Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default DNA 4.4 update Google Voice problem.

I installed the update to KitKat today and all seemed fine. The usual resetting of some things but nothing that was a problem except when trying to use Google Now voice commands to send a text message. It will only offer to send with Messages. I cleared the default actions for both Messages and Voice but when I go to send a new text with Now I do not even get the window to pick what app to use and the Just once or Always button.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: DNA 4.4 update Google Voice problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason DeVita View Post
    I installed the update to KitKat today and all seemed fine. The usual resetting of some things but nothing that was a problem except when trying to use Google Now voice commands to send a text message. It will only offer to send with Messages. I cleared the default actions for both Messages and Voice but when I go to send a new text with Now I do not even get the window to pick what app to use and the Just once or Always button.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?
    Maybe try this. Go to settings>more>default sms app. I use stock messaging, but it has the option for hangouts there, so it might give you another option.
    "He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

My brother has the HTC One and complained about that same issue when he received the 4.4 update and as far as I know he hasn't found a fix for that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D_PhD View Post
    Maybe try this. Go to settings>more>default sms app. I use stock messaging, but it has the option for hangouts there, so it might give you another option.

That doesn't have Voice as an option. Only Hangouts and Messages. Thanks for the suggestion. The tough thing is I turned off sms through Verizon and only use Google Voice. Very inconvenient

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

That doesn't have Voice as an option. Only Hangouts and Messages. Thanks for the suggestion. The tough thing is I turned off sms through Verizon and only use Google Voice. Very inconvenient
    Its actually an issue that you will not be able to fix as google is looking to phase out google voice for texting and change it to where it is only through the hangouts app. The new hangouts update has some stuff hidden in it suggesting that google voice will merge with hangouts in a near future update.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    Its actually an issue that you will not be able to fix as google is looking to phase out google voice for texting and change it to where it is only through the hangouts app. The new hangouts update has some stuff hidden in it suggesting that google voice will merge with hangouts in a near future update.
    I see. Thanks for that info. Would have been nice of them to give a new solution before taking one away.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

I see. Thanks for that info. Would have been nice of them to give a new solution before taking one away.
    Yea when you look at it Hangouts is getting alot more functionality while google voice really hasnt seen updates for a long time. I use google voice just for the voicemail option as I like the visual voice mail so I hope that will transfer over as well too.