Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Default Re: How do you take a screen shot?

Quote Originally Posted by skyboxer View Post
    I get that a stock android version wouldn't have such a thing, but why don't HTC, moto, sammy etc put that capability in their custom ui? It would make it easy for every person to fill every forum, timeline, and newsfeed with free advertising of how nice their ui is.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
    Probably because not many people really care to take a screenshot? Really, of all the people that I help out with tech issues, I have never, NEVER had anyone ask me how to take a picture of the screen on their cell phone. I'm guessing that the majority of smartphone users (Android, BlackBerry, or iPhone) never have a need to take a picture of their screen. I've done it only when helping out with long distance problems. Even though it was easy on BB, I have BB friends that didn't even know you could do it.

If enough customers asked HTC, Motorola, or Samsung to add that feature, I'm sure it would show up pretty quickly.

This does seem kind of silly. I had a Palm Pre+ and it was built in - hit three keys and you had a screenshot. I just got an HTC Droid Incredible 2 last week and love it, but do miss this function.

I used it to take images off of websites and apps as reminders or reference.

So far, the things I miss from my webOS Pre+ are the cards multitasking, easy screenshot, notifications, the Touchstone charger, and the Palm Profile to backup my data and apps.

However, I am very happy with my DINC2 and Android and am very happy with my decision.

I know that Sense 3.0 has this feature built in. CM7 also has native screenshot capture. This was something new in Gingerbread I think. It may just take some time to catch on. It does suck to root for just screenshots but having the ability to try all these amazing custom roms is totally worth it!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by jfranks0987 View Post
    I know that Sense 3.0 has this feature built in. CM7 also has native screenshot capture. This was something new in Gingerbread I think. It may just take some time to catch on. It does suck to root for just screenshots but having the ability to try all these amazing custom roms is totally worth it!
    I know. There's even a Screenshots folder already on my sd card. There must be a way without screwing around with sdk's.

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    I know. There's even a Screenshots folder already on my sd card. There must be a way without screwing around with sdk's.

You have to use a screenshot app if your rom does not support native screenshots. You also must be rooted in order to use any of the screenshot apps. I used to use ShootMe before CM7 introduced native screenshot capture. ShootMe requires that you run the app and then shake the phone to take a pic of the screen. After that you can close the app. If you like Sense maybe root your phone and switch to something like Virtuous Unity. That rom has native screenshot capture built in. You hold power and press home.

Quote Originally Posted by jfranks0987 View Post
    You have to use a screenshot app if your rom does not support native screenshots. You also must be rooted in order to use any of the screenshot apps. I used to use ShootMe before CM7 introduced native screenshot capture. ShootMe requires that you run the app and then shake the phone to take a pic of the screen. After that you can close the app. If you like Sense maybe root your phone and switch to something like Virtuous Unity. That rom has native screenshot capture built in. You hold power and press home.
    Thanks for the info but it was already mentioned in this thread about needing to be rooted. What we were discussing is why Google just doesn't make this available without root. And I don't by the security reason that's been mentioned.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

I don't buy it either when other android phones have this feature built in.

Quote Originally Posted by valorian View Post
    Thanks for the info but it was already mentioned in this thread about needing to be rooted. What we were discussing is why Google just doesn't make this available without root. And I don't by the security reason that's been mentioned.
    Ah sorry I must have overlooked that. I guess technically they do include it now without root. It is just up to the manufacturer to decide if they want the device to be able to utilize native screen capture.
    An example would be the EVO 3D. An OTA actually had that feature included. My friend has the phone and he is not rooted. It does suck. It should just be usable by default on every single device. I totally agree with that.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Talking Re: How do you take a screen shot?

Quote Originally Posted by adamm_44 View Post
    I'm not sure if the works on the incredible 2 but it works on my flyer with OS 2.3.3. To take a screenshot press the power button and while holding it immediately press the home button. That's it! I hope this works for you all.
    It works thank u kindly! I knew there had to be a way to do it on the HTC Amaze, this phone does too much to not do that one simple thing.
    Thank u again!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by fashionista1980 View Post
    It works thank u kindly! I knew there had to be a way to do it on the HTC Amaze, this phone does too much to not do that one simple thing.
    Thank u again!
    Not on the DInc2.

Sent from my phone that can't take a Screenshot with Tapatalk

All you do is hold the power button and tap the home button. I have a Dinc2 red version. Make sure u have the latest software update in order to use the built-in screen capture.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    Not on the DInc2.

Sent from my phone that can't take a Screenshot with Tapatalk

All you do is hold the power button and tap the home button. I have a Dinc2 red version. Make sure u have the latest software update in order to use the built-in screen capture.

You hold the power button by itself for about a second and then push the home button while holding the power button down then let go of both( dont let go of the power button till you push the homr button. If you hold the power button any longer then 2 second the shutdown menu will pop up so remember just 1 to 2 seconds.
    Last edited by R.tech24; 08-10-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.tech24 View Post
    You hold the power button by itself for about a second and then push the home button while holding the power button down then let go of both( dont let go of the power button till you push the homr button. If you hold the power button any longer then 2 second the shutdown menu will pop up so remember just 1 to 2 seconds.
    Wow.... I was doubting this because I really only thought it was on ics but it worked like a charm, thanks
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Well back in October, when I asked the question, this wasn't possible on the dinc2. The most recent firmware update added the functionality.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

This worked for me and solved the mystery of how my husband kept finding a bunch of screenshots in his gallery. We aren't rooted and haven't downloaded any special apps for it. We're both Inc2 with ver. 2.3.4.

Wow, I can't believe they finally added this feature! I got a message on my screen saying that the image had been saved and sure enough, they're with my images!
    Last edited by Mister_Bill; 12-07-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12