Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Why I am buying the Incredible 4g and not the Galaxy S3

Why I went with the Incredible 4g instead of the Galaxy S3 (which a bunch of you traitors are jumping ship for):

1. Although we are waiting for confirmation but sources indicate that the Dinc 4g comes with an under-clocked S4 processor that is identical to the Galaxy S3

2. The screen is only .8mm bigger "diagonally" which honestly I couldn't care less about because the overall difference it makes in the size of the phone makes it uncomfortable to keep in my pocket.

3. The pixel density is negligibly more than the dinc 4g but on a larger screen. This means the qHD screen will look just as sharp in 4" as the Galaxy S3 in 4.8".

4. The memory is double in galaxy S3 which I like. Galaxy wins here.

5. The larger screen will likely take up any processing/ memory benefit seen in galaxy S3 and will be side by side comparable in performance. Larger screen with, although negligible, more pixels and more pixels equal more processor power to run.

6. The best selling phone on the market is the iPhone. People like it for its size and abilities. This is the first phone that compares in capability yet remains a manageable phone size (unless your a lady that carries a purse in which case you should get the Galaxy Note anyway).

7. The battery difference of 300mA is also negligible considering the additional power needed to power the larger screen. Granted you may see a small benefit to the extra miliamps but this is likely not going to be a noticeable difference.

8. TouchWiz sucks. Sense 4.0 rocks. I almost would have considered the Galaxy S3 if they had a stable version of Sense 4.0 for it but considering as of now they have not created a stable version for the Galaxy S2, I am not betting it is going to happen anytime soon.

I hope I have contributed something for the awesome people here to think about and look forward to the discussion that follows.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    dcont78 likes this.

Default Re: Why I am buying the Incredible 4g and not the Galaxy S3

1. The s3 and dinc4g both run the MSM8960, the dinc 4g, the dinc4g runs at a slightly lower clock.

2.The s3 is over 40% more area then the dinc4g. of course, i know many people who are happy with the iPhone 3.5", so size depends on your personal needs. my wife has small hands, my rezound is way to big for her.

5. I would agree that the dinc 4g is a powerful phone in a smaller chassis, as opposed to the larger phones.

The one thing I would add about the display is that s3 is super amoled and the dinc4g is slcd. having used both, i prefer slcd, but some prefer super amoled.

Code:
                             Samsung S3      HTC Droid Inc 4G
    CPU Class       Snapdragon S4   Snapdragon S4
    CPU Speed       1.5                     1.2
    Thickness        9mm                  11mm
    Memory           2GB                  1GB
    Int. Mem.        16gb                   8gb
    Display            4.8" HD             4.0" qHD
    Display Area   9.8in2                 6.8in2
    Display Type   Super Amoled    Super LCD
    Pixel Density   305ppi               275ppi
    Battery             2100mah          1700mah
    AnandTech - HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE Joining Verizon Wireless July 5 for $149

its almost a Dinc2.5. Kinda like how people dub Modern Warfare 3 as MW2.3. This would be a good phone for people that never had the original DInc or the DInc2. As for me I do have the dinc2 and quite honestly its a slight upgrade for me. Am I really willing to spend 2 years with a phone I've already had for the past year? This phone would be killer if the price point was at $150 with a $50 mail in rebate, not $199 w/rebate. And another thing was i wanted to lock in my unlimited data and since verizon didn't have a preorder for the DInc4G I went with the S3. Oh well.

For me the biggest difference is form factor. I have a original Inc and really like the size of the 4G, as well as HTC's general fit and finish. At the same time, I like the display and specs of the S3. It's going to be a matter of trying the S3 I have on order and seeing if I can live with the tablet-like size.

As an OG Incredible owner I want to make sure a few glaring issues have been addressed before committing.

1. Build quality was questionable. Durable enough, but had some noticeable creaks when being handled.

2. battery life was miserable. I had to get an extended battery to make it tolerable.

3. The Gingerbread update on my OG broke Gmail syncing. In fact, it seems like every update released by HTC broke something else. I hope HTC got it together by now.

4. Bloat-ware synonymous with the DROID brand. I'm sure there will be plenty, but it would be nice to be able to at least disable some of the junk apps.

I appreciate the early adopters volunteering as guinea pigs. Since the phone is available now, it would be much appreciated if someone could post some benchmarks and compare them to previous generation Incredibles.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by live311 View Post
    As an OG Incredible owner I want to make sure a few glaring issues have been addressed before committing.

1. Build quality was questionable. Durable enough, but had some noticeable creaks when being handled.

2. battery life was miserable. I had to get an extended battery to make it tolerable.

3. The Gingerbread update on my OG broke Gmail syncing. In fact, it seems like every update released by HTC broke something else. I hope HTC got it together by now.

4. Bloat-ware synonymous with the DROID brand. I'm sure there will be plenty, but it would be nice to be able to at least disable some of the junk apps.

I appreciate the early adopters volunteering as guinea pigs. Since the phone is available now, it would be much appreciated if someone could post some benchmarks and compare them to previous generation Incredibles.
    1. Been using the phone roughly a week, feels extremely solid and had a tight back to it

2. Used on WiFi because device was not active, can't say at the moment how it will fair

3. Not sure at this point

4. All pre installed apps can be disabled under the app manager.

Quote Originally Posted by live311 View Post

I agree 100% with this post (except #1 but that is personal opinion all the way )
    I loved my og dinc and I have the dinc 2 now for 2 days as a free warranty replacement.
    I played with both the dinc 4g and the s3 and am really looking foward to the s3. I just really felt like the new dinc was done to death, and I felt bored ...... However the s3 is a monster of a phone and I do not know how I will feel about that as the time goes by .... The dinc 4g is still a tight little package ( I do want to try some more screen size though ) . I am sure that no matter which phone you get it will be loved.

ROM
    CM7.2 / Incredikernel

Just wondering if those of you who purchased the Inc4G over the GS3 are happy with your decision? I was wanting to buy the Inc4G but Verizon held it for so long I had to get something before the 28th to keep my unlimited data and get subsidized pricing. I don't regret my decision because I really like my GS3 for the most part, stupid encrypted bootloader, and enjoy it. I'm going to go to my local Verizon store and check out the Inc4G because I would like to mess with it and try Sense 4.0

i would buy this phone just because im so used to HTC and the form factor as well... this phone is smaller and fits better in my hand compared to the Galaxy... another reason why i want to get rid of my rezound for the incredible
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,067 Global Posts

I'm ditching my Nexus for an Incredible 4G. I had the Incredible 2 prior, and loved it. So far the only thing I heard about the Incredible 4G that I dislike is that I can't disable 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    I'm ditching my Nexus for an Incredible 4G. I had the Incredible 2 prior, and loved it. So far the only thing I heard about the Incredible 4G that I dislike is that I can't disable 4G.

You probably can if you download phone info from the playstore and there will be a menu that pops up and change it from lte/CDMA to CDMA only

GSIII VZW via tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    You probably can if you download phone info from the playstore and there will be a menu that pops up and change it from lte/CDMA to CDMA only

GSIII VZW via tapatalk 2
    Yep, you can.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,067 Global Posts

GSIII VZW via tapatalk 2
    Awesome, thank you for the tip!

Banned

Global Posts
    3,067 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    Yep, you can.
    Thanks. I don't live in a 4G area, and didn't want the battery to drain quickly.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

The battery won't be draining quickly on this one. Remember that the Inc 4G uses Krait. The LTE is on chip and also the whole chipset got a die shrink to 28nm. Krait has gotten raves everywhere for its outstanding battery efficiency.

Also, the iPhone is not the best selling phone. The Samsung Galaxy phones outsell it on an individual model basis and on an OS platform basis Android outsells iPhone 2 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    The battery won't be draining quickly on this one. Remember that the Inc 4G uses Krait. The LTE is on chip and also the whole chipset got a die shrink to 28nm. Krait has gotten raves everywhere for its outstanding battery efficiency.

Also, the iPhone is not the best selling phone. The Samsung Galaxy phones outsell it on an individual model basis and on an OS platform basis Android outsells iPhone 2 to 1.
    The iPhone 4s outsells any single model, GS3 included.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Wrong.

Don't fall for Apple's spin - the Galaxy S outsells the iPhone. And the S3 has been smoking the iPhone in the short time it has been on market. It's a major reason apple has been going to court like they have - they can't beat Android in the market and so instead are playing on technologically ignorant judges to try to do their dirty work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    Wrong.

Don't fall for Apple's spin - the Galaxy S outsells the iPhone. And the S3 has been smoking the iPhone in the short time it has been on market. It's a major reason apple has been going to court like they have - they can't beat Android in the market and so instead are playing on technologically ignorant judges to try to do their dirty work for them.
    You need to get some new sources. The iPhone 4s has the highest market share (and thus sales) of any phone on the market. The S3 does not outsell the iPhone, and the S2 did not either.

Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

Quick question. I was playing with my friends Inc4g and loved most things about it. Especially the form factor. Another poster brought up the s4 processor speed. If you rooted this, could you bump it up to match the Galaxy S3? And do it safely? Oh also, to the original poster, the Galaxy S3 is .8 inches larger, not mm. That difference is significant. Too big for me I think.

So I am in the same boat right now roughly. I have the S3 and honestly like it, but it kind of goes against everything I stand for lol. One I don't like having the "it" product. 2 HTC is struggling when honestly they put out better phones and I am technically supporting Samsung. The only android phone I have owned that I liked was my Thunderbolt (I've had an LG, Motorola, and Samsung phone) so I am thinking about switching back. The 2 biggest reasons are the screen size, yeah its nice and its thin, but it is just huge. Finally not being able to switch to Bluetooth when you had headphones plugged in is beyond frustrating. I drive a lot for my job and play my music through my speaker. The S3 is not smart enough to switch over to Bluetooth causing the call to go through my speakers. The quality is horrible and their is a terrible echo on the other end.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    Another poster brought up the s4 processor speed. If you rooted this, could you bump it up to match the Galaxy S3? And do it safely?
    The DInc 4G isn't currently rootable (unless something changed in the last 24 hours and I missed it), but I have read that it is underclocked, if that helps you.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

I hate how screen size seems to be a main feature that differentiates a high-end smartphone from a low-end or midrange one. I truly believe that an ICS-based 4G LTE phone at 4 inches, powered by an S4, with the camera from the Rezound is a high-end phone.

The DROID Incredible 4G LTE holds it's own against the Galaxy S3. If you're a fan of the smaller form-factor, the DINC4G is a great pick.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I hate how screen size seems to be a main feature that differentiates a high-end smartphone from a low-end or midrange one. I truly believe that an ICS-based 4G LTE phone at 4 inches, powered by an S4, with the camera from the Rezound is a high-end phone.

The DROID Incredible 4G LTE holds it's own against the Galaxy S3. If you're a fan of the smaller form-factor, the DINC4G is a great pick.

I disagree I think the screen is one of the most important specs its the first thing you will notice as soon as you pick it up but I think the inc lte is still a great phone though..

Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

I disagree I think the screen is one of the most important specs its the first thing you will notice as soon as you pick it up but I think the inc lte is still a great phone though..

I think screen type (AMOLED, SLCD) should matter more than screen size. Resolution should be relative to screen size. qHD at 4 inches is just fine.

Put the specs of the GS3 in a phone with qHD at 4 inches and suddenly it's not perceived to be high-end anymore. I'm saying that that shouldn't be the case.

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I disagree I think the screen is one of the most important specs its the first thing you will notice as soon as you pick it up but I think the inc lte is still a great phone though.
    Yes, but for some of us a smaller screen is an asset and a larger screen is a drawback. Just because someone doesn't want to carry a tablet in their pocket doesn't mean they don't want top of the line specs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast