Unlocking the SIM card

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if there has ever been an official requirements list but I recall that you need to be a customer for a min of 3 months and your acct must be in good standing

The rep I spoke to said to me "let me pull up the list of requirements" and then proceded to read them to me one by one. Let me add that another rep had never heard of unlocking. I have found that if the answer is not simple you have to make several calls to get the correct one..

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I believe you had to be a good paying customer for at least 3 months. You cant have had another phone unlocked in the past year. I asked about unlocking 2 phones with different numbers on my family share plan and was told I could.

So, I think you're saying that one CAN have 2 phones, or even just the SIM cards, unlocked - just as long as they are part of the same family plan. That works for me.

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So, I think you're saying that one CAN have 2 phones, or even just the SIM cards, unlocked - just as long as they are part of the same family plan. That works for me.

Thats what I was told. But as I said before, sometimes you have to call twice.

Reactions: TBolt

miles_prower

May 4, 2011
Visit site
To disable the SIM card lock so you can use non-Verizon SIM cards in your Dinc2:

1. Call Verizon Global Support at 908-559-4899. Most of the reps at regular Support (*611) do not know how to disable SIM lock.

2. Once you give Global Support your phone number, they can look up the MEID/ESN of your phone from your account data and issue an MEP unlock code immediately.

3. Once you have your unlock code, on your Dinc2, go to Home|Settings|Security|Disable SIM card lock and type in your code.

4. Swap out the SIM card for a non-Verizon SIM.

5. Go to Home|Settings|Call|Preferred Network and select GSM/UMTS Mode.

Last edited:

miles_prower

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The Motorola Droid2 Global from Verizon is BAND LOCKED to prohibit use of an AT&T or T-mobile sim in the GSM side of the phone.

With the Incredible 2, has Verizon put similar restrictions on the GSM side of the phone? Although it can be SIM unlocked, is the phone band restricted to prohibit use on AT&T or T-mobile?
!

My AT&T SIM card (pulled from my iPhone) will not work in my unlocked Dinc2. I get zero bars of signal and an error about "network unavailable" (or something like that).

On the other hand, my Virgin Mobile SIM card works fine in my Dinc2, and I get both voice and data with it. BTW, with the Virgin Mobile SIM card, the phone states T-Mobile is the network provider (as expected). My TIM and Orange SIM cards work too.

Unfortunately, I don't have a T-Mobile SIM card to test if my Dinc2 will work on T-Mobile directly.

EDIT: I should state that all of these tests were done in the U.S. I have not yet tried my AT&T SIM card in my Dinc2 while roaming outside of the U.S. In my unlocked Verizon Touch Pro 2, the same AT&T SIM card works fine inside the U.S. as well as when I'm traveling abroad. Now that Verizon no longer offers an unlimited international data plan, I use my AT&T SIM card when I don't have time to pick up a local prepay SIM. AT&T's international data rates, which used to be wicked expensive, are currently much cheaper than Verizon's.

mamuco

May 4, 2011
Visit site
To disable the SIM card lock so you can use non-Verizon SIM cards in your Dinc2:

1. Call Verizon Global Support at 908-559-4899. Most of the reps at regular Support (*611) do not know how to disable SIM lock.

2. Once you give Global Support your phone number, they can look up the MEID/ESN of your phone from your account data and issue an MEP unlock code immediately.

3. Once you have your unlock code, on your Dinc2, go to Home|Settings|Security|Disable SIM card lock and type in your code.

Exactly what I did. The rep had me read the sim card number to her (from the phone settings) and then issued the code which I entered to unlock the sim card.

junknstuff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I did. The rep had me read the sim card number to her (from the phone settings) and then issued the code which I entered to unlock the sim card.

so then what did they do for me exactly? is my sim not unlocked such that i can use a local sim carrier when im out of the US?

crspy

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So this phone will work on all international networks and even T-mobile/ATT in the US? This might change my decision on keeping this phone instead of getting the Charge. (Don't have a sim to check and I'm not going out of the country for a few months)

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Like mamuco, this is exactly what I did. Have been a VZW customer for years, though, and they've unlocked several blackberries for me, so I guess I'm a good risk for them. The agent at the Global Support desk transferred me to a Global technician to get the unlock code. Took about five minutes, and I didn't need to know my current SIM ID - just my current phone number. Without a global unlimited data rate available to us anymore, having local data access is much more important now. Used to be $69/month unlimited, but now, as the agent described to me, it's $100 for 70MB. Ouch.

I'm using a Vodafone UK SIM right now. If you are doing for the first time, be sure to know what APN's you need and how to enter them when you arrive so you can use the data networks (a google search for the local carrier and "APN" should do it). As a long-time CDMA customer, I wasn't aware of this the first time I tried to use data on a local SIM, and I had to go to a physical store for help. If you know the APN's and have your phone unlocked, you can pick up a SIM card out of a vending machine when you arrive.

Plus, I love the phone. I am familiar with the original Incredible, and I've used an original Droid, a Galaxy Tab, and Aria/Liberty personally, and I'm really pleased with the speed, camera, battery life, and even the stock UI on the Inc2. With the Incredible S getting 2.3 today, I'm hoping that we're not far behind on the Inc2.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I knew that sounded way too easy, them saying they are remotely unlocking it....

Anywho, glad to hear though that these can be unlocked and looks like I will be doing mine as soon as I get it too

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Haven't had time to call back, but I'm leaving out of the country soon so I'll have to make that call again..

I called back the other day. The tech told me that the SIM is already unlocked.

If not, I guess she'll be doing a long-distance tech support call with me in the middle somehow. hehe

rexrcr

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
SIM Successfully Unlocked

VZW Global Services (908-559-4899) gave me the MEP code to unlock my SIM. I stayed on the line with the Global Services rep through the whole process...had him call the land line in my hotel room so that we could work on my cell phone. Also, I made sure to install the sim from the other carrier (Singtel) before going through this process.

My DInc2 is working on Singtel in Singapore using one of their prepaid "HiCard" sims. The MEP code was entered under Setting/Security/Disable sim card lock. Once the correct code was entered, the phone rebooted and connected to Singtel.

Once the phone was unlocked, everything worked except the 3G data/internet, so I had to manually enter the correct APN information. Once the APN information was in, the data connection started working as well. I had to enter information in the following fields to get the data working: Name, APN, username, password. The information for these fields is specific to the carrier (in this case, Singtel)and was available on the internet. Please note that the APN setting appear to be unique for each carrier, so I don't think that VZW Global Services can help with APN information.

As a side note - Before traveIling, I had spoken to the regular customer service people, but they did not have the knowledge needed to get me up and running overseas. They started talking about PUK codes and PINs that did not help at all. I think that the unlock process is easier accomplished when you're already overseas, so that you can see the phone connect with the carrier for whatever sim card you're using.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the detailed explanation, rexrcr. I feel more comfortable now that I understand the process better. Travel safely!

ahmadveg

May 16, 2011
Visit site
has anyone had any luck? id like to call and have them unlock it or even go to the store. not really traveling right now just hate the restrictions :) and does anyone know where i can get another carriers sim card to put in (orange, vodaphone, etc)? id like to play with it here before heading anywhere

angelita1212

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone confirmed that an unlocked phone will not work on ATT or TMobile? My boyfriend really wants this phone but he is on ATT. Before I go and buy this phone I want to know if it will even work for him.

Thanks so much

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It most likely will but don't expect to get 3g this device. Will be gprs edge only doesn't have the correct 3g bands