Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
  1. #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drtrask View Post
    The Motorola Droid2 Global from Verizon is BAND LOCKED to prohibit use of an AT&T or T-mobile sim in the GSM side of the phone.

    With the Incredible 2, has Verizon put similar restrictions on the GSM side of the phone? Although it can be SIM unlocked, is the phone band restricted to prohibit use on AT&T or T-mobile?
    !
    My AT&T SIM card (pulled from my iPhone) will not work in my unlocked Dinc2. I get zero bars of signal and an error about "network unavailable" (or something like that).

    On the other hand, my Virgin Mobile SIM card works fine in my Dinc2, and I get both voice and data with it. BTW, with the Virgin Mobile SIM card, the phone states T-Mobile is the network provider (as expected). My TIM and Orange SIM cards work too.

    Unfortunately, I don't have a T-Mobile SIM card to test if my Dinc2 will work on T-Mobile directly.

    EDIT: I should state that all of these tests were done in the U.S. I have not yet tried my AT&T SIM card in my Dinc2 while roaming outside of the U.S. In my unlocked Verizon Touch Pro 2, the same AT&T SIM card works fine inside the U.S. as well as when I'm traveling abroad. Now that Verizon no longer offers an unlimited international data plan, I use my AT&T SIM card when I don't have time to pick up a local prepay SIM. AT&T's international data rates, which used to be wicked expensive, are currently much cheaper than Verizon's.
  2. #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles_prower View Post
    To disable the SIM card lock so you can use non-Verizon SIM cards in your Dinc2:

    1. Call Verizon Global Support at 908-559-4899. Most of the reps at regular Support (*611) do not know how to disable SIM lock.

    2. Once you give Global Support your phone number, they can look up the MEID/ESN of your phone from your account data and issue an MEP unlock code immediately.

    3. Once you have your unlock code, on your Dinc2, go to Home|Settings|Security|Disable SIM card lock and type in your code.

    4. Swap out the SIM card for a non-Verizon SIM.

    5. Go to Home|Settings|Call|Preferred Network and select GSM/UMTS Mode.
    Exactly what I did. The rep had me read the sim card number to her (from the phone settings) and then issued the code which I entered to unlock the sim card.
  3. #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamuco View Post
    Exactly what I did. The rep had me read the sim card number to her (from the phone settings) and then issued the code which I entered to unlock the sim card.
    so then what did they do for me exactly? is my sim not unlocked such that i can use a local sim carrier when im out of the US?
  4. #29  
    crspy's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

    Default

    So this phone will work on all international networks and even T-mobile/ATT in the US? This might change my decision on keeping this phone instead of getting the Charge. (Don't have a sim to check and I'm not going out of the country for a few months)
  5. #30  
    CharlotteJacket's Avatar

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock RAZR ICS Release

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles_prower View Post
    To disable the SIM card lock so you can use non-Verizon SIM cards in your Dinc2:

    1. Call Verizon Global Support at 908-559-4899. Most of the reps at regular Support (*611) do not know how to disable SIM lock.

    2. Once you give Global Support your phone number, they can look up the MEID/ESN of your phone from your account data and issue an MEP unlock code immediately.

    3. Once you have your unlock code, on your Dinc2, go to Home|Settings|Security|Disable SIM card lock and type in your code.

    4. Swap out the SIM card for a non-Verizon SIM.

    5. Go to Home|Settings|Call|Preferred Network and select GSM/UMTS Mode.
    Like mamuco, this is exactly what I did. Have been a VZW customer for years, though, and they've unlocked several blackberries for me, so I guess I'm a good risk for them. The agent at the Global Support desk transferred me to a Global technician to get the unlock code. Took about five minutes, and I didn't need to know my current SIM ID - just my current phone number. Without a global unlimited data rate available to us anymore, having local data access is much more important now. Used to be $69/month unlimited, but now, as the agent described to me, it's $100 for 70MB. Ouch.

    I'm using a Vodafone UK SIM right now. If you are doing for the first time, be sure to know what APN's you need and how to enter them when you arrive so you can use the data networks (a google search for the local carrier and "APN" should do it). As a long-time CDMA customer, I wasn't aware of this the first time I tried to use data on a local SIM, and I had to go to a physical store for help. If you know the APN's and have your phone unlocked, you can pick up a SIM card out of a vending machine when you arrive.

    Plus, I love the phone. I am familiar with the original Incredible, and I've used an original Droid, a Galaxy Tab, and Aria/Liberty personally, and I'm really pleased with the speed, camera, battery life, and even the stock UI on the Inc2. With the Incredible S getting 2.3 today, I'm hoping that we're not far behind on the Inc2.
  6. #31  
    LowFire's Avatar

    Posts
    181 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I knew that sounded way too easy, them saying they are remotely unlocking it....

    Anywho, glad to hear though that these can be unlocked and looks like I will be doing mine as soon as I get it too
  7. #32  

    Default

    Yep. Looks like I'm calling back in.still curious to know what they did do..
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junknstuff View Post
    Yep. Looks like I'm calling back in.still curious to know what they did do..
    Please let us know how it goes. I'm hoping to call by tomorrow afternoon (don't have the phone here).
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  9. #34  

    Default

    Haven't had time to call back, but I'm leaving out of the country soon so I'll have to make that call again..
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junknstuff View Post
    Haven't had time to call back, but I'm leaving out of the country soon so I'll have to make that call again..
    I called back the other day. The tech told me that the SIM is already unlocked.

    If not, I guess she'll be doing a long-distance tech support call with me in the middle somehow. hehe
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  11. #36  
    rexrcr's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

    Default SIM Successfully Unlocked

    VZW Global Services (908-559-4899) gave me the MEP code to unlock my SIM. I stayed on the line with the Global Services rep through the whole process...had him call the land line in my hotel room so that we could work on my cell phone. Also, I made sure to install the sim from the other carrier (Singtel) before going through this process.

    My DInc2 is working on Singtel in Singapore using one of their prepaid "HiCard" sims. The MEP code was entered under Setting/Security/Disable sim card lock. Once the correct code was entered, the phone rebooted and connected to Singtel.

    Once the phone was unlocked, everything worked except the 3G data/internet, so I had to manually enter the correct APN information. Once the APN information was in, the data connection started working as well. I had to enter information in the following fields to get the data working: Name, APN, username, password. The information for these fields is specific to the carrier (in this case, Singtel)and was available on the internet. Please note that the APN setting appear to be unique for each carrier, so I don't think that VZW Global Services can help with APN information.

    As a side note - Before traveIling, I had spoken to the regular customer service people, but they did not have the knowledge needed to get me up and running overseas. They started talking about PUK codes and PINs that did not help at all. I think that the unlock process is easier accomplished when you're already overseas, so that you can see the phone connect with the carrier for whatever sim card you're using.
    Thanked by 3:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

    Default

    Thank you for the detailed explanation, rexrcr. I feel more comfortable now that I understand the process better. Travel safely!
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  13. #38  
    ahmadveg's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    SkyRaider Zeus 1.3

    Default

    has anyone had any luck? id like to call and have them unlock it or even go to the store. not really traveling right now just hate the restrictions and does anyone know where i can get another carriers sim card to put in (orange, vodaphone, etc)? id like to play with it here before heading anywhere
  14. #39  

    Default

    Has anyone confirmed that an unlocked phone will not work on ATT or TMobile? My boyfriend really wants this phone but he is on ATT. Before I go and buy this phone I want to know if it will even work for him.

    Thanks so much
  15. #40  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,577 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,729 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default

    It most likely will but don't expect to get 3g this device. Will be gprs edge only doesn't have the correct 3g bands
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  16. #41  

    Default

    I've unlocked three phones with Verizon: Storm 1, Storm 2, and Droid 2 Global. You don't have to give them a reason. I didn't. I e-mailed Global Services and the rep called me back the next day. They explain that you have to read Verizon's disclosure statement and waiver. It basically says that Verizon isn't responsible for the performance of the phone while using another carrier's SIM card. The rep e-mailed me the unlocking code and instructions. Voila. The phone is unlocked.

    I have a global sim card from GeoSim. I like it because it is dual NAM and has both a UK and USA phone number. The USA service roams on AT&T and T-Mobile. It works in my BlackBerry, but the Droid 2 will not connect to AT&T or T-Mobile. I would also to like to find out if this is the case with the Incredible 2.
  17. #42  

    Default

    I tried this on a TM US sim and its not picking up a signal, I working on getting an AT&T sim to try that.

    Edit: I got it to work! In the settings/call section you have to choose GSM/UMTS as the preffered network and TMobile kicked in!!!

    Edit2: For data goto settings/wireless/mobile networks/GSM/UMTS Options/Access Point Names hit menu and add APN then edit the settings for Simple Mobile this is what worked:

    name:simple
    APN: simple
    proxy: 216.155.165.50
    port: 8080
    username: not set
    password: not set
    server: not set
    mmsc: http//mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    mms proxy: 216.155.165.50
    mms port: 8080
    mms protocol: WAP 2.0
    mcc: 310
    mnc: 260
    authentication type: none
    APN: default,supl,mms
    Last edited by cellfonepimp; 06-07-2011 at 12:07 PM.
  18. #43  

    Default

    dinc2 can work on AT&T?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logee91 View Post
    dinc2 can work on AT&T?
    never tried it, but everyone else has said "no."
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Unlocking the SIM card

    I just unlocked my DI2 today. Plugged in my Geosim global roaming card. And my entire phone took a dump. I couldn't even connect to the standard CDMA network in Global mode. When I unlocked my D2G, I couldn't connect to AT&T or T-Mo, but the phone worked. Not sure what's up here.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

    Default

    Was support at any of your service providers any help?


    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Unlocking the SIM card

    I haven't called yet. I'll see how the phone performs when I'm abroad and report back.
  23. #48  

    Default Unlocking HTC Incredible 2 Phone/SIM Card

    Hi, everyone. I called Verizon's Global Support earlier tonight (around 5:30pm est) and the customer support agent told me that they were not supposed to unlock phones. First, I asked about unlocking my phone (Incredible 2) and he said that they didn't know how to do that. Then I was told that it didn't have a SIM card, although I was holding it in my hand. "It's taboo around here," he said, after I convinced him that it's a global phone and it does have a SIM card. I confirmed the fact that they just didn't want customers jumping ship to other carriers with their phones.

    Anyway, the agent told me that Verizon has an agreement with manufacturers (HTC in this case) that states that it will break their policy if they unlock any phones/SIM cards. Now this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of this, which makes me think that the agent is lying. I also qualify for the unlock according to the 'normal' agents, so this is confusing. I plan on calling back to speak with a different agent to see if their stories match, but until I do that, does anyone know how to unlock this phone and/or SIM card?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

    Default Re: Unlocking the SIM card

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultranius View Post
    Hi, everyone. I called Verizon's Global Support earlier tonight (around 5:30pm est) and the customer support agent told me that they were not supposed to unlock phones. First, I asked about unlocking my phone (Incredible 2) and he said that they didn't know how to do that. Then I was told that it didn't have a SIM card, although I was holding it in my hand. "It's taboo around here," he said, after I convinced him that it's a global phone and it does have a SIM card. I confirmed the fact that they just didn't want customers jumping ship to other carriers with their phones.

    Anyway, the agent told me that Verizon has an agreement with manufacturers (HTC in this case) that states that it will break their policy if they unlock any phones/SIM cards. Now this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of this, which makes me think that the agent is lying. I also qualify for the unlock according to the 'normal' agents, so this is confusing. I plan on calling back to speak with a different agent to see if their stories match, but until I do that, does anyone know how to unlock this phone and/or SIM card?
    Tell the first rep that you want to talk to Global Support. The first tier reps have no power when it comes to global customers.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Unlocking the SIM card

    Hi, TBolt. The first Verizon Rep gave me the number to Global Support. The rep from Global Support told me that they're not supposed to unlock the phones, which I didn't believe for one second. Any ideas?


    Quote Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
    Tell the first rep that you want to talk to Global Support. The first tier reps have no power when it comes to global customers.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions