How do you take a screen shot?

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's not hard to root your DINC2, just follow the directions in one of the sticky posts in the forums.

Hard really isn't the issue. The fact remains that on a blackberry, all you do is get an app and you're done. Rooting wrong can seriously screw up your phone and takes considerably more time. My question is why? Why isn't it just a standard feature?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hard really isn't the issue. The fact remains that on a blackberry, all you do is get an app and you're done. Rooting wrong can seriously screw up your phone and takes considerably more time. My question is why? Why isn't it just a standard feature?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I've read that it is a security issue. If it didn't require root access, then malicious apps could potentially grab screen shots as they please. Not sure if that's the only reason or if there are others.

You're right, rooting can mess up a phone if done wrong, but there are some pretty clear directions all over the web (including these forums) on how to root your phone. If one can't follow simple directions, they probably shouldn't be rooting. Maybe they need an iPhone...
:)

Reactions: jjbadd#AC

anon(77554)

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with kirkiscool. Having to root the phone just to take a screenshot is BS. For the most part I like the Android OS but there are LOTS of little things (like this) that I miss from my BlackBerry.

There are plenty of things that Blackberry doesn't have that Android does very well so it's kind of a wash.

skyboxer

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I get that a stock android version wouldn't have such a thing, but why don't HTC, moto, sammy etc put that capability in their custom ui? It would make it easy for every person to fill every forum, timeline, and newsfeed with free advertising of how nice their ui is.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

hachiroku13954

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I get that a stock android version wouldn't have such a thing, but why don't HTC, moto, sammy etc put that capability in their custom ui? It would make it easy for every person to fill every forum, timeline, and newsfeed with free advertising of how nice their ui is.

Probably because Apple has a patent for taking screen shoots and you know Apple with their lawsuits after lawsuits

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Probably because not many people really care to take a screenshot? Really, of all the people that I help out with tech issues, I have never, NEVER had anyone ask me how to take a picture of the screen on their cell phone. I'm guessing that the majority of smartphone users (Android, BlackBerry, or iPhone) never have a need to take a picture of their screen. I've done it only when helping out with long distance problems. Even though it was easy on BB, I have BB friends that didn't even know you could do it.

If enough customers asked HTC, Motorola, or Samsung to add that feature, I'm sure it would show up pretty quickly.

daveandcori

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This does seem kind of silly. I had a Palm Pre+ and it was built in - hit three keys and you had a screenshot. I just got an HTC Droid Incredible 2 last week and love it, but do miss this function.

I used it to take images off of websites and apps as reminders or reference.

So far, the things I miss from my webOS Pre+ are the cards multitasking, easy screenshot, notifications, the Touchstone charger, and the Palm Profile to backup my data and apps.

However, I am very happy with my DINC2 and Android and am very happy with my decision.

jfranks0987

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I know that Sense 3.0 has this feature built in. CM7 also has native screenshot capture. This was something new in Gingerbread I think. It may just take some time to catch on. It does suck to root for just screenshots but having the ability to try all these amazing custom roms is totally worth it!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I know that Sense 3.0 has this feature built in. CM7 also has native screenshot capture. This was something new in Gingerbread I think. It may just take some time to catch on. It does suck to root for just screenshots but having the ability to try all these amazing custom roms is totally worth it!

I know. There's even a Screenshots folder already on my sd card. There must be a way without screwing around with sdk's.

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

jfranks0987

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I know. There's even a Screenshots folder already on my sd card. There must be a way without screwing around with sdk's.

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

You have to use a screenshot app if your rom does not support native screenshots. You also must be rooted in order to use any of the screenshot apps. I used to use ShootMe before CM7 introduced native screenshot capture. ShootMe requires that you run the app and then shake the phone to take a pic of the screen. After that you can close the app. If you like Sense maybe root your phone and switch to something like Virtuous Unity. That rom has native screenshot capture built in. You hold power and press home.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
You have to use a screenshot app if your rom does not support native screenshots. You also must be rooted in order to use any of the screenshot apps. I used to use ShootMe before CM7 introduced native screenshot capture. ShootMe requires that you run the app and then shake the phone to take a pic of the screen. After that you can close the app. If you like Sense maybe root your phone and switch to something like Virtuous Unity. That rom has native screenshot capture built in. You hold power and press home.

Thanks for the info but it was already mentioned in this thread about needing to be rooted. What we were discussing is why Google just doesn't make this available without root. And I don't by the security reason that's been mentioned.

jfranks0987

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info but it was already mentioned in this thread about needing to be rooted. What we were discussing is why Google just doesn't make this available without root. And I don't by the security reason that's been mentioned.

Ah sorry I must have overlooked that. I guess technically they do include it now without root. It is just up to the manufacturer to decide if they want the device to be able to utilize native screen capture.
An example would be the EVO 3D. An OTA actually had that feature included. My friend has the phone and he is not rooted. It does suck. It should just be usable by default on every single device. I totally agree with that.

fashionista1980

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the works on the incredible 2 but it works on my flyer with OS 2.3.3. To take a screenshot press the power button and while holding it immediately press the home button. That's it! I hope this works for you all.

It works thank u kindly! I knew there had to be a way to do it on the HTC Amaze, this phone does too much to not do that one simple thing.
Thank u again!:)

dgafwhiteboy

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
All you do is hold the power button and tap the home button. I have a Dinc2 red version. Make sure u have the latest software update in order to use the built-in screen capture.

R.tech24

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
You hold the power button by itself for about a second and then push the home button while holding the power button down then let go of both( dont let go of the power button till you push the homr button. If you hold the power button any longer then 2 second the shutdown menu will pop up so remember just 1 to 2 seconds.

Last edited:

rayzup478

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
You hold the power button by itself for about a second and then push the home button while holding the power button down then let go of both( dont let go of the power button till you push the homr button. If you hold the power button any longer then 2 second the shutdown menu will pop up so remember just 1 to 2 seconds.

Wow.... I was doubting this because I really only thought it was on ics but it worked like a charm, thanks

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well back in October, when I asked the question, this wasn't possible on the dinc2. The most recent firmware update added the functionality.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk