its own - might be draining my battery

My initial bootup after the update left me with awful battery life that first charge. I was down to like 10% with very little use at like 18 hours. Now that i restarted it, Im looking at 2 days easy before needing a charge. Take in mind I have very light use on my phone lately. But still, the fact it could go that long compared to just after update, something corrected itself after a restart.
    Droid DNA
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 7 2012
    Droid Incredible (MP3 Player)

I restarted my phone like 5 times since the update, and switched the preferred network to CDMA, but it still drains like crazy :/. I can't deal with crappy batteries--my first DNA had an equally atrocious battery life, and I had to lug around a portable charger every time I want to leave the house for more than 6 hours.

Does a factory reset delete your contacts?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Woody View Post
    My contacts list was backed-up via Verizon's auto sync thing. Some names were out of whack, but all of the numbers were still there. I didn't know what to expect.

After my full wipe and my previous post of insane battery life, it has been completely hit and miss lately. The "android system" is still a huge battery hog most days. I don't know what to do.

It is better than the original installation, but the previous software gave me more battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Woody View Post
    Depends if you have all your stuff saved to google or the phone. if its all to google then it will already be backed up so when you log back in after the reset, it will auto sync them all back in to the phone.
    Droid DNA
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 7 2012
    Droid Incredible (MP3 Player)