Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery life thread

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    see this is what i have a problem with. there is nothing wrong with the battery life. its not like the thunderbolt where it should come with an extended battery. you should have just bought one if you want the extra charge.
    Lets be fair. That's all opinion. Your usage shouldn't be the gold standard of what people can do with their phones.

This phone might have good battery life compared to other Androids. But for someone like me coming from a BlackBerry, it's downright terrible.

However, now that problem will be solved for me, my phone is just now as thick as my BlackBerry was

yes and all smartphone's battery life in comparison with a flip phone are horrific. you said yourself it depends on your usage. sometimes it last sometimes it doesn't.

the problem is you are coming into android with expectations. its a completely different platform. you can't hold it to the same standard.
    I expect a cell phone to last a day. I expect to be able to use features I am constantly seeing advertised and still be able to make a call without having to plug it in, it's a cell phone, not a land line.

Anyway, I will end my responses with this so the thread can get back on topic. It's all a matter of opinion, I just don't understand why you have such a problem ("see this is what i have a problem with") with how others use their phone. So you use your phone less than me so it lasts longer, big deal. I was just posting to help others who may have similar usage patterns to myself, and looking back through the posts, there are others.

i have no problem with your opinion of the battery life. i have a problem with you not sucking it up and BUYING an extended battery. instead you whined until they GAVE you one.
    I said I wouldn’t post but I for some reason need to respond to the fact you have so many problems with what other people do, that doesn’t effect you. And obviously, your tone and phrasing is just so pleasant.

Listen, I am personally happy I got it for free, and for the reasons I have mentioned feel it is warranted for free. But again, you don’t since you are the cell phone usage police. Clearly, you are able to determine what the correct usage of a cell phone is for everybody, thank god we have you. That aside, I am happy when I can get anything for free or a good deal. Sorry I didn’t “suck it up” and pay for something I could get for free, I am such a dummy. I could have paid for it, obviously a better decision. I hope you don’t lose any sleep over people getting deals on stuff.

My advice to you is to improve your own life so you don’t spend your time worrying about what others are doing and making comments coming down on them on the internet. I simply posted to help others out who are in similar positions. That’s what these forums are for, helping each other and exchanging information. I really can’t comprehend why you have such a problem with it, nobody is effecting your life.

Good day

Quote Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
    For those interested I just got a free extended battery from Verizon after complaining like an abuse housewife.
    no it isn't affecting my life. and i do understand the value of getting something for free. like buy one get one or something. i just don't get trying to make something free. and i can understand if you called customer support and said "look i'm coming from a blackberry and this wasn't what i expected. can you help me out"

but "complaining like an abused housewife"... that's where i find this issue.

and yes this forum is about sharing knowledge and information. but encouraging people to call Verizon and complain till they get what they want isn't cool. if even 10% of the forum community did that it would be too much. cuz what do you think happens when Verizon's bottom line comes up short after giving things away for free. They jack up rates and add more hidden fees.

Fully charged Saturday 11:50pm, and didn't have to charge again until 1:30am, Sunday! With moderate use, syncing on, and wifi turned on.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Well I've had my Inc.2 for about 4 days & the batt. Is absolutely incredible.... 28 hrs & still 40 % with moderate to heavy usage ... That's even better than my old bb days... Iam more than happy with the inc.2

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    Fully charged Saturday 11:50pm, and didn't have to charge again until 1:30am, Sunday! With moderate use, syncing on, and wifi turned on.
    Wow! An hour and 40 minutes? That is awesome! Lol I am sure one of those times is wrong because I doubt that it lasted you less than 2 hours. Haha.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABQNM View Post
    Wow! An hour and 40 minutes? That is awesome! Lol I am sure one of those times is wrong because I doubt that it lasted you less than 2 hours. Haha.

LoL, good catch.

For anyone wondering. My extended battery has been great. I have adjusted to the added bulk quickly and can not seem to drain it within a day.

I've been at work all day so I guess you could call it light use. But I'm at 50% with 10 hours and some change. I'm not too impressed. Maybe I've got a defective bat? My 14 days is up Thursday, maybe I should take it in.

This morning my battery dropped to 89% just sitting there while i got ready for work. Wasnt even off the charger for an hour...

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pger555 View Post
    This morning my battery dropped to 89% just sitting there while i got ready for work. Wasnt even off the charger for an hour...
    Funny you should mention that. Mine did the same thing today. Now I expect it to drop to maybe 95 sometimes because of the fact that it stops charging when full and it can run down some. This morning was different. After I saw this I checked my favorite app, CPU Spy. It showed that my phone was not going to deep sleep. It would only go down to 245MHz. The only thing I did different last night was I used the dock mode for the clock overnight. While in dock mode, I expect it not to go to deep sleep, but it seems that when I exited dock mode it somehow did not release wake lock and the phone couldn't sleep. A simple reboot fixed the issue.

I had observed similar behavior at various times with the Droid X when in its dock mode. I think sometimes apps just don't release wake lock when exited sometimes and it will cause a higher drain. I highly recommend CPU Spy to be able to monitor the time spent in each cpu state. It will not tell you what is using the cpu but it will give you a great starting point. It is free in the market.

I installed CPU spy. It seems like its sleeping properly with deep sleep at 84%. I'm going to reset and monitor for the next 24 hours. I just don't see how people can get over a day and a half of battery with this thing. "Light use" must be a pretty loose term....

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    I pray my first day battery life isn't indicative of what the daily use will be like I know batteries get better after a few charges but man I haven't seen a phone drop from 70% to 40 in a half hour unless I was really hammering it but I wasn't I barely used the thing had it sitting while I for ready for work. I'll five it a good charge tonight and see how it does tomorrow
    Have you changed it to CDMA mode? Settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > preferred mode > change to CDMA. Most users find this a big battery life increase. No need to have the gsm radio active in the US.

I've barely touched my phone today since one been busy at work. Same situation, phone off charger at 630 am now its 3:00 and I'm at 81%. According to battery use, the dialer has been using 26% of the battery.... That makes no sense since I have not made or recieved any calls what so ever.....

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pger555 View Post
    I've barely touched my phone today since one been busy at work. Same situation, phone off charger at 630 am now its 3:00 and I'm at 81%. According to battery use, the dialer has been using 26% of the battery.... That makes no sense since I have not made or recieved any calls what so ever.....
    The dialer in battery manager includes more than one package including your contacts sync. It uses data periodically when checking for updates. If you have very low screen usage time the dialer should be the highest as it is using data. Cell standby can also sometimes be higher if you have low signal but realistically the dialer will be up top if your screen has barely been used.

Right now on mine I have 15 hours and am at 82% but today I have been on wifi most of the day. Your battery seems about right for entirely 3g. Maybe a little low but it could be an app using data. Sometimes apps don't accurately report their usage in the battery manager.

Ok thanks. I've had mobile network off all day also. I'm not sure if that would make a difference for the dialer grabbing data??? And I'm sure the bloat is also eating a lot of battery life. I need to do some more reading on rooting and a temp root and freeze is in the very near future for this

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I go 50+ hours with heavy usage and using the 2150mah from Verizon. I must be doing something right.

I read through as much of this thread as I could stand, and I want to post my experience here. Please note: I can't tell you how many hours it's been since I unplugged, I have better things to do with my life. The DINC2 is a tool, and it's a wonderful tool, by far the best smartphone I've ever had - EXCEPT for the battery life, which is affected by the fact that I live in an area with a crappy Verizon signal.

I've had the phone since May, about 3 months. It was an upgrade from a Samsung Saga running Windows Mobile 6.1. On the Samsung, I used to be able to go 3-4 days between charges, and be confident that when I wanted to use the phone, it would work; my usage was light because WinMobile 6.x is a relatively clumsy interface. I make almost no phone calls and I don't text; I mainly use the phone for internet surfing, and games when I'm waiting for something. My phone usage is up somewhat from the Samsung because the dinc2 is more fun to use. But it's too often the case that when I want to use it, it needs charging.

The most I've been able to get out of the dinc2 battery is a day and a half, which means it's always dying at some really inconvenient time. I did the "full charge" routine to condition the battery for probably a week. As far as I can tell it had no effect. I finally gave up and just plug the damn thing in every night. I've never had to do that with another phone. The only alternative to this is to put the phone in Airplane Mode all the time, and turn Airplane Mode off when I want to use the network; it's the network that eats the battery as far as I can tell. I run brightness at the lowest level (unless I'm outdoors), I turn the display off manually when I'm done using it. I don't run "bloatware" - I run nothing that I don't actually use.

I would like to know if the extended battery is worth the money. I'm willing to pay for things that will make my life easier; from what I've read in this thread, the battery life I've seen on this phone is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL given I live in a low signal area.
    hedera
    Nature bats last.

Ive become trained to charge every night. not that big of a deal

And for the hours since unplugged, its a simple readout on the battery use tab in about phone....
    Thanked by:

Two questions about battery life -

1.Do different themes have different effects on battery life?
    I've been using the default HTC Sense theme since getting my Inc2 a few weeks ago but switched to the Slate theme this morning. In a few hours time I've seen far less battery drain just with the phone being idle.

2. Does pulling the SIM card do anything for battery life?
    As soon as I got the phone I set it to use CDMA for the preferred network. My prior BlackBerry Storm and Tour had a similar setting but I was always told that pulling the card would further improve battery life. I've done it on my Inc2 but I'm just wondering if it really has any effect on this phone or not?

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    ROM
    SkyRaider Zeus 1.1.1

First time getting a real look at battery life on this thing.

The Inc2 is a total of 3 weeks old. Just rooted it yesterday and it's running SkyRaider Zeus ROM. Left it plugged in USB after the rooting was done, once it got to 100 I erased battery stats, rebooted and pulled the phone off the charger around 8:30pm wednesday. I got home earlier tonight, it had drained all the way until dying. . .

1 day, 3 hours, 40 minutes, 35 seconds

Display 55%
    Dialer 18%
    Voice Calls 9%
    Cell standby 8%
    Phone Idle 6%
    GO SMS Pro 2%
    Market 2%

I would consider this average-high usage. Constantly texting, phone calls here and there, checking Twitter, using a lot of Market, light E-mail, decent amount of Browser use. I messed around with tethering a little bit but GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth all unused. Mostly a dim screen except for a few hours of outdoor use. I slept/didn't use the phone) a total of 8 of the hours i'd say.

Looking forward to seeing if things get even better, I came from a Droid2 that would have died THREE times by now. So impressed. I used the built-in task manager to stop apps a bit too much on this charge, I am going to try and just let the ROM handle them running (like I probably should) and see how battery life is. I imagine it will be the same if not better.
    ahmadveg likes this.

ROM
    Currently Stock w/ Root

I can use my phone moderately with GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, All Animations, Brightness 100%, & Screen timeout 45 secs-1min all on and get 8-10 hrs use easily.

But since I've been using Juice Defender I am pleased to say I have been getting 12-14 hrs everyday with moderate to high use!!

Can't remember if I've answered this, but my battery will last two whole days.

ROM
    Stock - Unrooted for now.

Just got My Dinc 2 yesterday. Decided to see how long the battery would last on my device unrooted, unmodified, no extended battery. With my own average daily use with some usage that was not so average for me. (phone calls)

Ended the day with 14%

1d 1h 8m 43s on battey

Voice Calls - 36% - 1h 52m in phone calls
    Display - 35% (brightness below 25%)
    Android System - 10%
    Cell Standby - 6%
    Phone Idle 5%
    Wi-Fi - 4%
    Dialer - 3%
    Bluetooth - 1% (turned on by accident)

Although it isn't showing it, there was about 1 hours worth of music streaming with the Tune In Radio app.There was my usual email and web page use (10-15 web pages, sub 100 emails) as well. Overall for an android device (my second) I'm very impressed with the battery life, especially when I haven't even calibrated it yet.

Definitely happy with this phone since I had to deal with a thunderbolt for 2 days prior.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I have been getting great battery life with my phone but I am wondering why the Dialer is using so much power and also what is/uses the dialer? I would think that it is the screen where you enter numbers to make a phone call but why would that use more battery than the actual phone calls? Here is what my phone is at right now and I have 45% battery left:

1d 3h 28m on battery

Display 35%
    Dialer 23%
    Wi-Fi 11%
    Cell Standby 11%
    Phone Idle 9%
    Voice calls 9%
    Maps 2%

Thanks

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jab0321 View Post
    I have been getting great battery life with my phone but I am wondering why the Dialer is using so much power and also what is/uses the dialer? I would think that it is the screen where you enter numbers to make a phone call but why would that use more battery than the actual phone calls? Here is what my phone is at right now and I have 45% battery left:

1d 3h 28m on battery

Display 35%
    Dialer 23%
    Wi-Fi 11%
    Cell Standby 11%
    Phone Idle 9%
    Voice calls 9%
    Maps 2%

Thanks
    The dialer is actually tricky. It is used when you are making calls so the battery life is shared with the voice calls and it also contains the contacts sync. All data used by the contacts sync and iirc the calendar sync as well are a part of dialer. It is a sense thing. That is perfectly normal battery life and balance.

Thanked by:

ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

Okay, i keep wifi, gps on and have a weatherclock that checks hourly for updates.

I had the usual use, phone calls 25 minutes using google navigator. Phone was unplugged at 5:46 the morning and its 7:52pm.

Display 20%
    Voice Calls 11%
    Wi-Fi 10%
    Android System 9%
    Cell Standby 8%
    Maps 8%
    phone idle 7%

Battery up for 14h 7m 38s

5125547 uah used.

i'm at 23% batter life. I find that not to bad for using gps navigator for 25 minutes.
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast