Post 4.4.2 update GPS performance

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Anybody seeing wacky results? Yesterday I walked for about 45 minutes. Runkeeper said I traveled for 4.35 miles (nope, not quite that far), averaging roughly 10 minute miles (I WALKED, I did not run) at about 5.6 mph. Um, no. I didn't have a skateboard.

I've walked the same route countless times and Runkeeper is usually pretty consistent. Very bizarre.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't understand. Based on the numbers you gave 5.6/60=.09333 .09333*45=4.2 and you say Runkeeper logged you at 4.35 miles traveled? That is a difference of roughly 700 ft. If you had walked at 5.8 mph at exactly 45 min that would be exactly 4.35 miles or if you walked 5.6 mph for 47 min that puts you at 4.38 miles traveled. What does it usually say?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't understand. Based on the numbers you gave 5.6/60=.09333 .09333*45=4.2 and you say Runkeeper logged you at 4.35 miles traveled? That is a difference of roughly 700 ft. If you had walked at 5.8 mph at exactly 45 min that would be exactly 4.35 miles or if you walked 5.6 mph for 47 min that puts you at 4.38 miles traveled. What does it usually say?

Dear Mr. Mordhorst,

I am AMAZED that my old math teacher is an Android user! And with my same phone no less! :)

The point I was trying to make above was that the GPS mis-measured my time and distance. The distance traveled was probably only about 2.5 miles. Certainly less than 3. You'll have to pardon if the math doesn't work out, as I'm quoting numbers from memory. They're probably off by a little. The point remains that the GPS's meaurement was way off. Most people don't walk for a continuous period at 5.5+ mph.

Try this link to the activity, as supplied by Runkeeper. I don't know how much you'll be able to see though.

I just completed an activity with RunKeeper http://runkeeper.com/activity?userId=4393622&trip=344032350

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My point is you didn't say what was wrong or how it was wrong or which part of the information was accurate or inaccurate. And while most people may not walk at 5.5 + miles an hour you said "I've walked the same route countless times...", without other information one might infer that you are a regular walker at which point one may also infer that you are proficient at walking and conclude that a proficient walker is perhaps capable of achieving a near 10 min mile. I included the numbers not to teach but to draw more information since the given data supports the final number of 4.35 miles traveled with no comparison to the distance the was actually covered.

Sorry if I don't have your device, but I do have a device with 4.4 and a GPS and issues/bugs do sometimes cross devices with OS updates. Now that you've included how the information is incorrect I will say that, and again I don't say this to teach just as information to be considered, GPS units are finicky and GPS readings can be affected by tree cover, tall buildings, and overcast skies. If the trees in your area have started to leaf or the weather there is, as it has been here the last couple of days, overcast and rainy external influences may be the cause of the inaccuracies. Have you used the app prior to this walk but after receiving the update? Was it accurate then or has this been an issue since the update?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else see strange GPS behavior after the 4.4.2 update to their DROID DNA by HTC that the forum has been buzzing about for a week or so?

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else see strange GPS behavior after the 4.4.2 update to their DROID DNA by HTC that the forum has been buzzing about for a week or so?

I use Dash to track my driving habits, etc. It maps my trips and has been good since the update except for one short trip to the local mini mart where it mapped me as the crow flies. Google Maps and GPS Test worked fine on a trip to the coast last week.
FWIW YMMV

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae