N / S reversed on Maps?

bdemarco

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I've found three reports of this problem, which seems to affect my Inc 2. When using Google Maps, the compass (based on the magnetometer) reverses N/S. Amusingly, E/W is correct. If I move around enough, such that Maps can determine my orientation using velocity-based GPS, then the problem is fixed (until I sit still for long enough, and the magnetometer takes over again).

The magnetometer itself seems OK. For example, the app "Compass" detects N correctly.

Two others have reported this problem, which I also found on the demo unit in my local corporate store. The problem also seems to affect Google Earth and Sky.

Can anyone else verify this behavior on their Inc2?

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I seem to remember needing to initialize the compass on my Eris by moving the phone in a figure 8 while the mag is on. Also, any compass readings in a car or office will probably be off.

celt75

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing the exact same problems with my Incredible 2. The N/S is reversed, and the E/W is correct in Google Maps and Google Sky. I've tried calibrating it without any change. The Compass app appears to work just fine.

sashazur

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happening to me

In google maps and in sky map, n/s is reversed.

But my compass works fine, and I did try recalibrating.

Last week I called VZW and reported the problem; they called me back a day later and confirmed they found it on all Inc 2's.

The rep said they would report the problem to HTC who would presumably fix it in a software update.

templetonryecy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In google maps and in sky map, n/s is reversed.

But my compass works fine, and I did try recalibrating.

Last week I called VZW and reported the problem; they called me back a day later and confirmed they found it on all Inc 2's.

The rep said they would report the problem to HTC who would presumably fix it in a software update.

Having the same issue. This sucks.

Anyone find a workaround? I swear I got it to work somehow the other day for a little bit but don't remember what I did.

bdemarco

May 5, 2011
Visit site
no workaround...

Having the same issue. This sucks.

Anyone find a workaround? I swear I got it to work somehow the other day for a little bit but don't remember what I did.

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They do not yet have it logged in their system as a known issue. But, I was able to convince a second-level tier tech to grab a test unit. That unit has the same problem, and the tech went off to report to HTC. So, I think Sashazur is right that all units have this problem, and it will have to be corrected with an update. I suspect that this information has not been passed around to all the techs yet, since Sashazur and I had to go through the same dance with them.

bdemarco

May 5, 2011
Visit site
GPS lock

Most of the time GPS lock is fast for me; sometimes it is a bit slower than the original Inc. I did verify that issue as a "known problem" with the 2nd tier Verizon tech.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2