Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Default Verizon Warranty Replacements?

How many am I going to have to go through to get a decent phone?

First one had a bad power button (issue I had with my original Incredible 2), second one has a good power button but a bad volume down button. Or will they be like Sprint and if my 3rd replacement is bad I get a brand new phone?

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    How many am I going to have to go through to get a decent phone?

First one had a bad power button (issue I had with my original Incredible 2), second one has a good power button but a bad volume down button. Or will they be like Sprint and if my 3rd replacement is bad I get a brand new phone?
    In the last 15 months, I had 4 fascinates replaced for defections. Was offered the X2 as a replacement, went through 4 of those (mostly software issues on the X2 though one the 3g radio completely died). Anyway, once you get to 4 it seems that's the magic number for getting another model or early upgrade. I was offered early upgrade but I can't justify $300 for a phone when I pay over $200 a month to them already.

Anyway, goodluck

From my Inc2 running Inc2 HD
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    In the last 15 months, I had 4 fascinates replaced for defections. Was offered the X2 as a replacement, went through 4 of those (mostly software issues on the X2 though one the 3g radio completely died). Anyway, once you get to 4 it seems that's the magic number for getting another model or early upgrade. I was offered early upgrade but I can't justify $300 for a phone when I pay over $200 a month to them already.

Anyway, goodluck

From my Inc2 running Inc2 HD
    So far, replacement #3 is working fine. Time to see how well it lasts though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Verizon Warranty Replacements?

I guess I've been lucky so far - I've had 3 HTC Android phones without any issues at all (until I broke my charging port 2 days ago).
    I bought an Eris in November '09 which worked fine until I lost it in August of '10. Assurion replaced it with another Eris, which also worked fine. I replaced it with an Incredible2 in August of '11 when I was due for an upgrade. It worked great until Friday night, when, while exiting my car, I tripped over the charging cable while it was attached to the phone. This must have ruined the port because the phone won't charge now. I went to Verizon this afternoon and they're sending me a new one.

ROM
    Stock

Im on my second replacement now and just called them today as the screen is acting crazy. Things will just start popping up like i touched them, but i didnt. Also there is a slight haze under the glass. My original was turned in due to the GPS not working. Second was something wrong with the antenna and getting half the signal that another DI2 setting right next to mine was getting. I went through this with my Pre Plus a long time ago and really am not looking forward to doing it again. I just hope they get me a good one this time.

You guys are amateurs compared to what I went thru with my galaxy s2!! First was battery issue. Second was screen saturation. Third was constantly powering off and the fourth one was back to battery issues. All these within 3 weeks!!!! Finally returned my s2 and got a skyrocket. Knock on wood. Its been 5 months and not a single issue!!!!

Besides power button issues and antenna/reception issues HTC phones are plagued with dust getting under the screen. Most likely it is dust that is causing the "haze" you're seeing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Even though I just won a Galaxy Nexus, I think I'm going to have to request another replacement for reception issues now since I won't get the Galaxy Nexus for 6-8 weeks (damn Samsung contest making me wait that long).
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Well, I spoke to soon. Power button is starting to act up again and my reception with way down hill last night & today.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - 4.08 build

I went through 7 Palm Pre Plus' in 6 months with Verizon.. they just kept sending them to me. Can't imagine a phone that had worse build quality.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rmolter View Post
    Im on my second replacement now and just called them today as the screen is acting crazy. Things will just start popping up like i touched them, but i didnt. Also there is a slight haze under the glass. My original was turned in due to the GPS not working. Second was something wrong with the antenna and getting half the signal that another DI2 setting right next to mine was getting. I went through this with my Pre Plus a long time ago and really am not looking forward to doing it again. I just hope they get me a good one this time.
    Spoke too soon. Got replacement #3 yesterday and the power button is almost recessed. Called as soon as i went to turn it on and ordered replacement #4. Should be here on Monday. I just don't get it, who checks these phones and says they are "ok"?

ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

I've been lucky, I guess. I never had any issues with my Eris or My Inc2. My nephew did need to get a replacement because of bad micro-usb slot. I've never had such issues, I guess its because I purchased mine on amazon. LOL
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz

If your volume rocker is fine try using go launcher paired with go locker. you can use your volume rocker to unlock the screen. My lock/unlock has been recessed for months and this has saved me.

Replacement number one will be at my hous tomorrow. I couldnt connect to the networkand make any phon calls or get any data in or out

ROM
    Stock

Spoke too soon. Got replacement #3 yesterday and the power button is almost recessed. Called as soon as i went to turn it on and ordered replacement #4. Should be here on Monday. I just don't get it, who checks these phones and says they are "ok"?
    And the saga continues. At this point I am just being picky, but why shouldn't I be, right? I got #4 this afternoon. Opened the box and through the plastic bag its in i see a scratch on the housing above the front camera. Like a deep one done to the metal. So far the phone is working good though. I am torn though, should i call and complain about the scratch or just deal with it and hope this phone functions the way it should? I think i will call either way and at least let them know about the scratch. What do you think?

And the saga continues. At this point I am just being picky, but why shouldn't I be, right? I got #4 this afternoon. Opened the box and through the plastic bag its in i see a scratch on the housing above the front camera. Like a deep one done to the metal. So far the phone is working good though. I am torn though, should i call and complain about the scratch or just deal with it and hope this phone functions the way it should? I think i will call either way and at least let them know about the scratch. What do you think?
    I think people that are "just being picky" drive the prices up for everyone. I've had dozens and dozens of smartphones since before they were called smartphones (PDA days). I have four people in my household that I pay for smartphones so have a lot of experience and have went through A LOT of phones over the years.

I've only replaced one phone (Galaxy Nexus), because Verizon recommended it even though I knew it was a software issue and not a hardware issue, in all the years I've had them. I can't figure out (maybe I should say can't believe) that you guys are going through 4, 5, 6, 7, phones to get one that works???

I'm not saying you should not exercise your warranty when your phone doesn't work but some of the things I read around here make me shake my head.

I guess I can only say...C'mon Man!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    I guess I can only say...C'mon Man!
    Really? So if they were to send you a phone as a replacement that was worse off than the one you are sending back, you would just chalk it up as "one for the team" as to not raise the prices? I value your opinion, but i do not agree that warranty replacements are the cause of the price increase. $199 was a pretty standard price for a while for phones. Then is was was $249, now were looking at $299. Like everything else, the times are going to drive the price up. I'm sure in the not too far future we will be looking at $400 and $500 phones and thinking its a decent deal.

I have had smart phones for many years as well. I was an avid BlackBerry user for a long time and never had a bit of trouble. I switched to the PalmPre+ and it was horrible. i went through 5 or 6 of them for similar issues. My original Droid never had an issue. Now this phone is not going so well. It should be a call for Verizon to change the process of inspections. Thats the root cause of this thread. If a phone was checked out correctly and tested, they could probably cut down on 50% of the returns. Thats just my $0.2. Thanks for the response.

Really? So if they were to send you a phone as a replacement that was worse off than the one you are sending back, you would just chalk it up as "one for the team" as to not raise the prices?
    If the small scratch on the housing of phone #4 was "worse off than the one you are sending back" then I wouldn't have sent #3 back in the first place. You yourself said you're just being picky at this point and ended your post with "what do you think?" so I was only telling you "what I think".

I can understand where LBTRS is coming from - I had two Eris' without issues, I had a DInc2 for about 9 months with no problems until I ruined the charging port by tripping over the charging cable while it was plugged in. I got a replacement (under warranty) a week ago, and this new one is 100% ok too so far.

That's 4 phones with zero issues. What would be the odds of someone getting 4 phones, all with issues? Not that I doubt anyone's word, but you have to admit that it sounds extremely unusual; after the third one I would be demanding a different model.

Quote Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
    I can understand where LBTRS is coming from - I had two Eris' without issues, I had a DInc2 for about 9 months with no problems until I ruined the charging port by tripping over the charging cable while it was plugged in. I got a replacement (under warranty) a week ago, and this new one is 100% ok too so far.

That's 4 phones with zero issues. What would be the odds of someone getting 4 phones, all with issues? Not that I doubt anyone's word, but you have to admit that it sounds extremely unusual; after the third one I would be demanding a different model.
    Well I appreciate you seeing my point of view, however, if you in fact got a new phone under "warranty" and not through an insurance claim then I have the same thing to say to you. The warranty is for manufacture defects and not for accidental damage and if you lied and got a warranty replacement for a phone you damaged, by tripping over the charging cable, then you're driving up the prices for all of us as well.

Now if you mistyped and meant you got a replacement through an insurance claim then that is fine and we're on the same page.

ROM
    Stock

LBTRS, so i needed to use my navigation last night, and yes, i NEEDED it. It doesn't work. I guess its partly my fault that i didn't check the GPS when i got the replacement phone. And yes, this is the one with the scratch. You would think a "Certified Replacement" would have had the GPS checked, but maybe they leave that up to the person who gets it. Just wanted to make sure that the GPS not working is a valid reason, per your rules to call Verizon and get another replacement? Thanks

LBTRS, so i needed to use my navigation last night, and yes, i NEEDED it. It doesn't work. I guess its partly my fault that i didn't check the GPS when i got the replacement phone. And yes, this is the one with the scratch. You would think a "Certified Replacement" would have had the GPS checked, but maybe they leave that up to the person who gets it. Just wanted to make sure that the GPS not working is a valid reason, per your rules to call Verizon and get another replacement? Thanks
    As I said, if your phone doesn't actually work then that is what the warranty is for and you should get a new phone. It's the "my volume button wiggled so I got a new phone" that I see around here all the time that makes me crazy.

Best of luck with your replacement device.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I've had first replacement Dinc2 for 2 days everything seems to work ok no issues.

Got a replacement and it was dead out of the box. I wouldn't be surprised if they just recycle the phones that are returned without checking them.