Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    In a month, my contract is up and I'm getting the Dinc2. the first thing i want to do is upgrade the software to the new gingerbread version. I currently have a BB Storm 2 and I think the transition is going to be a little tough on me. I have a couple of questions. I'm not comfortable with "rooting" as I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to turn my phone into a brick.
    My BB has a feature where you can click on an application and either delete it or hide it. I'm not too thrilled with all the bloatware that Verizon seems to have put on the Dinc2 and would like to know if I can delete it without hurting the phone. Someone has suggested Titanium Backup and another suggested Launcher Pro, ADW EX and Go Launcher.

    I want to get rid of NFL Mobile, Vcast videos, vcast music, City ID and a bunch of other programs I won't use. Is there a key you can use to hide or delete these programs so they don't clog up my screens and eat my memory?

    Also, I have a ringtone maker on my computer. you simply select a song and pick a portion of that song and then you can transfer it to your BB. On the BB, there is a folder called Media and in that you can place your premade ringtones and use them. the Dinc2 demo I was playing with at the store didn't seem to have any option where you can place your home made ringtones in. I read somewhere that Verizon wouldn't let you download or add your own ringtones, but rather had to purchase them from the Verizon Vcast store.

    I know I should probably wait until I get the phone before posting on this forum, but I'm a little nervous about getting a Dinc2 if I can't get rid of all the bloatware that Verizon seems to love to load onto there phones and I certainly don't want to delete something that will turn my phone into a brick.

    thanks for reading.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by charalson64 View Post
    In a month, my contract is up and I'm getting the Dinc2. the first thing i want to do is upgrade the software to the new gingerbread version. I currently have a BB Storm 2 and I think the transition is going to be a little tough on me. I have a couple of questions. I'm not comfortable with "rooting" as I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to turn my phone into a brick.
    Hello -- I'm a former Storm user who now has a Thunderbolt...hopefully I can help.

    First things first. Chances are when you get the phone it will have the latest "official" software on it. If you want to install different software (know as custom "ROMs" in the Android world), you do need a rooted device. I'm not as familiar with the DInc2, but it's pretty similar to the TB as they are both HTC phones, and I do know the methods used to root the DInc2 are pretty much the same as the TB. I'm sure you can find more info on that here in the forums if you decide to go that route.

    When I first got my Thunderbolt, I too was unsure I wanted to root, and had the same concerns, but it has definitely been worth it from my perspective. You can check the FAQ in my signature for some more info on the whole rooting thing. I wrote it with the TB in mind, but most items apply to the DInc2 as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by charalson64 View Post
    My BB has a feature where you can click on an application and either delete it or hide it. I'm not too thrilled with all the bloatware that Verizon seems to have put on the Dinc2 and would like to know if I can delete it without hurting the phone. Someone has suggested Titanium Backup and another suggested Launcher Pro, ADW EX and Go Launcher.

    I want to get rid of NFL Mobile, Vcast videos, vcast music, City ID and a bunch of other programs I won't use. Is there a key you can use to hide or delete these programs so they don't clog up my screens and eat my memory?
    My best advice here is to just say that Android handles apps differently than the BB did. There is no "hiding" of apps from the main app drawer, but you can pick and choose which apps and/or widgets appear on your homescreen. Unless you root your device, unfortunately, you CANNOT remove "bloatware". That kinda sucks, but unlike the BB, there is PLENTY of app memory to go around, so as long as you're not actually running a ton of apps at the same time, it's not like you have to worry about app memory like you did with the BB.

    Titanium can be used to remove or "freeze" bloatware and unwanted apps, but you have to be rooted to use it.

    As far as the launchers you mention...those are things I wouldn't worry about diving right into. They can allow you customize the look and feel of your homescreen if you don't care for the standard HTC Sense UI. My personal recommendation is to learn the phone first, and once you know you're way around, then play around with other launchers if you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by charalson64 View Post
    Also, I have a ringtone maker on my computer. you simply select a song and pick a portion of that song and then you can transfer it to your BB. On the BB, there is a folder called Media and in that you can place your premade ringtones and use them. the Dinc2 demo I was playing with at the store didn't seem to have any option where you can place your home made ringtones in. I read somewhere that Verizon wouldn't let you download or add your own ringtones, but rather had to purchase them from the Verizon Vcast store.
    No problem here...I copied a bunch of my old BB ringtones right over to my SD card and use them all the time. Just create a "ringtones" folder (or whatever you want to call it) and go nuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by charalson64 View Post
    I know I should probably wait until I get the phone before posting on this forum, but I'm a little nervous about getting a Dinc2 if I can't get rid of all the bloatware that Verizon seems to love to load onto there phones and I certainly don't want to delete something that will turn my phone into a brick.

    thanks for reading.
    Don't be "nervous" about the bloatware. It's very unnecessary for most of us, but it really does no harm. Like I said, it's not like the BB where you're forced to try to squeeze every last MB out of your app memory just to run the apps you want. I currently have about 70 apps loaded, and still about 1.7 GB of internal "app" storage available. I don't know the exact memory configuration of the DInc2, but the TB relies on a minimal amount of internal storage (with a large SD card), it's still PLENTY of space for all your apps...and the annoying Verizon bloatware if necessary. The original Droids were lacking in this department, but this generation of phones does just fine.

    As far as deleting something you shouldn't...it's pretty much impossible. Unless you root, you can't uninstall factory installed apps, and even if you do decide to root, there are still safeguards in place. As long as you look before you leap (i.e. read the threads and ask questions), it's pretty hard to screw a phone up that badly...at least in terms of turning it into an un-recoverable brick.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    Oh, Also, I was an owner of the both the Storm 1 and Storm 2, as well as several other BBs before that. I was very happy with those devices, and a defender of BlackBerry until the end. But I finally got sick and tired of waiting on features and updates that never happened, and decided to give Android a shot. I will NEVER go back. It's a steep learning curve at first, but nothing to be intimated by.

    I do advise that if you truly want the same real-time push sync of your email/calendar/contacts like the BB provides, you use a GMail account as your primary account on an Android device. Yes, you can still use and sync with other types of email accounts, but the integration and sync just doesn't compare. It is in this realm that (unless you use GMail), the BB still comes out on top in my opinion.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I do advise that if you truly want the same real-time push sync of your email/calendar/contacts like the BB provides, you use a GMail account as your primary account on an Android device. Yes, you can still use and sync with other types of email accounts, but the integration and sync just doesn't compare. It is in this realm that (unless you use GMail), the BB still comes out on top in my opinion.
    I will be going from a BB Storm 2 to a Android phone this month as well. Already set up a GMail account as I did not have one before, was excited to learn about I could push my other emails through GMail! Then of course found out the only one you can not do that with is Yahoo, my main account! Of course you can pay yahoo to do this but just do see that happening. I think this will be the only thing I will miss the most from BB.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    I will be going from a BB Storm 2 to a Android phone this month as well. Already set up a GMail account as I did not have one before, was excited to learn about I could push my other emails through GMail! Then of course found out the only one you can not do that with is Yahoo, my main account! Of course you can pay yahoo to do this but just do see that happening. I think this will be the only thing I will miss the most from BB.
    There is a Yahoo mail app for Android that is pretty reliable, at least for email. I have a secondary account through Yahoo and access it just fine. Notifications are pretty much instant.

    Still not as nice as Gmail though...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    Awesome information!! thanks. I think I will miss the style of the BB, but I'm really excited about the Dinc2. thank you so much for the tips and hints. I spoke to Verizon on the phone today and they are going to push my renewal date up so I can get my phone today. YAY..
  7. #7  
    tack's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

    Default Re: BBStorm to Dinc2 questions

    I will add to what has been said, as a former BB 8830>Storm1>Bold>Storm2 user myself!

    First, rooting is a little overwhelming at first. If you take the time to read and learn, you will get it. You have to downgrade the current OS version on the Dinc2 to do it, but it works well when you do it. You will open up a whole new world if you do, and you won't look back. You can also undo the process if necessary. I recently took mine back to stock, unrooted and s-on with no issues. You can brick the phone, unlike a BB, but it should not happen if you are careful. Android Central, XDA and Rootzwiki have some good sections to reach, learn and ask questions.

    I disagree that that bloatware is no issue. It hurts battery life. When I went to a custom ROM after rooting I got 2x battery life. The ROM was imply a debloated stock ROM. If you root, you will see improved performance and battery life with the right ROM.

    As far as ringtones, I recommend Ringdroid from the market. It is slick and allows you to create ring tones from MP3's on your phone quickly. Great app and free.

    As far as push, I have two Hotmail and one corporate Exchange account setup, all 3 as Exchange Activesync accounts. GMail, Hotmail and many other accounts offer free Activesync interfaces that work well. I get emails as soon as every BB in my office. No doubt the built in GMail APP rocks, but there are other ways to get push depending on your email service. I even once had my GMail setup through an Activesync account to get an unified inbox like the BB.

    Good luck!

Posting Permissions

B