Explain Storage Locations

Jwerfel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain the different storage locations on the Incredible 4G? I see it says I have 8GB total and 4.44 available. Then it says on internal storage I have 565MB in Apps and 568 available. Then on phone storage I have 3.88 GB available and then it describes the SD card (which obviously I understand).

On my old Android phone I put most of my apps on the SD card to save internal memory which made the phone run a little smoother.

What is the best thing to do in ICS? Should I move apps from one place to another?

Thanks

EJ39

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It looks to me like a similar setup to the original INC which I just upgraded from. It had 512MB of internal app storage, and 8GB of internal flash storage for music, pictures, documents, etc. It seems that HTC has done the same thing but just increased the internal app storage to ~1gb up from 512mb, and the internal flash storage is still 8GB (of which only ~4GB are useable :-\ )

What I want to know is, with ICS can you move apps to your SD Card? This is why I have a 32GB SD Card, for a ton of apps.
The only thing I have been able to do is move apps between that internal app storage and internal flash storage but not to the SD Card.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is, with ICS can you move apps to your SD Card? This is why I have a 32GB SD Card, for a ton of apps.
The only thing I have been able to do is move apps between that internal app storage and internal flash storage but not to the SD Card.

I don't think you can, at least not without rooting (and this device isn't rootable yet). Hopefully someone will come on here and tell me I'm wrong.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately you cannot put apps on the SD. It's the same on the EVO LTE.

Some apps do let you choose a custom directory though. This way you can put some content on the SD card.

Hask12

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a program on my phone that i got from the store called APP 2 Sd. It allows me to move my apps to my storage card. So now what?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a program on my phone that i got from the store called APP 2 Sd. It allows me to move my apps to my storage card. So now what?

Are you sure they actually go to the card?

If you're using the app I'm thinking about, it moves the apps to the /sdcard location, which is the internal memory.

The SD card data is located in /sdcard/ext_sd/.

dcont78

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
App 2 SD is useless with this and [I believe] all ICS phones. Unless apps have the ability to be saved to a specific path, the best you can do is move them to the phone storage (i.e. the 8GB flash memory inside the phone). Best way to do this is:
Settings-> Apps-> select the "Phone Storage" tab. Listed are the apps that can be moved from internal storage to the 8GB of phone storage. Go down the list, select each one and choose "move to phone storage". When the app is successfully moved to the phone storage, a green checkmark will appear next to the app name in the list.

I went out and bought a nice class 10 32gB SD card when I got this phone... which is now mostly useless because I'll never have 32GB worth of music, pics etc. Coming from a Gingerbread HTC phone before this, I was used to storing as many apps as possible on the SD card like you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21