Droid DNA: What will it take for you to upgrade?

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So my DNA is the first phone I have been happy with. I'm not due to upgrade till March but have received 5 email from Verizon offering me an early upgrade on the edge plan. I'm pretty sure it's because they want me off my unlimited data plan.

Any way, I have no desire to upgrade right now. I know there are some phones with better specs right now, but as far as I'm concerned nothing right now is worth upgrading to.

I'm going to have to see some phone that has a big bump in specs to get rid of my DNA. What about you ?

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: What will it take for you to upgrade ?

I feel like the market has slowed down quite a bit relative to years past. We've reached the point of adding a core or two, upping the processor speed, incrementally increasing some other spec, yet none of it translates to a noticeably better experience. My DNA runs just as well and just as smoothly as pretty much any other phone on the market right now. Definitely no need for an upgrade until something could truly make me say "Wow."

Posted via Android Central App

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

My DNA is the best phone I've had. The screen is awesome, the battery lasts me a long time, the camera is great and the sound quality us excellent. I have a tablet, too, so I don't use the phone as much for other things.

It does everything I want. Unless it dies, I won't be replacing it any time soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Chances are that I'll move from my One to the G3 when it shows up.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

thezeke

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Love my DNA.. Have the ONE TOO.. I switch back and forth from time to time when I get bored.. However, I find that I use my DNA more and more.. Something about it, maybe it's the screen size, the build.. I don't know..

Either way, there is not really phone out right now that would make me want to leave my DNA.. In fact, I am more than likely going to Craigslist my One soon.. The One is a great phone don't get me wrong.. I just prefer the DNA..

Just my 2cents...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I like the HTC experience so I wouldn't look to upgrade until the HTC TWO comes out. If the DNA had front facing speakers and a kickstand it would be the perfect phone.

D_Norm_A

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Like some of you have said, this DNA has been, by far, the best phone I've ever owned.
I'm not a power user but I do surf the web, listen to music thru the cloud, read forums like this one and it has ALWAYS delivered like nothing else I've had. My phone calls are always clear and it never drops. It's has ALWAYS been solid from day one!
I'm waiting for 4.4 KK but it's not a big deal for me. To have a phone that is always dependable, that's it for me.
With that said, I would be interested in the One+ when it's released. But I would also just be happy rooting this beautiful piece of electronics!!

Sent from my DNA...

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I admit, i was Worried about getting this phone, i have always HATED HTC SENSE in the past... But it was FREE so i decided to try my luck....

Then, A few days after getting the phone... It downloaded the 2 part update to 4.2.2 with Sense 5.0... I LOVE THIS PHONE! I see myself keeping this phone for the Entire 2 year contract and if Sense 5.0 got better, i can only imagine Kit Kat 4.4 w/ Sense 5.5....

The Only Downfall is the LACK of Accessories.... However, If you go into a Verizon Wireless Store, i have found they have a 3rd party WEBSITE they can order from through there computers, and i can still use the 25% off Discount i get on accessories through my work....

Its Perfect, FAST and not having an SD CARD SLOT does not bother me... Most of the places i listen to music i am near wifi... So i simply Uploaded all of my music using GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC, and i stream it.... Leaving plenty of room on my phone for apps, Pics, Videos and some local music....

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Really like my DNA. Right now if the rumored HTC One+ turns out to have a better camera than the DNA I may jump ship a month or so after it's released.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I feel like the market has slowed down quite a bit relative to years past. We've reached the point of adding a core or two, upping the processor speed, incrementally increasing some other spec, yet none of it translates to a noticeably better experience. My DNA runs just as well and just as smoothly as pretty much any other phone on the market right now. Definitely no need for an upgrade until something could truly make me say "Wow."

Posted via Android Central App

Pretty much this, and as hoosiermama said, "Unless it dies, I won't be replacing it any time soon."

However, when I do eventually get a new phone, I wouldn't mind 3 GB of RAM, a better low light camera, front facing speakers, and the exact same screen. However, I will have to buy it off contract, like my DNA, because I'm not giving up Unlimited Data.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Another vote for waiting. I plan to upgrade when my current phone (a Nexus 4) breaks or is no longer capable of doing what I need (want :p ) my phone to do. It's probably not going to happen this year.

However, all bets are off it I win the lottery. :D

evergreen778

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

My 2cts, I absolutely enjoy carrying my DNA. It's not only phone it's my tablet. Read books, screen size is perfect tv & youtube when on the road. Got mine when they first came out. The latest update runs smoothly. Most of my family and friends have Samsung and iPhones. They always tease me but I have the laugh on them. They always have problems, not me. Lol

Eta no upgrade for me for at least another year.

Ciao

Last edited:

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Well nothing was announced at CES 2014 that makes me want to give up my DNA. Up next MWC in February.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I have had a DNA since July that I bought off craigslist and I loved the phone. The only problem for me was the battery life. I was a heavy user and struggled to make it long on one charge. I took advantage of one of the Moto X promos for $350. I think I am going to stick with the Moto X because of the battery, customization and features it has. I have an upgrade available in March but I will probably wait til at least August to see what Motorola comes out with next. I can't wait to see what HTC also has in store for there new One that will come out.

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to get jealous of some phones that can run two apps on the same screen. I could use that feature and wonder if a update could give us that feature? Otherwise I am happy with my DNA and my wife is moving to Android from iPhone in April but does not know it yet. So I am looking for her maybe a LG Flex if available. I think they can run two apps at once on the same screen.

evergreen778

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to get jealous of some phones that can run two apps on the same screen. I could use that feature and wonder if a update could give us that feature? Otherwise I am happy with my DNA and my wife is moving to Android from iPhone in April but does not know it yet. So I am looking for her maybe a LG Flex if available. I think they can run two apps at once on the same screen.

Great the way you worded wife changing from iPhone but don't know it yet. Lol. :D dear I have a surprise for you. :p

Ciao

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Im waiting for now. Im watching for the next HTC phone as Im a huge fan of their phones. So pending what they release next, I will go from there. Im hoping for a 5 inch version of the One worst case scenario. I woulda loved to have a Butterfly S honestly, but that never came to the U.S.

KsilverFlagger

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure what it would take for me to abandon my DNA. I love this device, I sold my Gagaxy S3 in order to buy another DNA.
At this time there is only one device that is even on my radar, and that is the BlackBerry Q10, however I have a sneaking suspision that my desire is entirely driven by nostalgia, not by the belief that the Q10 is a superior device.
There are so many things that I love about this phone, my only issue with the DNA is the lack of expandable memory. My needs change depending on the time of year, for six months I am going non stop and my phone needs to keep up, my DNA does and you can't put a price tag on that. For the other six months, we both get a bit of a break.
So until it's broke, I ain't gonna fix it

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

The DNA was/is my first Android phone. I upgraded from an iPhone 4 on AT&T. My upgrade won't be due until November 2014 although I don't know if I will make it that long. The DNA has been fine, although I wish HTC was a little more up to date with it, my problem is Verizon. I will probably move to a Nexus phone on T-Mobile before the end of the year.

Ignoring issues with Verizon, I don't see myself ever buying a non-Nexus Android phone again. Sense isn't bad but it seems like the only company you can trust for timely updates is Google.

-kpluck

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

I will probably move to a Nexus phone on T-Mobile before the end of the year.

I actually looked into T-Mobile with their new offer, and was tempted by the N5. We have four phones on our plan with Verizon and the monthly bill is awful. I'd save a bundle with T-Mobile, but the coverage is too sparse in my area. I'd only get 2G in the town that I live in and the surrounding area.

Ultimately, I'm staying with Verizon and my DNA.