Lots of data being used on my Verizon Droid DNA

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all i noticed mine and my wifes dna are using twice as much data this month then we ever have. nothing in our routine has changed and i looked into the phone as to what programs are using the most and it says pandora but only minimal. (we are always on wi-fi) i also noticed my wifes phone is using most of her data while she is at work and doesnt use her phone. could something be running in the background?

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lots of data being used

There is an app called onava, its free and will tell you which apps are being the data hogs, it may help

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

ill give that a try thank you. is there a way to stop background data from apps?

go into settings, data usage, then on the mobile screen scroll down find then app... click on it, and then check the box for restrict background data

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I tried that but it sasys i have to click on restrict data. so i tried that and I'm not sure how to set that (haha). i was paying close attention yesterday and noticed @ two oclock my Verizon app said my wife and i used 1.28 gb of data. now my wife was at work and she does not use her phone as she is very busy so she leaves it in the lunch room i was at home all day connected to my wi-fi. by 5 the app now said i was at 1.41 gb how can that be?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use the data usage in the settings to see which app used data during that time.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

in the data usage, you can check "limit mobile data usage" which will then let you restrict it.... you can set your data usage limits, if you have 2 GB then set your limit to 2 gb then you can limit the individual apps.... but what apps are listed there saying they are using data, you havent answered that question yet. take a screenshot of that screen and post it here

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Both my wife and my phones say pandora using the most and background 31.44 mb foreground data and 91.69 mb background for my phone. Now that is not that much and my wife only uses pandora about 40 minutes a week. Now i had these two apps installed that didnt even come up in the data usage screen the i had installed a week and a half ago. That is the only new thing so i uninstalled them and my phone seems to be using less. As for my wife it says she is using twice as much as me which is impossible being she is at work all day and only uses her phone for txt. According to the verizon app i was at 29% usage this morning and she was at 39% 1.5 gb total, now it says im at 30% and she is at 49% that is crazy she was doing surgery all morning. So i got her to log onto her offices wifi while on lunch so we will see what happens i never even needed to log onto anyone's wifi outside of my house because i never came close to my limit. AS FOR A SCREEN SHOT HOW DO I DO THAT?

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
2014-06-01_06-35-46.jpgScreenshot952014-05-31-21-14-48.jpgOk here are the screen shots. as you can see my wife phone is using a ton of data under the android system. i looked up last months usage and we used 1.1 gb together ans used something like 78% so something happened between then and last week.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Something is amiss. Perhaps a factory data reset? Not really sure what else to suggest

Sent from my Verizon Moto G

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw on another forum that there are some phones that have issues with Google Backup. They disabled the backup and had no more issues. To keep thinking on those lines, you may have a sync that is either stuck, or there is a sync error and it keep trying.

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I JUST DID A FACTORY RESET. and so far so good it didnt want to finish i thought i might have bricked the phone but i got it done had to try it multipal times and tried it through the system itself but i got it ill keep you posted thanks for all the help

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Let us know if the problem comes back!

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol