Droid DNA: What will it take for you to upgrade?

xtcFlash

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Every Day... I walk out of the house at 5:35... 100% Battery! That leaves me 15 Minutes to drive, and 10 Minutes to check my notifications and FB before i start work and i usually start work at 90%... uh WHAT?n ! I work a 9 Hour Shift, With a Break From 8-815, Lunch 10-11 and break 1-115... When i am not on a break or lunch, my phone is in Airplane mode and does not get used due to low signal in building.... I use my phone pretty normally when on breaks, just checking facebook, instagram, emails and texts... On my lunch i do all of that plus stream Spotify...By time 3oclock hits... I am down to 30% if i am lucky... I used to be able to go an ENTIRE DAY OFF in roughly the same amount of time but with consistant heavy usage and only drop to mabybe 65%....

Unfortunately... I have already decided to finally use my Upgrade next friday, around the time the Supposed "Pushed Back" Update is suppose to finally push out... <_<

This is my experience exactly. Battery seems to burn so quickly with minimal use.

Posted via Android Central App

NavasC

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
For those of you with a battery that's dying fairly quickly.. Are you using any app that *might* prevent your phone from going into "deep sleep" when the screen is off?

I only ask because for a long time, Skype had this issue and recently fixed it, and some other apps have been known to continually ping for data in the background and prevent the phone from actually preserving battery when not actively in use.

Wakelock Detector is a great app for finding these kind of rogue apps. I'd recommend it, it helped me remove a few apps that were draining my battery, I easily get 16+ hours out of my battery most days over a year after owning my DNA.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
For those of you with a battery that's dying fairly quickly.. Are you using any app that *might* prevent your phone from going into "deep sleep" when the screen is off?

I only ask because for a long time, Skype had this issue and recently fixed it, and some other apps have been known to continually ping for data in the background and prevent the phone from actually preserving battery when not actively in use.

Wakelock Detector is a great app for finding these kind of rogue apps. I'd recommend it, it helped me remove a few apps that were draining my battery, I easily get 16+ hours out of my battery most days over a year after owning my DNA.

This is my guess. Seems like really bad drain compared. I average over a day on 1 charge, lately though since I dont use my phone much at work since I work outside, I can see 2 full days out of a charge. Granted Im not playing games and such all the rest of the time, but still, my battery doesnt drain randomly when it should be sleeping. Sounds like some app is messing with the phone.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Tried some tips from another post... search the phone up and down and also uninstalled apps i don't use enough to justify it... Nothing... Yesterday, i forgot to put my phone on Airplane mode... Damn thing went from 100% to 53% from 6am-10am... was dead by 1:45 :( Got home at 330, plugged it into the charger, after about 5 minutes i turned it on to check for missed notifications... by 8pm... the phone had only charged to 55%... RUH! Getting a replacement or Battery Changed out at the repair center is JUST NOT worth it to me for this phone :/! I am gonna break down and finally use my upgrade

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you got something going on with the phone for sure. Ive had mine on for 1 day and 4 hours since charging and Im at 43% still.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So because of this, i have decided to HOLD OFF on the getting a new phone! I did a hard reset on my phone my battery is better! Seems that Google Play Music is the culprit, even when force closed and not in use!! Unfortunately.. With only 16 GIGS and no External... I just do not have enough space for music, use GPM to Stream my entire library...

Attachments

• a;fjSDaf.png
    a;fjSDaf.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Cap1.JPG
    Cap1.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Any phone that doesn't have GPS and SIM card issues. I've had my phone replaced already, but I keep having the same issues. My SIM card randomly disconnects without the slightest provocation (e.g., it'll be charging on a table and randomly go out); when the SIM card doesn't entirely go out (rendering voice/text/internet useless), data usually does. I have to restart my phone all the time. Verizon's solution is to send out replacement SIM cards, but it's clearly an issue with the phone itself.

I don't really know what to look for in a phone now. My DNA is incredibly reliable when it comes to apps freezing and such (my family member's Note II freezes up all the time), but the SIM card/GPS/data issues makes me want to pull my hair out. I think I've learned to give up on early adopting and wait a few months to see what users have to say.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Any phone that doesn't have GPS and SIM card issues. I've had my phone replaced already, but I keep having the same issues. My SIM card randomly disconnects without the slightest provocation (e.g., it'll be charging on a table and randomly go out); when the SIM card doesn't entirely go out (rendering voice/text/internet useless), data usually does. I have to restart my phone all the time. Verizon's solution is to send out replacement SIM cards, but it's clearly an issue with the phone itself.

I don't really know what to look for in a phone now. My DNA is incredibly reliable when it comes to apps freezing and such (my family member's Note II freezes up all the time), but the SIM card/GPS/data issues makes me want to pull my hair out. I think I've learned to give up on early adopting and wait a few months to see what users have to say.

Pull the SIM and put one small piece of scotch tape on the back of the SIM. It thickens it up to hold it in place. Haven't had an issue after I did this.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Pull the SIM and put one small piece of scotch tape on the back of the SIM. It thickens it up to hold it in place. Haven't had an issue after I did this.

I needed 2 pieces of tape to solve my SIM card issues. It is problem with the SIM card tray, you can try contacting HTC for support.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I have officially sold my Droid DNA. I bought the Moto X off contract in December and kept the DNA around because I would still play around with it. Finally had to part ways, Hopefully see you all on more forums In the future!

xtcFlash

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I will be upgrading to the HTC M9. From the rumors so far it looks like it will be killer.

Better camera bigger and better screen and resolution and I imagine more power and better battery life

goutgrec

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
At this juncture, not much.

I liked my previous HTC Iceberg which I had with TMo for several years and which was excellent. I bought the DNA for the size and screen quality and relative ease of texting. I also thought the HTC interface on this phone would be as good as the previous.

There are many big issues I've had with the lack of functionality and instability. My home page widgets and apps disappear for no reason. It happens frequently. If I'm on a long call I've had voice mail interrupt and terminate a call for no reason. I've had ads come on during calls. I've had emails beep, interrupt and cut off a call. This is not unusual.

Normal tasks like attaching a photo to an email or text have been a nightmare on this phone, which showed a list, not the photos. The KitKat upgrade has solved that but reorganized my photos without giving me any options. Also, I think the camera is mediocre. Nowhere near as good as the camera on my ipad.

Mostly I use the phone on wifi. But when I travel I have to take along the charger. It sometimes lasts an entire long day but usually not. So the battery isn't great , though it isn't great on many phones and there are ways around that. That pales in comparison to the annoying other things going on.

Also, I'm not thrilled with the location of the volume. That also is unstable and the phone goes on mute for no reason. When I'm holding it, the volume must constantly be adjusted. Also, I use the phone for car navigation and the volume is in a bad spot for the holder.

I will give KitKat a chance and see if the functionality has improved. But when my contract is up in January I'm taking a serious look at the Galaxy and the larger iPhone. In that respect, this phone has not been a satisfactory investment, either. Had I purchased an Iphone when I bought this I could get something like $150-200 back. This phone is worth $50 now. Six months from now, who knows.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Got an email from Verizon today, offering me an upgrade and 100 off any phone over 199. That is really tempting to get the HTC One. I really dont need it but for 100, I would be more inclined to grab one.

goutgrec

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Post KitKat update.

I hate this update. What are they thinking? Options have been removed. The GPS function is buried. It still works but it's not as easy to activate.

My weather widget no longer works. Now I must let them know my every move (which I won't do) to get the weather on the screen. I can tap for it. Not as convenient.

Worst is the annoying Picasa messages. I don't have Picasa albums and don't want them. Every day I get annoying permission requests to let them access everything -- which I won't do -- so Picasa can do something but it doesn't say what.

Also, whatever is in this upgrade is sucking the life out of the battery.

This update has made me even more determined to upgrade to a different phone when the contact ends next year. I'll see what Samsung does -- many users like their phones a lot -- or unless apple botches the bigger iphone, I'll do that.

If Verizon/HTC/Google had done a better job I'd be keeping this phone for another year at least. It hasn't had hard wear. Shame.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i hear ya.

The battery drain is killing me, so i had to go in and disable background data for a ton of things, and disable GPS... it now only gives you either all 3 options for GPS on.... wifi/cellular location or off.... if you do wifi and cellular it pings the towers so often and drains the battery.... but the weather widget on the lock screen functions properly because it uses cell/wifi.... if you turn just GPS on, the weather widget no longer works.

they removed the option to change the lock screen. I dont want the time or my text messages popping up on the lock screen, but now i have no way to remove it. Blink feed kills my battery, and i dont care enough that i want someone posting that they just ate some sorta fish taco that gave them the squirts popping up on my homescreen.

i thought i would like the update, but they seem to have removed a ton of options. I like choices. So far the phone has been pretty reliable since they fixed those sim card issues (which have since returned). I'm not due for another 6 months or so, but my wife is shortly, just wondering what i should get her. She has Razr Maxx which has become so sluggish.

Nate7161

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You can opt out of the Picasa daily sync. Go to settings on you phone and click on Accounts & sync, then click on Google, then click on your email address, then unselect Picasa GLRPlugin. That should do it.

stinger22

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Other than useless phone to bluetooth headset I have no problems. From the getgo and through three phones phone bluetooth is totally unuseable for me, bad reception and people on the other end can't understand me as it is fuzzy. This with several headsets including Plantronics Voyager. Audio in the car to my Motorola speaker, using the FM modulator to the radio, is fine. Just the phone bluetooth.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: What will it take for you to upgrade ?

After being a thrilled T-Bolt user for 2 yrs I loved getting a DNA for free back in May.
I can't see upgrading for a loooong time.

I, too, had a thunderbolt and after I accidentally broke it I had to use a Samsung Droid Charge which was awful in comparison. The DNA was leagues better than both but newer phones haven't really impressed me enough to upgrade (outside of my cycle at least).

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: What will it take for you to upgrade ?

I ended up pulling the trigger on a new HTC One. Went to see a red one in person at Verizon and was instantly sold. Sad to leave the DNA behind as my main phone, but still gonna have it for a backup/music player at work to replace my old Droid Incredible. Overall its an awesome phone as we all expected. I had an upgrade available and still have another one I can use in a few months if need be. Very happy with my purchase though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12