Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dezignstuff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Flexing / creaky battery cover

About a month into owning, my battery cover started to flex with an audible creaking noise on the left hand side, half way down at the seam of the cover with the phone body.. It got annoying because it did it every time I held the phone. The phone had never been dropped, and it didn't look like any of the tabs were broken. Random. So HTC sent me a new cover. Now, the replacement cover is flexing/creaking on the right side just under the volume rocker. I don't want to deal with this, as I really like the phone otherwise and the likelihood of there being any more modest sized, powerful Andoid handsets is pretty low for the foreseeable future. Anyhow...anyone else have any back cover flexing? Should I push for a replacement and in anyone's experience, is this even something they'd replace a phone for??? PS, I have to go through HTC b/c I bought the phone from newegg.com, not Verizon.

Default Re: Flexing / creaky battery cover

I have the Droid Incredible 2 and my battery cover ALWAYS does that. I seem to ignore it, just because I think its funny. But it can definitely get annoying sometimes. But to assure you, you are not the only one that has that problem.

Away from that, how do you like the phone? I was thinking about upgrading, but I realized that my phone still worked perfectly. If you want another phone about that size, there is the Razr M. But I don't think it has a removable battery, so it comes with compromises, but seems like a VERY high build quality.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I have the Inc4G also, and recently I noticed the same thing. I originally bought the cover when i got the phone, but hadn't used it in quite some time because I liked the sleekness of the phone without the cover on. Then I noticed the creaking of the battery cover. It started to get annoying and so I put the case back on and no creaking. However, like you said, I love the phone other than this small issue. I'm sure it is just a design flaw and I doubt VZW would replace it if all of the phones have this issue. I'd like to think they would. I would like to know if anyone has tried to return it.

Try a couple layers of duct tape on the back of the battery.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    dcont78 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

HTC says "known issue, but since it does not affect usability" there is nothing they can do. *shrug*
    Guess I'm buying a case/cover lol.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

@ dobermans rule,
    I really like the phone overall. It's fast, a good size and I'm very impressed w/ the camera. I highly recommend it if/when you replace your 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dcont78 View Post
    @ dobermans rule,
    I really like the phone overall. It's fast, a good size and I'm very impressed w/ the camera. I highly recommend it if/when you replace your 2.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common problem with HTC battery doors. It was an occasional problem on my original Incredible, and a constant problem almost right away with my Rezound.

With the Rezound, the creaking was occurring right near the micro USB port. I fixed the problem with just a little bit of scotch tape!

I examined the inside of the back door and and decided it put some tape right over an indentation that sits adjacent to the port. I cut a pretty tiny strip (about 1/4" x 1/8".). It wasn't thick enough, so I taped 4 layers of tape together and then cut out a strip from it and it worked perfectly! It cushions the area that used to creak and doesn't come off when I change the battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

@dmark44, interesting. This is my 4th HTC Android phone and the first time I've had the issue. Anyhow, my phone "insurance" company (Mobile Device Protection Association -- thru newegg mobile) has offered to fix/replace the phone but it requires me to mail it in and go without a phone for a week. I think I'm just going to call it a day and deal with it, begrudgingly