Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 3 Post By mightyfacundo
  • 1 Post By hoosiermama2799
  • 1 Post By Dirtman16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    CleanRom 1.5 OE2

Default How can I turn off certain notifications at night

I have the HTC Droid DNA with sense 5.0 and android 4.2.2. I want to know if there is a way to turn off certain notifications at night(i.e. Facebook & Gmail)? I have searched forum after forum with no avail. The worse part is that HTC has even combined notifications and ringtones into one category. I want my phone to ring at night and I would like to receive text messages but all other apps I'd like off. I don't want to have to turn them off individually. I have tried turning off Sync at night but I still get Facebook notifications. Is there any solution to this particular problem? Also, out of curiosity, is this an android thing or just HTC? I am pretty tech savvy, but for a long time I was using Cyanogenmod and Slimbean. I am not trying to use my phone without a custom rom so it's frustrating it lacks features that other roms bring to the table. Any help would be apprieciated

Default Re: How can I turn off certain notifications at night

I don't think that's possible. You can do that on iOS, but since this is an Android forum, I'm not going to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by judgenot View Post
    No offense, but I highly doubt millions of people use a phone that has notifications that go off in the middle of the night. Why you bothered to answer other than to possibly advertise your pathetic ios on an ANDROID forum is beyond my comprehension. In all honesty I think you should be kicked for giving such an answer which doesn't give an answer except "I don't think it's possible." You are a rude crass person for posting to my thread.
    This might seem very obvious but why don't you put your phone on silent at night.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And for calls and texts you don't need your mobile data or wifi to be on so you will still get calls and texts but no notifications from Facebook etc..

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Carrier
    CleanRom 1.5 OE2

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    This might seem very obvious but why don't you put your phone on silent at night.....

Well the answer is also very simple. As I stated above I still want to receive my phone calls and texts so if I put it on silent how will that accomplish my goal? I won't hear my phone at all lol
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Carrier
    CleanRom 1.5 OE2

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    And for calls and texts you don't need your mobile data or wifi to be on so you will still get calls and texts but no notifications from Facebook etc..

It would seem a bit tedious to have to turn off data and wifi every night in order to not receive notifications from facebook etc.....Also, many phones such as the Samsung galaxy line have these features I was simply wondering if HTC had something similar, if not I will go back to Samsung. Thank you though for your response, I just don't think you should have to turn off data and wifi every night, there must be a better way.

Global Posts
    11,776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Silly bickering, insults, and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

I suggest that those involved take the opportunity to review the forum rules. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then report it.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Download an app called Silent Time from the Play Store. You can choose who to receive calls and texts from but it will silence everything else. You just add the phone numbers to a list inside the app. Works great.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I use Silent Time, too. You can add exceptions, which will come through regardless. I have my kids set as exceptions, so that if there's an emergency, they can reach us. It works great!
    judgenot likes this.

You could also just turn off auto-sync instead of killing the data connection. This will keep you from getting notifications, but if you have podcast, etc. auto-download at night, those would likely still work.

I use Tasker to do this automatically, but it takes a little tinkering. As others have said, there are apps that will do it for you. They may just not be as customizable.
    judgenot likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Carrier
    CleanRom 1.5 OE2

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    Download an app called Silent Time from the Play Store. You can choose who to receive calls and texts from but it will silence everything else. You just add the phone numbers to a list inside the app. Works great.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks Mightyfaucundo!! That app does exactly what I was looking for, I knew there must be a solution
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Carrier
    CleanRom 1.5 OE2

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman16 View Post
    You could also just turn off auto-sync instead of killing the data connection. This will keep you from getting notifications, but if you have podcast, etc. auto-download at night, those would likely still work.

I use Tasker to do this automatically, but it takes a little tinkering. As others have said, there are apps that will do it for you. They may just not be as customizable.
    Thanks also Dirtman16! I actually do use tasker as well for many things. I did try your suggestion awhile back but one night facebook somehow got through. It could've been that sync wasn't off that night but honestly i just silenced it and went back to bed lol

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Auto sync still grabs fb notifications

Its called Blocking Mode on my Galaxy Note edge. When will Ios users come out of The Cave? and realize most features have been on androis phones for years before IOsnot

Have you tried Do Not Disturb? I work at night so when I'm sleeping during the day I only get calls on my exception list.

Access Do Not Disturb from: Settings>Sound> Do Not Disturb

Add the contacts you want as exceptions and turn it on.