Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NEON technology support Skype

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...pe-for-Android

"What do I need to start video calling with Skype for Android?

To make video calls, you will need a supported phone that’s running Android 2.3 OS or above and the latest version of Skype for Android, with a front facing camera and chipset with NEON technology support."

***************************************************************************************

So the above is from the Skype support page for Android.

Does anyone know what NEON is?

I couldn't find any references on the forum and a Google search was not helpful.
    Last edited by PhiPsi32; 07-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Default Re: NEON technology support Skype

key things here are "supported phone" and in the verbage it says "..for select android phones"

I'm not certain the DInc2 is supported yet.

also, no clue what NEON is or the significance of it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Sure, I get the whole "supported phone" thing. But what the heck is NEON? I contacted Skype via email. Customer support isn't any help and when I try to get tech support they tell me Skype doesn't provide support for third party apps or hardware . . . huh? I just asked them to tell me what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post
    Sure, I get the whole "supported phone" thing. But what the heck is NEON? I contacted Skype via email. Customer support isn't any help and when I try to get tech support they tell me Skype doesn't provide support for third party apps or hardware . . . huh? I just asked them to tell me what it is?
    NEON - ARM

It's a set of instructions for CPU processes. Manufacturers can include them (all do to some extent) and it makes things easier for software to interact with the hardware. The alternative is to optimize software with many different instructions for different cpu architectures.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, much appreciated.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

[HL]Update from HTC:[/HL]

I understand you would like to know if the Incredible 2 supports NEON technology. I know how nice it is to add extra features on your device and I will certainly assist. I don't have the specific information you have requested as that would be a developer issue rather than a technical support detail. I can advise you that I know Verizon and Skype are working together to bring Skype video chat to the Thunderbolt, which has similar processing capabilities as your Incredible 2.

Netflix and Skype, dragging ***.

The Incredible 2 has the Qualcomm MSM8255 CPU, which fully supports multimedia NEON extensions.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    Netflix and Skype, dragging ***.
    Netflix from appcat works on Inc2 now and for Skype(with video) Skype 2.0 video chat crack? - xda-developers

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity 2.39

I just tried the skype with video in the link
    above and it seems to work for me!

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtous Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Netflix from appcat works on Inc2 now and for Skype(with video) Skype 2.0 video chat crack? - xda-developers
    This link takes you to an XDA page, which points you to another page containing a link for a hacked version of Skype 2.0.0.47. The version number is the same in the market, but this one has been updated, and I've used it dependably for video calls on 3G on my non rooted Inc 2, with the VZW 2.3.3 update.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    "The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
    iPhone 3G > BB Storm 1 > Incredible > Incredible 2

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity 2.39

The only thing that I've noticed is it wasn't very loud with call volume on max. Might have been the other persons computer though?