New to Droid DNA - Sense 5 - A few questions

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ran a few search queries but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just picked up a lightly used DNA yesterday and immediately updated to the 4.2.2 and Sense 5. Here are some questions:

• Is there a quick wake-up feature like LG's knock on. I have the phone in an otterbox and the power button is a PITA to press
  • I use outlook.com for calendar, contacts, mail. All is well except the calendar. I cannot find a way to sync mutliple calendars under the same microsfot login? Is there a way or am I screwed?
  • Can I modify quick settings?
  • Is there something like BB10's bedsode mode or motorola's assist for sleep? Where after the alarm is set notifications and calls are muted
  • Is there a way to gain quick access to alarms and flashlight? This was a often used feature on my bb z10

I think that's it for now. Any help is appreciated. Just for history I am a long time Android user with some other OS's mixed in. Since March I have had RAZR M>Lumia 822>Galaxy S3>HTC 8X> BBZ10 now the DNA. The often maligned bb10 running z10 was by far my favorite and I kept it the longest. So the ease of use is something I want to try to mimic with this powerhouse of a phone DNA. I had been a fan of the sense skin from using a htc one s when I was with TMO and after I read about the sense 5 update on the DNA I decided to try it out.

Thanks again,
Nick

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
First of all, welcome to the DNA and to the DNA forums.

1. No, there is no feature in Sense like LG's knock on. You may be able to find an app, but you may need root to mimic the functionality.
2. Not sure about Outlook calendars. I only use exchange for my work account. Everything else is on a google calendar.
3. No, you can't modify the quick settiong without root.
4. I don't believe there is a bedside mode, I have not found one. You may beable to accomplish this with an app.
5. If you search for the official HTC flashlight app, you can install that and put it on your homescreen. I have mine in the dock so I can use it from the lockscreen. You mat be able to access the alarms from a clock widget. I'm not sure as I use an old fashoned alarmclock.[/COLOR]

Ran a few search queries but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just picked up a lightly used DNA yesterday and immediately updated to the 4.2.2 and Sense 5. Here are some questions:

• Is there a quick wake-up feature like LG's knock on. I have the phone in an otterbox and the power button is a PITA to press
  • I use outlook.com for calendar, contacts, mail. All is well except the calendar. I cannot find a way to sync mutliple calendars under the same microsfot login? Is there a way or am I screwed?
  • Is there something like BB10's bedsode mode or motorola's assist for sleep? Where after the alarm is set notifications and calls are muted
  • Is there a way to gain quick access to alarms and flashlight? This was a often used feature on my bb z10

I think that's it for now. Any help is appreciated. Just for history I am a long time Android user with some other OS's mixed in. Since March I have had RAZR M>Lumia 822>Galaxy S3>HTC 8X> BBZ10 now the DNA. The often maligned bb10 running z10 was by far my favorite and I kept it the longest. So the ease of use is something I want to try to mimic with this powerhouse of a phone DNA. I had been a fan of the sense skin from using a htc one s when I was with TMO and after I read about the sense 5 update on the DNA I decided to try it out.

Thanks again,
Nick

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks again,
Nick

1. I don't think so. Right now, as far as I know, that is an LG only thing.
2. There is an Outlook app. I don't know how well it works, as I don't use my MS accounts much.
3. And stay stock? No. Xposed Framework would help with that, but not too much.
4. Tasker or Automateit. I use Automate it, and there is a feature like Do Not Disturb.
5. Unsure. You may be able to have lockscreen shortcuts, but I am not sure if the DNA is able or configured to do that.

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the responses. DL'ed the flashlight app and automatit app. These seem like they will help. Still learning the new skin and my way around. The calendar issue really stinks. I have one for monthly expenses that just gives me a daily agenda update and would like that calendar to sync as well as my main event calendar

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the responses. DL'ed the flashlight app and automatit app. These seem like they will help. Still learning the new skin and my way around. The calendar issue really stinks. I have one for monthly expenses that just gives me a daily agenda update and would like that calendar to sync as well as my main event calendar

I use aCalendar to view events and Google to enter them.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I use google calendar. I like it because you can use it on any web browser and the app. You can also share your calendar with others, so, if you have a significant other, you can keep your appointments synced. You can also add to your calendar things like holidays, soprts teams, etc right form the web interface.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the STOCK Clock widget on my home screen.. Just tap the time and it goes to ALARM CLOCK.... Same in Sense 5.5 When you get the update

The Flashlight APP i use it Super-Bright LED Flashlight, just search Flashlight in the Play Store.. first to come up 4.5 Stars.... FAST To open and easy to use

Hanko

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
In response to your first issue with the power button: "You'll get used to it". I've had my Otter on for a year and it doesn't get easier, liked getting "worked-in", but you will get used to it.

Enjoy!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks again,
Nick

Check out "Silent Time" https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.QuiteHypnotic.SilentTime&token=K_DlMkf3 from the Play Store. You can schedule times for your phone to go into silent mode but still receive calls from whoever you designate. For instance, my phone goes silent every night from 11:00 pm to 6:45 am, but if my parents call, it will ring through.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Silent Time, too. I like that I can block everything except family at night.

For quick access to apps, I use Notification Bar Deluxe. I have short cuts in that for the camera, alarm clock and a flashlight, so it's just a quick pull down to launch it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok so the stock sense clock to access the alarm was a total brain fart. Haha. Still have to figure out the outlook.com calendar thing though. Weird that my z10 picked up the secondary calendar and this DNA won't

Posted via Android Central App

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Battery life for me has actually not been bad. Better than my z10.

Has anyone had any luck with the sub calendars in exchange?

edgesalon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
For your calendar you can use business calendar app, it works great you can sync more than one they have a free one you can try first. Good luck

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've found the battery isn't so bad, but if you have the screen set to high or auto it will drain.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app