Got Skype Video Call Working (Non-Root)

jjenri09

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if any of you have come across this but I got this .apk today from a thread on XDA. I tried it out and can video call to a computer, both rear and front cameras work. I know the link says "skype thunderbolt" but hey it worked for me. I have a stock HTC Incredible 2 with the GB update and that's it.

Note: When you go to video call with a contact, short press the contact, long press does not give you the option. If it says a person cannot receive video calls, and that person is online, ignore the message and wait because it will still go through after a couple minutes.

Let me know if you give it a shot, and if you test the video mobile to mobile.

SkypeThunderbolt.apk

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The newest Skype version (2.0.0.47) works on the Incredible 2 now. This version is available from the Android Market.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, 2.1.0.46

Go to settings and there is an option to enable video calling. Works well on DI2. I tried the cracked version, but I had trouble staying logged in.

Reactions: TBolt

dnoyeb

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I just wish that it was smart enough to know I have hte phone vertical and show it that way on the other user's screen...

woojoo83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
great tip, thanks! however, now there is an icon on the left side of my notification bar that won't go away. it is a greyed out silhouette of the skype icon with a check-mark inside. it is not one of the notifications that can be "cleared" away with the clear button.

anyone have this too and know how to wipe it away?

pfurlong33

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
That notification is because you haven't actually signed out of skype, you just simply closed the screen... open up skype again and hit the menu button, then click log-off. That should solve your problem

woojoo83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
pfurlong33 & sunny_d: thanks. i figured that that might be the case. laaaaaaame. i'm always signed into google talk, but there's no annoying persistent notification icon there. oh well, hopefully skype will address that one day. thanks for the knowledge.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
meh . . . the status icon can be annoying . . . I don't notice it anymore . . . I'm just happy for the video support

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
So I'm confused after reading through this thread (and the linked AF thread) multiple times over.

Is the Skype app in the Market able to do video chat on the DInc2 or is it only the linked XDA hacked version that can?

Thanks in advance.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So I'm confused after reading through this thread (and the linked AF thread) multiple times over.

Is the Skype app in the Market able to do video chat on the DInc2 or is it only the linked XDA hacked version that can?

Thanks in advance.

I found Skype for Android 2.1.0.46 in the Android Market. In the settings menu, there is an option to "Enable Video Calling".

My niece is in Asia and video called me on my Droid Incredible 2. It worked very well over WiFi. 3G calling is spotty.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Progenitor42

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the enable video chat settings. I missed that on my first look through of the app. I tried the video calling out earlier. I agree with the 3G being spotty. I have not tried it with a WiFi connection. I have only one gripe so far and that's the fact the picture is only in landscape. I would like to see the portrait option. Other than that I'm really glad to see some real use for the front camera.

BFMV

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
when I go to settings, I do not see an option to enable video calling. I downloaded version 2.1.0.46 from the market. For Calls under settings all I have is "Receive call from" and :Technical info".

EDIT: nevermind now I see it, I had to log out then log back in, now I have that option