Considering a HTC Droid Incredbile 2

johnnyxvii

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi, first-time poster here.

I am considering purchasing a HTC Droid Incredible 2 at retail price from Verizon. I do this because I don't wish to be locked into a 2-year contract with them. Will I be able to jump to other carriers with this phone? Would any features be unavailable for some reason?

I also have the choice of bringing a HTC Incredible S (the international name) from overseas. From what I've researched, the only difference is it would be lacking CDMA support.

Thanks for any help.

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would think that in the US, you won't be able to us it with any carrier if you buy it from Verizon themselves because that phone would be "locked" to them. If you want to use it on any other carrier, I believe you would have to purchase and "unlocked" version of the phone.

Now, I don't know if buying an unlocked version would still give the ability to use it on other carriers. You can buy an unlocked Inc S on Amazon for $569. But again, it may not get you on a US carrier. I'm not 100% sure on how unlocked phones work in the US.

If you want to use it on other carriers, DON'T buy from Verizon.

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I would think that in the US, you won't be able to us it with any carrier if you buy it from Verizon themselves because that phone would be "locked" to them. If you want to use it on any other carrier, I believe you would have to purchase and "unlocked" version of the phone.

Now, I don't know if buying an unlocked version would still give the ability to use it on other carriers. You can buy an unlocked Inc S on Amazon for $569. But again, it may not get you on a US carrier. I'm not 100% sure on how unlocked phones work in the US.

If you want to use it on other carriers, DON'T buy from Verizon.

If you meet certain requirements Verizon WILL unlock the phone. Don't let any sales rep at a store tell you otherwise. It is even an option under one of the 611 menus.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think you're better off with the unlocked Incredible S if you want to use a GSM carrier in the US. I know this was discussed here when the DINC2 first came out and if I recall Verizon will unlock the GSM side of the phone for you but they've pre-programmed the phone not accept any SIM cards from AT&T or T-MobileUSA . :-\

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you're better off with the unlocked Incredible S if you want to use a GSM carrier in the US. I know this was discussed here when the DINC2 first came out and if I recall Verizon will unlock the GSM side of the phone for you but they've pre-programmed the phone not accept any SIM cards from AT&T or T-MobileUSA . :-\

Yeah I've read some where that if you call in to their customer service, if you give them a good enough reason to unlock it, they'll do it. But I've only read that working if you are going to be traveling abroad, not staying in the US and wanting to use it on another carrier.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The phone has been unlocked by other owners and used on the other US GSM networks, both voice and data(after correct APNs configured) on their EDGE networks, no access to 3G since the radios do not support those bands

johnnyxvii

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know of the various frequencies used in US and what they mean? This would help anyone who purchased a phone internationally and wants to bring it to the US.

Here's what I've learned from this thread and Google:

GSM:
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (I think this is voice and 2G data?)
HSPA/WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz (3G data?)
HSPA+: ? (4G data?)

CDMA:
CDMA1X: 800/1900/2400 MHz (2G?)
CDMA EVDO: 800/1900 MHz (3G?)
LTE-TD: 700 MHz (4g?)

It'd be great if someone could check for mistakes and fill in anything that might be missing. Or maybe it'd be better to write it according to the 4 big carriers?

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T and T-Mobile use the same frequencies for GSM and EDGE, that's pretty much standard internationally

3G

T-Mobile: 1700 MHz/2100MHz
AT&T: 850 MHz/1900 MHz

Their "4G", rides on those same frequencies as well

So buy a phone overseas that supports what frequencies you want to use with that US provider

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a HTC Droid Incredible 2 at retail price from Verizon. I do this because I don't wish to be locked into a 2-year contract with them. .

Be thankful. Most (if not all) smartphone contracts on Canadian carriers are 3 years (or cough up full retail, which as far as I know is also higher then US).

Let me know how the Inc2 works for you. I'm considering that same phone (coming from older blackberry)

Littlewolf56

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Be thankful. Most (if not all) smartphone contracts on Canadian carriers are 3 years (or cough up full retail, which as far as I know is also higher then US).

Let me know how the Inc2 works for you. I'm considering that same phone (coming from older blackberry)

I think you'll like the DInc2. I had the BB Storm2 and went to the HTC T-Bolt. Kept it 2 weeks and then back to the BB. Reason why? Awful battery life, no working NFL Mobile App, too many 4G network issues! I waited and now have the DInc2 and LOVE IT!!! Issues I mentioned don't exist, but most if all the difference in "screen size" is most noticeable! T-Bolt has a 4.3" screen and the DInc2 has a 4" screen. You'd be amazed at how that slight difference down in overall size makes one-handed use of my phone much easier!!!

Reactions: dancing-bass

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks LittleWolf. I prefer a smaller device (I had the BB Pearl 8130) but seeing as I'm moving into a more multimedia list of wants/needs I realize I need a bigger screen. (and no, I'm not going to look at i-Crap.) Tried out a friend's 8530, that size felt ok, but way too light. Can't way to try out the Inc2 in person (no HSPA in my area yet... so I gotta wait)

The only way I'll skip the Inc2 is if there is a "better" phone for my wants/needs when HSPA rolls out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781