Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Default Text message from Verizon 6250

Since I got my new Incredible 2 everytime I get an email to my yahoo account I get a text message from Verizon that just says 6250 and VWMN x, with x being the number of emails I have. It only appears in the notification screen at the top.

There is never anything actually in my text messages, and it doesnot open into anything more. But I have to actually drop down the box and clear it manually or it doesn't go away. Unlike the actual Email, if I read it from the widget the notification goes awaybut the 6250 text does not.

No one else seeing this?

btw, I have used the stock messenger, and now am using GoSms pro, same issue no difference.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I have had the same problem. It is a Verizon issue (even though they claim to know nothing about it). My phone was also constantly trying to sync mail, slowed it down to a crawl. I solved the problem by deleting my accounts I set in the stock email app & began using the gmail app. I set up gmail to also retrieve mail from my hotmail & roadrunner accounts, so I have all mail through one source. There are also a lot of tips in this thread from another forum: " Text Message notifcation for New Email? - Android Forums ". Your message program doesn't matter, except in GoSms you can "blacklist" 6250 so you don't get all those annoying messages. Hope this helps

I think it has something to do with the Backup Assistant service. Did you use that service?

Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post
    Since I got my new Incredible 2 everytime I get an email to my yahoo account I get a text message from Verizon that just says 6250 and VWMN x, with x being the number of emails I have. It only appears in the notification screen at the top.

There is never anything actually in my text messages, and it doesnot open into anything more. But I have to actually drop down the box and clear it manually or it doesn't go away. Unlike the actual Email, if I read it from the widget the notification goes awaybut the 6250 text does not.

No one else seeing this?

btw, I have used the stock messenger, and now am using GoSms pro, same issue no difference.
    It's the stock email/ messenger sync...I switched to k9 and mail droid. also use handcent for SMS........issue resolved.

I been scratching my head on this one for a while now! I thought it was being caused by shady sms that I have downloaded on my phone. Guess its not. I need to email the dev to let him know it this info I'm reading here.

For me however, after I receive that exact SMS stated above, I get an error MMS force close reading. I dont know if this is the same thing you all are getting.

I have the same problem on my Incredible 2. I'll receive a text from 6250 whenever I an email is received. The problem actually comes from the SMS popup service/app that I have. when I removed the sms popup app I no longer receive the notification text messages. It's odd. I'm not sure why the email will trigger the SMS pop up app to open and think that it was a text received...

I don't use stock messenger and I was getting those text messages. Per Verizon's instruction I got rid of the back up assistant. I still got the 6250 text messages. I blacklisted the number using handcents and the text messages stopped!

i found out that it has to do with your sync'd mail other than your initial gmail set up. Its a flaw text message that I have reported to verizon. Theres much more info on it on Androidforums.com. A quick DINC2 search will pull it up

Default Re: Text message from Verizon 6250

It is not a phone specific issue -- I have spent over 4 hours with Verizon techs about this isue and have gotten responses ranging from 'you're wack we don't just sent sms messages without more info' to more informative , albeit non-resolving answers. After some research by Techs it appears that this comes from a section/code/computer whatever that handles backup+sync (supposedly an app - that however I have never seen) one tech 'uninstalled the claimed issue app (as I used to get these messages 2-10x / day without attempting e-mail (account) settings --- that action did stop the regular messages from coming in , however also stopped secondary e-mail accounts from being usable and stopped google account from notifications and syncing - - now as I get totally varied and useless (as well as one very arrogant) responses it appears to me that Verizon still has not truly identified this as an issue and has no organized plan / action in place yet --- everyone effected needs to contact 611 - opt 3 (tech support) and provide them with an earful as well as possible the information I have provided here - maybe we will get someone to do more than provide lip-service and apologies.
    Last edited by MrOpinion; 01-07-2012 at 02:38 AM.

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Go to my Verizon website and under the options for your phone turn off back-up assistant. It is Verizon trying to communicate with that program. Most root users run into this when they start running custom ROMS that have all the VZW bloat removed, I'm not 100% sure why any one running stock would have this problem unless you haven't updated your PRL recently because there is a new version of back up manager being pushed to your phone when you do. So dial *228 choose option 2 and then once you are done with that go to your online account and remove my backup as part of your services. In order to ensure your contact's information is saved either go into your people app and save them all as Google contacts, or go to your Google page on a full computer and add all of your contacts there then delete all phone contacts off your device and display only Google contacts.

ROM
    Cyan7

I'm getting this message even though I'm not signed up for Backup Assistant.

This just started happening with my Samsung Stratosphere about 4 am today. I went to my Verizon page, went to the change features button. Scroll down to Contact Management and you will probably see something called Backup Assistant Plus. It is a free thing that Verizon put on my account. I have no recollection of authorizing this. Remove the app by clicking on the Remove button. Finish out the screens and it will tell you it was removed. This stopped the 6250 text messages from coming. Later on today however, my yahoo email account wouldn't sync in the pre-installed email app on my phone and reset my counter to zero. I went through the steps of clearing out the settings for my email account and set it up again in the pre-installed email app. Lo and behold, the 6250 text messages started coming again. Repeated the steps to remove the Backup Assistant Plus and will not use the email app any more. I will stick to using my browser to get my email.

It looks llike this is happening because Verizon is trying to consolidate all of your email syncrhonization in one place and some glitch is causing it to send out the random text messages from 6250 any time one of your email accounts gets a new message. This was frustrating me like crazy today, hope it helped someone with the same problem.

I've been getting these text messages on my Razr. Seems like it started after the most recent OTA update, about a week ago. However, I have not been getting them after every email I receive, just once in a while. After reading that it was not a trick text, I replied "stop" So far, I've had a couple new emails, and no further texts, but again, I never got them after every email to begin with - just once in a while.