Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mightyfacundo
  • 1 Post By hoosiermama2799
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to Droid DNA - Sense 5 - A few questions

Ran a few search queries but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just picked up a lightly used DNA yesterday and immediately updated to the 4.2.2 and Sense 5. Here are some questions:

• Is there a quick wake-up feature like LG's knock on. I have the phone in an otterbox and the power button is a PITA to press
    • I use outlook.com for calendar, contacts, mail. All is well except the calendar. I cannot find a way to sync mutliple calendars under the same microsfot login? Is there a way or am I screwed?
    • Can I modify quick settings?
    • Is there something like BB10's bedsode mode or motorola's assist for sleep? Where after the alarm is set notifications and calls are muted
    • Is there a way to gain quick access to alarms and flashlight? This was a often used feature on my bb z10

I think that's it for now. Any help is appreciated. Just for history I am a long time Android user with some other OS's mixed in. Since March I have had RAZR M>Lumia 822>Galaxy S3>HTC 8X> BBZ10 now the DNA. The often maligned bb10 running z10 was by far my favorite and I kept it the longest. So the ease of use is something I want to try to mimic with this powerhouse of a phone DNA. I had been a fan of the sense skin from using a htc one s when I was with TMO and after I read about the sense 5 update on the DNA I decided to try it out.

Thanks again,
    Nick

Default Re: New to Droid DNA - Sense 5 - A few questions

First of all, welcome to the DNA and to the DNA forums.

1. No, there is no feature in Sense like LG's knock on. You may be able to find an app, but you may need root to mimic the functionality.
    2. Not sure about Outlook calendars. I only use exchange for my work account. Everything else is on a google calendar.
    3. No, you can't modify the quick settiong without root.
    4. I don't believe there is a bedside mode, I have not found one. You may beable to accomplish this with an app.
    5. If you search for the official HTC flashlight app, you can install that and put it on your homescreen. I have mine in the dock so I can use it from the lockscreen. You mat be able to access the alarms from a clock widget. I'm not sure as I use an old fashoned alarmclock.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by NickNick43 View Post
    Ran a few search queries but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just picked up a lightly used DNA yesterday and immediately updated to the 4.2.2 and Sense 5. Here are some questions:

• Is there a quick wake-up feature like LG's knock on. I have the phone in an otterbox and the power button is a PITA to press
    • I use outlook.com for calendar, contacts, mail. All is well except the calendar. I cannot find a way to sync mutliple calendars under the same microsfot login? Is there a way or am I screwed?
    • Is there something like BB10's bedsode mode or motorola's assist for sleep? Where after the alarm is set notifications and calls are muted
    • Is there a way to gain quick access to alarms and flashlight? This was a often used feature on my bb z10

I think that's it for now. Any help is appreciated. Just for history I am a long time Android user with some other OS's mixed in. Since March I have had RAZR M>Lumia 822>Galaxy S3>HTC 8X> BBZ10 now the DNA. The often maligned bb10 running z10 was by far my favorite and I kept it the longest. So the ease of use is something I want to try to mimic with this powerhouse of a phone DNA. I had been a fan of the sense skin from using a htc one s when I was with TMO and after I read about the sense 5 update on the DNA I decided to try it out.

Thanks again,
    Nick

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks again,
    Nick
    1. I don't think so. Right now, as far as I know, that is an LG only thing.
    2. There is an Outlook app. I don't know how well it works, as I don't use my MS accounts much.
    3. And stay stock? No. Xposed Framework would help with that, but not too much.
    4. Tasker or Automateit. I use Automate it, and there is a feature like Do Not Disturb.
    5. Unsure. You may be able to have lockscreen shortcuts, but I am not sure if the DNA is able or configured to do that.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

As to the flashlight app, I believe I found it in the following thread:

Htc flashlight for htc one

There is a post with a dropbox link. Download that one, make sure that under Settings>Security that you have Unknown Sources checked and you can install it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you both for the responses. DL'ed the flashlight app and automatit app. These seem like they will help. Still learning the new skin and my way around. The calendar issue really stinks. I have one for monthly expenses that just gives me a daily agenda update and would like that calendar to sync as well as my main event calendar

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thank you both for the responses. DL'ed the flashlight app and automatit app. These seem like they will help. Still learning the new skin and my way around. The calendar issue really stinks. I have one for monthly expenses that just gives me a daily agenda update and would like that calendar to sync as well as my main event calendar
    I use aCalendar to view events and Google to enter them.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

No problem. I use google calendar. I like it because you can use it on any web browser and the app. You can also share your calendar with others, so, if you have a significant other, you can keep your appointments synced. You can also add to your calendar things like holidays, soprts teams, etc right form the web interface.

I have the STOCK Clock widget on my home screen.. Just tap the time and it goes to ALARM CLOCK.... Same in Sense 5.5 When you get the update

The Flashlight APP i use it Super-Bright LED Flashlight, just search Flashlight in the Play Store.. first to come up 4.5 Stars.... FAST To open and easy to use

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

In response to your first issue with the power button: "You'll get used to it". I've had my Otter on for a year and it doesn't get easier, liked getting "worked-in", but you will get used to it.

Enjoy!

Thanks again,
    Nick
    Check out "Silent Time" from the Play Store. You can schedule times for your phone to go into silent mode but still receive calls from whoever you designate. For instance, my phone goes silent every night from 11:00 pm to 6:45 am, but if my parents call, it will ring through.
    sierrajinx9 likes this.

I use Silent Time, too. I like that I can block everything except family at night.

For quick access to apps, I use Notification Bar Deluxe. I have short cuts in that for the camera, alarm clock and a flashlight, so it's just a quick pull down to launch it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    sierrajinx9 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Ok so the stock sense clock to access the alarm was a total brain fart. Haha. Still have to figure out the outlook.com calendar thing though. Weird that my z10 picked up the secondary calendar and this DNA won't

Posted via Android Central App

Oops! Posted in the wrong spot. Sorry about that. But any suggestions on how to make the battery life not suck would be awesome.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Battery life for me has actually not been bad. Better than my z10.

Has anyone had any luck with the sub calendars in exchange?

For your calendar you can use business calendar app, it works great you can sync more than one they have a free one you can try first. Good luck

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I've found the battery isn't so bad, but if you have the screen set to high or auto it will drain.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app