Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you take a screen shot?

Android noob wondering why its such a pain in the **** to do screen shots? I shouldn't have to root my system or use desktop software. What's the big deal? BB and Apple make it pretty easy.

I'm on an updated-to gingerbread dinc2.

sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk

Default Re: How do you take a screen shot?

there are a few apps in the market that may or may not work. the only sure way to do it is rooting your phone
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That is stupid.

ioo

ROM
    Stock

If your not rooted, you can take screenshots using the android sdk with your phone plugged into usb.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's stupid too. On my BB it was an option I'm the menu after one app install. No hacking no ish no computers. IPhone is even easier...wtf android? Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome phone but why can't it just take a screenshot without a bunch of be? /rant

Last edited by kirkiscool; 07-28-2011 at 01:28 AM.

I'm coming from a blackberry too. It's a great phone but android is is missing some very small functions I miss from my BB.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's bittersweet isn't it?

Not sure if it works on the Incredible 2, but there's a really great app called "Shoot Me" that I used on my previous Droid for great screen shots.

Edit: Never mind... doesn't work.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Try an app called no root screenshot it in the market. Its a paid application but atleast it doesn't require root.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

I'm not sure if the works on the incredible 2 but it works on my flyer with OS 2.3.3. To take a screenshot press the power button and while holding it immediately press the home button. That's it! I hope this works for you all.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Pressing power makes it sleep. If I hold it it asks if I want to shut down etc. Wish it was that simple.

ROM
    One XXX RLS 6.0.2

Your phone has to be rooted. Then get an app for it. The one I use is Screen Shot It.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I noticed there's a screenshot folder on the SD card. There must be a way. Is this new after gb update?

sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    Try an app called no root screenshot it in the market. Its a paid application but atleast it doesn't require root.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.
    This worked for me but if you have to power down for any reason you can't screen shot til you can hook up to a pc and open it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by adamm_44 View Post
    I'm not sure if the works on the incredible 2 but it works on my flyer with OS 2.3.3. To take a screenshot press the power button and while holding it immediately press the home button. That's it! I hope this works for you all.
    I rememberr doing something similar on the Fascinate on 2.2 but was incosistent. I just tried on the Inc and so far no.... but hmmm maybe I'll go through some combinations. Thanks for reminding me

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I rooted my phone using AlhphaRevX/Beta/2 (now revolutionary.io) and then use my old favourite ShootMe. By the looks of it if you rooted in Froyo, the S-off survives into Gingerbread.

Confirmed: Just remember the root will be lost and the procedure for GB is totally different. I am now on 2.3.3. Battery life is really up.
    Last edited by sgiitk; 02-09-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added note on GB upgrade
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Just to be clear, even if im rooted and get the app, I have to be hooked up to a USB/computer to take the screen shot? that's so friggin CaveMan. why is it so difficult to do? and yes, it is difficult compared to BB and iphone.

No, the root apps place the Screenshot directly onto your sd card. Some of the open source roms have a Screenshot utility built in.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

So what is it about this phone that makes it so complicated?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

I use Drocap 2. Used it on my OG Moto Droid, Droid X, DINC, and my DINC 2. It's a freebie and it works great. Must have root. Don't have to connect to computer.

It's not hard to root your DINC2, just follow the directions in one of the sticky posts in the forums.

I have to agree with kirkiscool. Having to root the phone just to take a screenshot is BS. For the most part I like the Android OS but there are LOTS of little things (like this) that I miss from my BlackBerry.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by wabyrd View Post

It's not hard to root your DINC2, just follow the directions in one of the sticky posts in the forums.
    Hard really isn't the issue. The fact remains that on a blackberry, all you do is get an app and you're done. Rooting wrong can seriously screw up your phone and takes considerably more time. My question is why? Why isn't it just a standard feature?

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    Hard really isn't the issue. The fact remains that on a blackberry, all you do is get an app and you're done. Rooting wrong can seriously screw up your phone and takes considerably more time. My question is why? Why isn't it just a standard feature?

I've read that it is a security issue. If it didn't require root access, then malicious apps could potentially grab screen shots as they please. Not sure if that's the only reason or if there are others.

You're right, rooting can mess up a phone if done wrong, but there are some pretty clear directions all over the web (including these forums) on how to root your phone. If one can't follow simple directions, they probably shouldn't be rooting. Maybe they need an iPhone...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by valorian View Post
    I have to agree with kirkiscool. Having to root the phone just to take a screenshot is BS. For the most part I like the Android OS but there are LOTS of little things (like this) that I miss from my BlackBerry.
    There are plenty of things that Blackberry doesn't have that Android does very well so it's kind of a wash.

I get that a stock android version wouldn't have such a thing, but why don't HTC, moto, sammy etc put that capability in their custom ui? It would make it easy for every person to fill every forum, timeline, and newsfeed with free advertising of how nice their ui is.

Quote Originally Posted by skyboxer View Post
    I get that a stock android version wouldn't have such a thing, but why don't HTC, moto, sammy etc put that capability in their custom ui? It would make it easy for every person to fill every forum, timeline, and newsfeed with free advertising of how nice their ui is.

Probably because Apple has a patent for taking screen shoots and you know Apple with their lawsuits after lawsuits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast