Rapid Battery Drain - Help!

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

So my DNA has all of a sudden started draining really fast. By fast I mean going from 100% when I pull it off the charger to 80% by the time I get to work an hour later. Without using my phone for anything. It is also running warmer than usual, averaging around 101 degrees. It even drains when plugged in to my computer at work. I know the USB port doesn't charge quickly because its under-powered compared to an outlet but it used to still at least charge, albeit slowly. Anyways, I have GSAM on my phone and it says System (Mediaserver) @ 27.6% and Kernel (android OS) @ 24.2% are my two biggest consumers of battery. Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sparkyvett

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The exact same thing is happening to my phone. I've tried everything to stop it. Something must have updated to cause this drain. I thought I was crazy watching my phone drain even while also plugged into my computer at work. I hope it gets corrected soon.:'(

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me now too, I went from 80% to dead in a handful of hours this week. I was looking into a new battery and started wondering if something updated wrong?

thecabinboy

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Same symptoms here also. Phone has been draining fast, feels warm and twice it has shown 90% battery level then suddenly shuts down and after rebooting it will show the battery at 55%.

rantain

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Same thing on my DNA and my wife's phone. It went from 100% to 80% in less than an hour this morning. 3 hours later, I turned it off at 50% and it came back at 30%. What the H.... is going on? It just started happening this week. Anybody has any ideas?

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess its somewhat comforting knowing I am not the only one haha. It sucks I have no idea what the problem is. Thankfully I have a work iphone 6 (makes me miss my DNA and android in general) I can use as my personal until January when its time to re-up. I suggest everyone start doing their research and figuring out which phone they want next. If anyone comes across a fix, please let us know!

rantain

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, it looks like the problem is with Google Location Services. I turned it off and the battery is lasting longer. I will need to do more testing and will report back.

rantain

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think I fixed the issue. I disabled Goole Location services and noticed a big improvement. So I started troubleshooting with Google Maps.

First I cleared the data and cache for the app.
Then I noticed there was an update for Google maps, so I updated it.
Enabled Google Location services and the battery seems to be performing as before.

Posted via Android Central App

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going to do this now and report back. I have also noticed my phone is intensely warm, like it must be close to 100 degrees.

I think I fixed the issue. I disabled Goole Location services and noticed a big improvement. So I started troubleshooting with Google Maps.

First I cleared the data and cache for the app.
Then I noticed there was an update for Google maps, so I updated it.
Enabled Google Location services and the battery seems to be performing as before.

Posted via Android Central App

ahein88

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
My dna was having the same battery issues (though this was over a month ago) and htc customer service couldn't care less. I was told to buy a phone on Craigslist and send it to them to review. I finally had enough and bought a Droid Turbo. My dna got so hot that it self booted into safe mode. It hit 130 degrees. Has anyone seen that yet? As soon as that happened I decided to ditch it. Not worth setting my house on fire.

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing that too, crazy. Battery replacement or new phone time :-( . The Google maps trick didn't work.

Going to try a series of full charge and drains to reset the battery controller now

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Same problem as everyone else. Crazy battery drain. Mine will go from 100% to 82% in five minutes. The other day I pulled it out to send a email and it went from 22% to off :(

I don't think google location services has anything to do with it as I keep that off unless I'm using the McDonald's App. Even then I cut it off when I'm done.

This may be unrelated but I'm also have audio dropouts when using Bluetooth audio. In the car or with headphones the audio drops constantly.

I'm going to do a FDR this weekend and see if that clears it up.

The conspiracy theory in me would say we all got a silent update around the 2 year mark so we would have to buy another phone. I'm not due until May but I was thinking of switching to T-Mobile anyway.

thecabinboy

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Ordered a OEM replacement battery ($11.00 shipped) and plan on doing some surgery when it arrives. I will let everyone know if it fixes the rapid drain and heat issues. If it does, great then I can sell it with a clean conscious.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to hold off on doing the FDR for now. I cleared my system cache and things appear to be back to normal. The audio dropouts have stopped and more importantly my battery has stabilized. I just did this early this morning but battery life is steady.

I still may do the FDR at some point but for now i'm happy with my DNA again :thumbup:

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
How do you clear the system cache?

I copied most of this from the clear cache thread. Just corrected a few steps at the end.

1.Power the device off.
Press the Power button then select Power off.
If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up/Down then press and hold Power button. When the device screen goes blank release the Power button while continuing to hold Volume Up/Down, proceed with step 3.
2.Press and hold Volume Down then press the Power button.
3.When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons.
4.Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press the Power button.
5.From the Droid recovery screen (triangle with exclamation mark) hold the volume up button then tap the power button. From here use the volume buttons to scroll to clear cache. Select with the power button. Wait a few moments. Once it's done scroll and select restart or start, don't really remember, and the phone will boot up like normal.

Tell us how it goes.

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Well that reset the cache process did help a bit, but I got greedy and tried to replace the battery. The glued in battery is a pain in the @55 and I managed to crack one of the ribbon connectors to the cpu when replacing it.

So long DNA, you were faithful and reliable until the end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay