Droid DNA: 4.4 Update Delayed to END of First quarter at earliest

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid DNA 4.4 Update Delayed to END of First quarter at earliest

Honestly, as much as I want KitKat, I'm fine where I'm at. The latest update has improved my DNA's responsiveness and has increased battery life significantly. I can wait for the update (if it ever does show up).

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

As long as SENSE 5.5 is moving further in the direction its going and doesn't fall back... :p When i first got my DNA, i forgot it was HTC and was dreading having to have SENSE, and 2 days later 5.0 came out and i fell in love again

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, Im not overly worried about 4.4. I got 4.2 and Sense 5. That was the more major step in versions. 4.4 and Sense 5.5 are nothing more than more tweaks to an already great OS. If it shows up soon, great, if not, I will continue to enjoy what I have, and thats a great phone.

Cyates1017

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

I'd like to see it sooner rather than later. But if it's not gonna change much I guess it doesn't matter. If it bumps up the battery life I'd be real happy though. Not getting much out of a charge right now.

Posted via Android Central App

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I'd welcome it since the last update added lag to my stock messenger app. Plus with 4.4 Wallet doesn't need the secure element so VZW shouldn't be able to block tap to pay anymore.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

I'd welcome it since the last update added lag to my stock messenger app. Plus with 4.4 Wallet doesn't need the secure element so VZW shouldn't be able to block tap to pay anymore.

Well if thats the main issue you have, use a 3rd party app. First thing I replace on every phone I get is my messenger app. Stockers have always been awful all around. The lack of customization really bothers me.

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Well if thats the main issue you have, use a 3rd party app. First thing I replace on every phone I get is my messenger app. Stockers have always been awful all around. The lack of customization really bothers me.

Recommendations? and why those?

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Recommendations? and why those?

For me personally, I use Handcent, I have also tried Go SMS but wasnt a huge fan of its customization. Handcent more or less does what the stock app does, but pretty much every aspect of it can be changed to your liking from colors to what the messages look like, background of message lists etc... Worth a try if stock one is giving you issues. Both the ones I mentioned work roughly the same, just prefer Handcent's customization more.

I know some people use Hangouts to kinda combine their texts and messaging via google+ and such but I liked having those separate.

Just give them a try, see if you like any of them and see if they work out for you. Some others could have some suggestions also that I havent used, but Im just going by what Ive tried/use.

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the ideas. I tried Talk but MMS would always fail so I gave up on that. I'll give the others a try

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I am pretty surprised, to be honest I was not expecting to get 4.4. I am very happy with 4.2 and sense 5 now so really this is just like a bonus to me.

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

I was a bit shocked to see the DNA move from "Integration" to "certification" yesterday as well. I'd only looked at the chart as news yesterday indicated that the carrier versions of the One moved to "certification". I have a One on AT&T so I've been keeping up with the 4.4 news for the One, knowing that the DNA was in that mix too.

I guess unlike a lot of folks on this thread I am really looking forward to 4.4 on the DNA (and the One). My DNA is a bit beat up, bought used after selling my new one after a few months, but I am glad to have gotten another one after it was updated to 4.2.2 with Sense 5.

If the DNA really is in "certification" that could mean 4.4 is coming a lot sooner then end of March (end of Q1)

I've never liked being behind on OS updates. (My main phone is an iPhone 5S).

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Don't get your hopes up, folks. The DNA was listed as being in "certification" for the past week or so, but has been downgraded back to "integration". Good thing HTC is following their cute infographic so well. Nowhere does it show the possibility of going backwards to "integration".

Source.

Android 4.4 KitKat? Update Status for other HTC Smartphones

Verizon Droid DNA by HTC - Integration
Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 601 - Integration

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Don't get your hopes up, folks. The DNA was listed as being in "certification" for the past week or so, but has been downgraded back to "integration". Good thing HTC is following their cute infographic so well. Nowhere does it show the possibility of going backwards to "integration". Pathetic.

Source.

Don't be such a pessimist! After all, didn't they follow through with the ICS update for our Thunderbolts........ after about a year? :p

I'm with you. I'll be happy if/when we get it, but I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it. By the way, I thought I read that the One also went back to integration, so at least the DNA isn't alone!

Last edited:

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Don't get your hopes up, folks. The DNA was listed as being in "certification" for the past week or so, but has been downgraded back to "integration". Good thing HTC is following their cute infographic so well. Nowhere does it show the possibility of going backwards to "integration".

This is just those few people who THINK they know more about cell phones and Building out Updates then the people who's job it is to make it work correctly and implement it...
Oh Well, It will come soon enough

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Source.

If it failed an integration test they have to send it back for a fix. The alternative is to have a phone with a potential killer bug. I think I would rather wait.

And all customer facing schedules show the "happy" path. There is always a possibility of going backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech