Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcaples
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tips for an Older, Non-Techie Dinc2 User?

Hey all,

I've been an original Dinc user for the past year, loved it, and will possibly upgrade to the Nexus if it's $199. Anyway, my Dad (60+ years old) is a complete non-techie, doesn't even have internet or a computer at home. His trusted old flip phone finally died, and he decided to get a smartphone. On my advice (uh oh!), he decided on a Dinc2, mostly because I had a Dinc and he wanted to have roughly the same phone. I actually thought he might be better off with an iPhone as I thought they are supposedly easy to use (???) but the Dinc2 it was, 4 days ago.

Anyway, I've been teaching him a little, bit by bit, calling and contacts so far. Initially, my Dad struggled with such mundane things as "clicking" apps, he would touch the screen and accidentally move his finger or touch the screen too long. Typing was also difficult as he often touched the wrong keys with his older, less sensitive, and perhaps less dextrous fingers. Naturally, he likes the voice input, and I'm planning on moving him to Swiftkey X when I next get my hands on his phone. Needless to say, tutoring him has taken longer than I thought.

Still, like all of us, he has played with it on his own and has figured out the calendar and texting. Along with calling, those were his primary uses with his old flip phone. So, at least he hasn't lost anything in the transition. What should I do next? I was thinking of showing him email, maybe home screen shortcuts to his most often called contacts, maybe navigation. (?)

Any suggestions from anyone who's ever been in a similar position, or just any advice in general? Thanks in advance!!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Tips for an Older, Non-Techie Dinc2 User?

Maybe disable the auto screen rotation unless he wants it for the bigger keyboard when composing mail....Put only the icons on his home screen he will use,mail,contacts etc... and clear the other 6 screens of icons so he doesnt accidently open stuff up....And stay away from any icons that has a Red V on it!!
    Thanked by:

With go launcher ex or some other launcher app you can remove home screens so he can only see 1 or 2. Also a big advantage with smartphones is games. Get him hooked on angry birds.

I wouldn't even know where to start if my dad got a phone smarter than him. He just got a brand new nokia flip phone. He excitedly told me the other day "you know that I can take pictures with this thing! "

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I'm heading into almost the exact same situation as you. My 64 year old mom wants a smartphone. I'm tempted to tell her to get an iPhone because I think it will be simpler and present fewer complications, errors, dud apps, etc. But I want to be able to help her and I drive a Dinc2. Plus I think I want her to get a phone with a bigger screen. I'd like to make the system font larger for her somehow because she has to use reading glasses but doesn't always have them handy. I'd just have her get a Dinc2 but I feel like the too-quiet earpiece may be a dealbreaker for her. The Galaxy Nexus is sounding like it might be a good candidate. If I have her go that route, I think I'd want to put a launcher on there that limits home screens to just three so she won't get lost. I'd love it if there were a ROM that presented a simplified experience for less tech savvy people and made all the fonts bigger for older eyes.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Astrodroid View Post
    I'm heading into almost the exact same situation as you. My 64 year old mom wants a smartphone. I'm tempted to tell her to get an iPhone because I think it will be simpler and present fewer complications, errors, dud apps, etc. But I want to be able to help her and I drive a Dinc2. Plus I think I want her to get a phone with a bigger screen. I'd like to make the system font larger for her somehow because she has to use reading glasses but doesn't always have them handy. I'd just have her get a Dinc2 but I feel like the too-quiet earpiece may be a dealbreaker for her. The Galaxy Nexus is sounding like it might be a good candidate. If I have her go that route, I think I'd want to put a launcher on there that limits home screens to just three so she won't get lost. I'd love it if there were a ROM that presented a simplified experience for less tech savvy people and made all the fonts bigger for older eyes.
    I think there's a launcher called BIG launcher that is meant for older, less tech savy people. It was reviewed on the site maybe 1 or 2 months ago.

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads
    Thanked by:

Holy crap! I had invented and visualized this thing in my mind and now here it is! Seriously, I thought of something just like this. I thought the Windows Phone home screen idea was actually a good answer to the confusion about where various things are and what their status is. Thank you!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for all the great tips, keep 'em coming! I completely forgot about the camera options, but that's another thing my Dad used to do with his flip phone. Now at least he'll be able to keep and even print the pictures he takes. Don't ask me how, but my Dad managed to accidentally rearrange most of the icons on his home screen. I think he's still getting used to the tap to open as opposed to hold and accidentally move!

Does anyone know how I can buy apps on his phone without really enabling the auto buy features? For example, I want to buy Swiftkey X, but I don't want to attach a credit card to his account in case he accidentally buys other things. Speaking of which, getting rid of that V-crap was a great tip, Max!

Also, he likes cars/motorcycles/ATVs a lot, so if anyone knows of a VERY SIMPLE racing game, preferably for free, I'd love to hear some ideas. Not sure if he'd really play it much though, but I agree that any time spent on the phone will help get him used to it.

I haven't looked too far inth this yet but I think you can set up google wallet to work with the market. Not sure how it works but maybe you can just transfer some money onto that and buy apps.

Sent from my mik'd dinc2
    Phone: HTC One
    ROM: B.S.C. Tranquil One RLS 3
    Recovery: TWRP 2.5.0

Tablet: Transformer Prime
    ROM: Hairy Bean 2.1.1
    Recovery: TWRP

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Well first off...I do also do not own a computer (personal or other wise)...my father has the original BlackBerry Curve...start your pops of in the shallow end of the smartphone pool;BlackBerry...the Curve (83xx) Series is great phone with a great keyboard...if ya can't find a carrier that has any try Boost Mobile...oh...FYI...I'm disabled and have (had) a tough time with typing...it may take some getting used to, but have your dad try out the compact keyboard on his Dinc, it works like T9 but its better...also, I use the Ice cream Sandwich keyboard in The Market...the predictive text/word completion is GREAT
    Sent from my GS3 w/JB
    ilovetheflbeach likes this.

Set up bookmarks for him. Buy him a tylus (to help with his typing). If you have a computer, ask him if you can access his Android Market and just go thru the various apps and see what he wants.

Your older Dsd/Grandparents may just surprise you. On one of the forums a Grannie rooted her Inc by herself....in 30 minutes....

Next step a computer and internet Maybe he'll find the Grannie in the forums (just kidding)

Does your dad have a gmail account? If so, you could help him set up his contacts (including email addresses) by entering them via your home computer -- much, much easier than entering on the tiny keyboard -- and syncing with his phone. That would also provide a portable backup.

I can sympathize with him regarding the sensitivity of the touch screen. I've only had my Dinc2 for a week and I'm still pretty low on the learning curve as far as using the screen to type.