Do I Need Text ?

abredt

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I plan to use my phone mostly for internet and email via Wi-Fi, GPS, and voice phone calls.

I will send pictures attached to email.

Do you think I need Text?

Thanks, Smartphone Newbie cb

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Texting is almost a given these days on any carrier. Its normally included with most packages to some extent and on the bigger value packages its usually unlimited texts/pics etc.

abredt

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at the Verizon "Guide to Plans."

The minimum Family Share Plan says:

Talk = $69
Talk & Text = $99* so Text is $30 per month.

Then it says Text includes pictures sent via email.
Does it mean that if I send a picture to someone's email address it is Text?

Thanks, cb

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Does it mean that if I send a picture to someone's email address it is Text?

How do you send a picture to an email address without sending it in an email? If you send a picture as an attachment in an email, it is getting there via your data plan, not your texting plan.

To the OP: there are several apps that allow you to send text messages through your data plan, negating the need to sign up for a text plan from your carrier.

djaquez21

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sending pictures to email isn't under the texting plan, but data. Like the person above said though, why not just use an app, such as textPlus, and getting texting for free then. Oh and sending a picture over text is MMS, which isn't sent to email but to their phone.

jbhenry

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a TXT plan on my phone, I use Google Voice to send SMS for free. Also use Instant Messaging with Google Talk and Google Plus occasionally, which use your data plan, as an alternative to SMS. With a data plan there's really no reason to pay the extra $$ for a texting plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781