How do I retrieve video off of my Dead DNA?

dgabe24

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Dead DNA - Please help!

Hi everyone,

First time post and I apologize for the extreme newbie question / dead horse thread. I was installing an update on my HTC DNA and the battery ran out. I'm assuming this bricked it, but I'm not entirely sure this was the real problem. It doesn't charge, light up, nothing. Power + volume, etc. etc. charge for 20 hours, nothing helps.

The worst part is that it had a video I recorded of me proposing to my fiance. All I want is the data recovered, and the phone can burn for all I care.

I sent it to mobiletechvideos and they said they couldn't retrieve the data off the chip. Does anyone know of another service or option I may have? Phone is completely dead at the moment. I'm not sure if I should have them send it back to me unfixed, or just fix the phone and send me the chip separately.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello, welcome to Android Central! I'd see if they can take the storage chip out. It could be that the data is corrupted, and trying to take it out is futile, but it still may be recoverable.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

dgabe24

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dead DNA - Please help!

Ok, so I can have them remove the chip and send it back. What would my next few options be? I don't even care about the phone to be honest, all I want is the data (videos/photos) off of it.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I can have them remove the chip and send it back. What would my next few options be? I don't even care about the phone to be honest, all I want is the data (videos/photos) off of it.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
To be honest, maybe they should just send the phone back, chip not removed, and see if another repair shop can try and retrieve the data. The removal might damage it even further.

dgabe24

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

To be honest, maybe they should just send the phone back, chip not removed, and see if another repair shop can try and retrieve the data. The removal might damage it even further.

They said they need to replace the whole "logic chip" and it will be $150. The chip itself is corrupt somehow?

Any ideas where I can go from here? I told them they can keep the phone if they just get me the data off the chip, and I am waiting for them to call me back.

They said they are working on a way to go into individual partitions but theyre not able to yet. So if the chip is corrupt they cant get the files off of it.

I'm referring to MobileTechVideos by the way, not sure if you're familiar. I am open to suggestions of other repair services!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

They said they need to replace the whole "logic chip" and it will be $150. The chip itself is corrupt somehow?

Any ideas where I can go from here? I told them they can keep the phone if they just get me the data off the chip, and I am waiting for them to call me back.

They said they are working on a way to go into individual partitions but theyre not able to yet. So if the chip is corrupt they cant get the files off of it.

I'm referring to MobileTechVideos by the way, not sure if you're familiar. I am open to suggestions of other repair services!

Yes, if it is corrupt, then there is nothing you can do. I would wait to see what they have to say.